Can we still go Intertoto - Can someone clarify

stozo

Just read this from the Times

While Roeder’s team will not earn plaudits for their achievements, a place in the Intertoto Cup – the summer competition that prompted Newcastle’s run to the last 16 of the Uefa Cup this season – is not beyond them. Of the clubs above them in the table, Tottenham Hotspur and Blackburn Rovers have also applied, although the former retain hopes of qualifying for European football by more orthodox means.

“There is still a chance of getting into the Intertoto Cup because we’ve got to play Blackburn – obviously, it’s not as big a chance as we’d like, but it’s possible,” Parker said. “We’d want to put everything into the next three games anyway after the season we’ve had, but there is that extra little incentive of the Intertoto Cup to think about, too.”

This seems to suggest that Portsmouth haven't applied and assuming Tottenham qualify in 7th that would mean we are only 2 pionts off the Intertoto place.

Can someone clarify if Portsmouth have or have not applied

While Roeder’s team will not earn plaudits for their achievements, a place in the Intertoto Cup – the summer competition that prompted Newcastle’s run to the last 16 of the Uefa Cup this season – is not beyond them. Of the clubs above them in the table, Tottenham Hotspur and Blackburn Rovers have also applied, although the former retain hopes of qualifying for European football by more orthodox means.

“There is still a chance of getting into the Intertoto Cup because we’ve got to play Blackburn – obviously, it’s not as big a chance as we’d like, but it’s possible,” Parker said. “We’d want to put everything into the next three games anyway after the season we’ve had, but there is that extra little incentive of the Intertoto Cup to think about, too.”

This seems to suggest that Portsmouth haven't applied and assuming Tottenham qualify in 7th that would mean we are only 2 pionts off the Intertoto place.

I cant clarify but if this is true and Tottenham finish 7th we need to finish higher then Blackburn to play in the Intertoto,right?

I cant clarify but if this is true and Tottenham finish 7th we need to finish higher then Blackburn to play in the Intertoto,right?

Yup, that's right.

Guest emre123

Ye, seen it on sky sports. They had highlighted every team who were registered for the inter - toto cup next season. Everton and Bolton are registered but are already in the Uefa Cup places. Then Tottenham who should finish 7th meaning Blackburn and Newcastle will fight it out for the Intertoto place.

Ye, seen it on sky sports. They had highlighted every team who were registered for the inter - toto cup next season. Everton and Bolton are registered but are already in the Uefa Cup places. Then Tottenham who should finish 7th meaning Blackburn and Newcastle will fight it out for the Intertoto place.

If this is the case then our game with blackburn might be slightly important..

Why would a club not apply for Intertoto when it's one off 2-leg qualification tie?  Especially when there's a 1 in 3 chance that the English entrant will play a club in the Welsh league?

Have to agree we definately should. Why aren't pompey though?

Because as well as playing one two-legged tie they will also have to play UEFA Cup qualification.

This alll starts very early and disrupts the clubs preseason, also statistics show that as the season goes on squads who have particpated in things like this tend to get more injuries.

Because as well as playing one two-legged tie they will also have to play UEFA Cup qualification.

This alll starts very early and disrupts the clubs preseason, also statistics show that as the season goes on squads who have particpated in things like this tend to get more injuries.

didnt we suffer the worst injury crisis in our club's history :)

although i think we should try our best to qualify because with European football we should attract players,also make a little bit more money from TV rights...

Ok, so we're three points behind Blackburn with three games left, one of which is against them and our goal difference is one goal higher. They have: Charlton at Home; Newcastle Away; Spurs Away.

Well, the way I look at it is if we win all three matches, and the Spurs land in 7th, we will be in Intertoto. I think it's possible, especially when you consider that if we beat Reading on Monday, we will have beaten the Spurs closest rival for that last spot.

So, our next two games at least are of great importance if we want to get into Europe. It's nice to have something to play for.

Got it in one.

It also means that if you get through those qualifiers you then play another load of meaningless games against a load of shit teams in the round robin league format of the UEFA Cup.

All games that have very little atmosphere and more potential for injuries etc.

We'd be better off giving europe a miss for a year and building towards to winning a domestic trophy or regaining a top 4 spot and therefore entry into the CL where the games are a bit more competitive and against better oppo.

Why would a club not apply for Intertoto when it's one off 2-leg qualification tie?  Especially when there's a 1 in 3 chance that the English entrant will play a club in the Welsh league?

it will be Llanelli most likely. They're third at the moment and need two points to qualify, cant finish 2nd and get UEFA.

Poor season for them this year, they are the Chelsea of the Welsh Premier (only with Spanish owners) and had a load of young spanish boys there, admittedly a lot have left now. Oh and Richie Appleby plays for them

People saying we should give Europe a miss. Why the f*ck are you moaning at our league position for then?! Let's be realistic, we're a million years from the Champions League. We might as well settle for 12th-15th every year, not qualifying for Europe. It's only 4 extra games man.

I've been trying to find out who's applied and who hasn't for a while.

A Pompey fan told me that Redknapp had no intention of applying, nor had he even heard of it. However on SSN the other day he said he would see what the chairman had to say. So no further forward.

Reading almost certainly won't apply, Coppell doesn't want in but the players do. Pray these lot finish 8th.

Blackburn, Everton and Spurs have confirmed they've applied, so we want Bolton, Everton and Spurs in 5th, 6th and 7th.

The obvious solution would be to finish above Pompey, who have a very tough last 3 games (Arsenal and Liverpool home, Everton away) Basically they need to lose all 3, we need to win all 3 and hope other results go as you'd expect, doing the BBC predictor I came out with:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8885/prem22ndaprilpredictoriw7.jpg

Pompey fan told me that Redknapp had no intention of applying, nor had he even heard of it.

Baring in mind he actually won the Intertoto Cup with West Ham, me thinks he's talking b*llocks. :lol:

Aye that was exactly what I was told. Then I heard him on SSN prattling on about how it was up to the chairman.

I think UEFA said they'd announce on June 1st who had applied - there'll probably be a ceremony on Eurosport

................. and Gary O'Neil seems to think they have applied as well.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/22042007/1/pompey-primed-door-entry.html

Portsmouth are ready to take the back-door route into the UEFA if they cannot earn direct entry - but they may have to go to Asia instead.If Pompey finish seventh in the Premiership, aided by a good result at Aston Villa on Sunday, they will gain direct UEFA Cup entry next season now Manchester United and Chelsea have booked FA Cup final places.

But eighth or ninth could still leave them with a chance via the Intertoto Cup in which Newcastle had to play only a two-leg qualifier last year against Norway's Lillestrom to reach the preliminary stages of the UEFA Cup - and went on to the quarter-finals.

Gary O'Neil still believes his side can finish high enough to leave no doubts despite a daunting final run-in away to Everton and at home to Liverpool and Arsenal.

But he is convinced the Intertoto option would hold no fears - even though the need for ankle surgery at the end of the season could ruin his own chances.

There is another problem, though. Portsmouth are waiting for a Football Association announcement that they have been invited to take part in the prestigious pre-season Asian Cup in Hong Kong in late July along with Liverpool and Fulham.

And that looks certain to clash with the date for any Intertoto qualifiers.

But O'Neil insisted: "Even if there were five Intertoto games or something we had to play I'm sure they would all take it on if there is Europe on the end of it.

"If the club said to me come in early this summer and forego a holiday to play in the Intertoto Cup I would definitely be up for it.