Oh No, Glenns bigging up Milner

Skirge

Worries me, look whats happend to Zoggy after Glenn bigged him up..

Mind credit to the lad for playing on, on Sunday  :thup: :thup:

Glenn hails brave Milner

Apr 24 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder has paid tribute to the "courage" of James Milner after revealing the winger played in the second half of Sunday's draw with Chelsea after having stitches inserted in an ankle wound.

United kept the fact that Milner was not 100% from Jose Mourinho as the England Under- 21 international certainly gave Chelsea's £13.2m Portuguese right-back Paulo Ferreira a run for his money.

Roeder told me today: "James had three or four stitches inserted into his ankle at half-time and it took a lot of courage for him to do what he did and go out there for the second half.

"And he gave Paulo Ferreira a very difficult afternoon. This is the same Ferreira who I saw play for Portugal against Belgium in Lisbon last month and who was so good he looked a different class to everyone else on the field.

"I have to say that James has come on leaps and bounds in the past couple of months and he has reaped the rewards for the amount of hard work he has done.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"He reminds me of the way Frank Lampard works in training and I cannot pay him any bigger compliment than that.

"In fact, there is no-one at our football club who trains harder than James Milner and Nicky Butt, and it is no coincidence that they are both finishing the season strongly."

The Chronicle revealed on Thursday that England boss Steve McClaren was "keeping tabs" on United central defender Steven Taylor, who has been in barn-storming form in recent months.

McClaren has also noted just how well Milner is doing, but the England boss knows that, like Taylor, the United winger is still just 21.

McClaren was at St James' Park on Sunday when Milner became the first United player to make 50 appearances in a season for United since Shay Given did the trick in 2004-05.

Given played 52 times that season, but with games against Reading, Blackburn and Wigan still to come, Milner can top that to cap what has been a fine individual campaign for him.

Meanwhile, after the dust had settled on Sunday's goalless draw, Roeder was left to reflect on the contrasting fortunes of the two young players who consider him to be their mentor from their time together at West Ham - Joe Cole and Michael Carrick.

Cole had Chelsea's only real chance in injury time as Carrick breathed a sigh of relief as he watched the proceedings on television from his home in Manchester.

However, once the final whistle went, Carrick sent a text to Roeder thanking him and United on behalf of Manchester United for putting a spoke in Chelsea's championship wheels.

Reflecting on the draw with Chelsea, and the fact that none of the four bigs boys have managed to beat United at St James' Park, Roeder said today: "We have proved we can box with the best, and now we have to find the right players with the right character to get the results against teams who are not top of the league."

We have proved we can box with the best, and now we have to find the right players with the right character to get the results against teams who are not top of the league."

Least i agree with him on something

Doesn't even know who we've got left to play, the moron.

Taylor's been in "barn-storming form" - does that actually mean pretty poor or is he just talking out his arse again?

As for Glenn, tbh I don't want to hear this sort of shite after he kept Milner off the field in Alkmaar. Closing the stable door.

Guest smoggeordie

Milner really is a model pro.

He was burning 20's in the street last night, the ones kids just gave him for the drugs he sold. ;)