Reception yesterday

Benwell Lad

Credit where it's due and all that, and support our team always, but I thought the reception the team got after yesterday's match was just embarrassing.

It was like we'd won something or it at least actually meant something.

A 0-0 draw, our fourth consecutive scoreless home game, which was as meaningless as a friendly to us, and takes us to 12th in the table.

Steven Taylor walking round the pitch like a young Niall Quinn milking applause and trying to become Tyneside's Mr.Popular.

So sad that one of the highlights of another mediocre season is putting a spanner in the works of a side for whom the game did ACTUALLY mean something.

it was the performance more than the result. I for one had us down for a hammering due to the awful performances of late but to keep the title contenders at bay and possibly win shows how much our fans appreciate some good football.

put it this way we have not had much to shout about this season except the run in the uefa, I for one would say its a good thing to give the team a "pat on the back" when we play well and they deserve being boo'ed when we play poorly.

I know what your trying to say when it comes to reacting over the top, but i feel the side need a boost and the way we played followed by the reaction of the fans can only help the side

The peformence was really good,but really,a 0-0 draw and people started reacting as if we won the league

Performance was OK - maybe quite good - we held a very good side at home, but can anyone remember Petr Cech being tested or equally significantly them testing Harper ?

The peformence was really good,but really,a 0-0 draw and people started reacting as if we won the league

Performance was OK - maybe quite good - we held a very good side at home, but can anyone remember Petr Cech being tested or equally significantly them testing Harper ?

No on both.

Steven Taylor walking round the pitch like a young Niall Quinn milking applause and trying to become Tyneside's Mr.Popular.

He is really starting to get on my tits of recent (dunno why like) and i was supporter of another team id hate the bassad

put it this way we have not had much to shout about this season except the run in the uefa, I for one would say its a good thing to give the team a "pat on the back" when we play well and they deserve being boo'ed when we play poorly.

I know what your trying to say when it comes to reacting over the top, but i feel the side need a boost and the way we played followed by the reaction of the fans can only help the side

Agreed - credit where due - but considering pretty much the same bunch turned in such gutless performances recently against Man City,Wigan, Pompey etc which effectively meant our season was finished in March, I thought yesterday's reception was a bit generous to say the least.

Shows how far we've gone back since Robson was given the boot.

I remember a similar game actually at the end of the crap 2000-1 season where we drew 0-0 with Arsenal near the end of the season, who just needed 1 point from 3 games or whatever anyway to secure a Champions League spot, and Robson said, "that's for the fans".

Guest Knightrider

Damned if we don't, damned if we do. See Hindu Times' thread.

Because we aren't good enough to match Chelsea for the league title etc. = boo

We ONLY draw with them at home = boo

Make your minds up, can't have it both ways. That performance and result merited a fantastic backing because our shower of shite, and we are a shower of shite, more than matched a team that is a million miles away from us at the moment.

A point, with our team against theirs which is second in the league and with one trophy already in the bag, could well sweep the lot = great result = applause.

As for Taylor milking the support, why not, he deserved it, he just dominated one of the world's most in form and fearsome strikers, something not many do. And it isn't as if he's not like that normally, he always gets overexited and goes OTT with the celebrations. See his first goal for the club.

Guest the_guv_nor

To be fair to taylor he was applauding the fans for there good support which is more that i can say for most of the players, I.e Carr who went straight down the tunnell, dont think he even clapped at all.

Surely yesterdays reception was more to do with the fact everyone (if we're being honest) fully expected us to get raped off Chelsea. I would have bet the mortgage on them to win (glad I didn't!).

The result and subsequent response from the fans was probably more about relief than jubilation. Relief and surprise that we didn't get gubbed and that the feckless home side didn't produce another Sheff Utd (h), Fulham (a), or Charlton (a).

Rightly or wrongly, thats where out expectation levels are these days. Says it all really...............

Guest the_guv_nor

Don't agree HTT, I think Benwell Lad's got it spot on.  We held Chelsea to a 0-0 draw ffs.  Big f****** deal.  Good thread with similar things being said on TT, I liked this post:

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=13086&view=findpost&p=315149

I'd say it was quite a big deal stopping chelsea from scoring a goal when they had there best team on the field. It may not make much difference to the league, but whenever you get points from the top 3/4 its something to be quite proud of.

Not only that, but i for one felt quite happy with the fact that we may have helped to stop them winning the league.

Surely yesterdays reception was more to do with the fact everyone (if we're being honest) fully expected us to get raped off Chelsea. I would have bet the mortgage on them to win (glad I didn't!).

The result and subsequent response from the fans was probably more about relief than jubilation. Relief and surprise that we didn't get gubbed and that the feckless home side didn't produce another Sheff Utd (h), Fulham (a), or Charlton (a).

Rightly or wrongly, thats where out expectation levels are these days. Says it all really...............

Don't understand why people were expecting a hammering? Not like we've been turned over at home this season is it?

Guest the_guv_nor

People keep going on about 'bringing back the noise' and 'getting behind the team' and look at the reactions when you do!

Guest magpies_rawk

if we have the right to jeer shitty performances, the team deserves applause when they work hard and do well on the pitch.

granted, this shows how far we've fallen since 5 years back but it shouldn't prevent us from getting behind the team everytime they give 100%.

Don't understand why people were expecting a hammering? Not like we've been turned over at home this season is it?

Not sure if thats sarcasm or not. If not then:-

Birmingham 1-5

West Ham 2-2

Boro 0-0

Man City 0-1

Sheff Utd 0-1

Charlton 0-0

Fulham 1-2

May not have been gubbings but very poor performances against sides way inferior to Chelsea, hence the low levels of expectation. 

Guest Knightrider

People keep going on about 'bringing back the noise' and 'getting behind the team' and look at the reactions when you do!

Exactly, in truth it would be great if we celebrated every win or point (in the right circumstances) like that, that's how every team under KK was greeted, even when we were beating the dross of the league where we were expected to hammer those sides... or losing 1-0 at home to Man Utd.

But that's a different issue.

How many fans expected a decent performance and a point yesterday? Not many. But we did and I see nowt wrong with fans being more than satisfied by the point and performance. I mean this is one of our worst sides in recent memory playing against one of the best sides the Premiership has seen, they were at full strength or thereabouts while we were missing one or two of our better players. We had nowt to play for, they did. Why shouldn't fans be happy when their poor team does well against a better team in a match we were expected to lose and to many, by a good margin. Lets be realistic here.

Of course, in the greater scheme of things, a nil-nil draw at home to Chelsea should be seen as a disappointment, because as a club, we have all the tools to be matching those clubs and to beat them on our own patch, we should expect this from the club. But we aren't in a position to challenge them or compete with them because of the idiots running things. Now if we had a good team, a good manager and were high in the table, then a point at home to Chelsea would be a bad thing. But I'm more than happy with the point and performance, especially as I expected neither.

Until things change for the better at the club people, then these OTT celebrations are gonna be par for the course, just like us lot not being up for the lesser games as much as we are when the Man Utds role up at St. James' Park is par for the course.

In the other thread, many are saying and rightly so, that the team need to turn up for us to get behind them in many of the games.

Well how different is that to this:

The club need to set some high standards first before we can start deeming 0-0 draws against big teams as a disappointment.

?

Not sure if thats sarcasm or not. If not then:-

Birmingham 1-5

West Ham 2-2

Boro 0-0

Man City 0-1

Sheff Utd 0-1

Charlton 0-0

Fulham 1-2

May not have been gubbings but very poor performances against sides way inferior to Chelsea, hence the low levels of expectation. 

Yeah, crap against crap opposition. Okay then, I'll give you...

Man U, 2-2

Chelsea, 0-0

Liverpool, 2-1

Arsenal, 0-0

Everton, 1-1

Bolton, 1-2

Reading, 3-2

Spurs, 3-1

Portsmouth, 1-0

Aston Villa, 3-1

That's our home record against every club above us in the table...only Bolton have beaten us.

You don't accept that a Chelsea side with the title in their midst, in a must win game, against a poor mid table side with nothing to play for (excluding pride and they don't seem to have been too arsed about that this season) would be strong favorites to win?

Hence most people's low expectation levels?

I find that strange. Not having a dig by the way. I was expecting us to conceded at least 3 personally.

Guest Knightrider

Strangely enough, we got the same result against Arsenal, yet the recpetion wasn't the same. Performance plays a big part, we'd have cheered well with that performance even if we lost, the fact we didn't just added to the celebrations, especiaclly as no fucker I bet would have expected us to keep a clean sheet against Drogba and co. Also people are reading way too much into things here. Why was the reception embarrassing, can someone answer that or explain to me why it was and what effect that will now have on the club.

Think I said in the pre-match thread, "this is just the sort of game where we always seem to pick up a jammy draw or win".

Didn't read it. I bet you would have been in the minority though. In fact, I bet if the whole ground was asked over 80% would've fancied a Chelsea win.