Kieron Dyer to Spurs???

Martin Lol

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/tottenham/article1711895.ece

Tottenham facing wages dilemma over Dyer by George Caulkin

Kieron Dyer has emerged as a summer transfer target for Tottenham Hotspur, although acquiring the Newcastle United midfield player would require a significant shift in the London club’s wage policy.

While the 27-year-old represents the prototype Martin Jol signing – he is English, quick and versatile – his present earnings far outstrip the maximum outlay at White Hart Lane.

Dyer commands a weekly wage of more than £80,000 at St James’ Park, almost double what Tottenham are understood to pay Robbie Keane, their highest earner.

While the England player may be prepared to lower his demands to revitalise his career away from the North East, where he has endured some difficult times, the difference in earnings may prove prohibitive.

As yet, there is not thought to have been substantive contact between the clubs, while the player, who has now been on Tyneside for eight years, has not expressed any public desire to leave. Indeed, he has previously said he wants to repay the club’s loyalty after a complex range of injuries.

Yet, having failed on numerous occasions to prise Stewart Downing away from Middlesbrough, Jol, the head coach, remains in the market for pace and penetration and Dyer’s ability to fill several roles could prove attractive. At times this season, he has played in wide positions, in central midfield and in attack; it is the latter quality – he has scored six goals – which may raise further questions concerning the future at Tottenham of Jermain Defoe.

Glenn Roeder has challenged Emre Belozöglu to repeat the solid performance he produced against Chelsea last weekend, with the Turkey midfield player still to show much consistency. “I thought Emre had his best game of the season for us on Sunday,” the manager said. “This followed on from Portsmouth, where I thought his first-half show was his worst 45 minutes for us. He is a very good player and he will be even better if he could be a bit more consistent.”

More than £80,000? A touch of journalistic licence, surely.

Although the article requires one small correction: "revitalise his career" should read "go out on the piss incessantly with his England squad chums"

yeh one of the 'itk's' reported this on Coys. probably a bunch of steaming crap.

Dragon's info is usually spot on, personal friend of Comolli.  He said Dyer's agent was punting him around for £6m, I'm not disputing that with him.

i think he'd do pretty well for spurs, but £6m would be an offer we couldn't turn down when you consider his wages and injury record.

I tend to agree with you but I can't imagine Levy shelling out £6m with his injury record.  Given half a chance Levy drones on and on about Anderton's injury record, can't imagine he'd want that again! :lol:

Although the article requires one small correction: "revitalise his career" should read "go out on the piss incessantly with his England squad chums"

I thought it was well known the sort of ridiculous wage Dyer is on.

I would def  let him go for 6 million, we would save a fortune in wage, ive always felt that Dyer has never lived up to his potential.  Didnt Man U offer 20 mill or summit daft like that a few seasons ago ???

I would def  let him go for 6 million, we would save a fortune in wage, ive always felt that Dyer has never lived up to his potential. Didnt Man U offer 20 mill or summit daft like that a few seasons ago ???

Jeez, Newcastle could sort out the defence with that sort of money.  Like you say though, had loads of potential.  Just showed what he was capable of in flashes.  Wasted his talent imho.

If the numbers quoted are true, imo we should sell.  His main plus point is his pace and at 27 or whatever I wonder how much longer he can keep it.  To me it makes good financial sense to sell now and fund a replacement on cheaper wages.  imo he's not played enough for us & consistently well to be indispensable, & he's surely too expensive to keep.

Never rated the little shit from day 1. He's no better now than the day he signed and he's certainly not worth £6m, let alone his £80k a week. Pedal the wanker to whoever is stupid enough to buy him. He flatters to deceive and cons most of his fans by running and running whilst actually producing the square root of fuck all.   

Never rated the little shit from day 1. He's no better now than the day he signed and he's certainly not worth £6m, let alone his £80k a week. Pedal the wanker to whoever is stupid enough to buy him. He flatters to deceive and cons most of his fans by running and running whilst actually producing the square root of fuck all.   

Don't mince your words so much mate. You should say what you really feel! ;)

Good to hear Dyer's agent rates him at £6M - I only rated him at £4M max. £6M though?

Don't mince your words so much mate. You should say what you really feel! ;)

Good to hear Dyer's agent rates him at £6M - I only rated him at £4M max. £6M though?

This is how I release the anger! Not going to talk shop on here.  :lol:

(GM knows the score  blueyes.gif)

I thought it was well known the sort of ridiculous wage Dyer is on.

What he means is its been rumoured to be £80,000 and now all of a sudden its "over £80,000".  Soon it'll be £90,000, its paper talk, chinese whispers.  I bet he's on no more then £65,000, if that, he was on £55,000-£60,000 before his last injury if I remember correctly.  Wy on earth would we give someone with anextremely serious injury who may never play at his best again, if at all, a £30,000 pay rise?  Fred may be a lot of things but he's not a complete idiot financially.

To the topic at hand, I've always been a bit of a fan of Dyer when he's played, but considering his problems and his age I'd probably be happy to get our initial fee back for him.

I don't know what shocks me more.

The idea that Newcastle are paying Dyer 80k a week, or the idea that Robbie Keane is Spurs' highest earner.

Football = fecking mental.

Not quite as simple as it seems.  When we signed him from Leeds, Keane refused to take a salary cut.  Leeds wanted him off the books and agreed to pay half his wages.  Pleat agreed to a 2 year option being bolted onto the contract thinking Leeds would pay half that as well.  He was wrong.

So it was a case of either taking up the option for a further 2 years (no signing on fees etc) but meeting all the salary or letting him walk away on a bosman.  One of the decisions that eventually led to Pleat's exit so I understand.