Allardyce to quit Bolton at end of season

Syrette

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007190619,00.html

SAM ALLARDYCE has told Bolton he is quitting at the end of the season.

Allardyce delivered the shock news to Trotters chairman Phil Gartside and is adamant he will not change his mind.

The news will stun Bolton players and fans ahead of their match with Chelsea at 12.45pm today.

Big Sam has been in charge at Bolton since October 1999. He has performed miracles on a shoestring budget, turning the club from First Division no-hopers into a Premiership force to be reckoned with.

His amazing achievements at the Reebok Stadium even put him on the brink of becoming England boss last year when Sven Goran Eriksson resigned.

It is not yet clear exactly why Allardyce has decided to quit.

There could well have been a disagreement internally about the future direction of the Lancashire club.

Allardyce has been constantly frustrated by the financial restraints put on him despite Wanderers being a top-flight club for six years.

Bolton’s board fear Allardyce may have been tapped up by a member of the consortium bidding to take over at Manchester City.

A member of the Eastlands board is believed to support the Ray Ranson bid and a move for Allardyce.

But I understand Allardyce has told Bolton that is not the case, nor the reason he wants to leave the club he also served as a player.

However, the news will certainly alert City, who look set to part company with Stuart Pearce in the summer.

Newcastle have also been long-term admirers of Allardyce.

Toon manager Glenn Roeder’s own future is also far from certain.

In Allardyce’s first season in charge, he took the Trotters to the last four of both the League Cup and FA Cup.

The following season he took them up in the play-offs and has since made them regular challengers for a European place.

Not sure where this has come from, I thought he was pretty content at Bolton.

If thats true we must do anything to get him in the summer

Replace the clueless clown with someone who actually knows what he is doing.

replace one brand of soul destroying football with another, albeit more effective one?

not for me

plus allardyce is the prototypical manager who does well on a shoestring and then falls to pieces when given money to spend....

not what we need

replace one brand of soul destroying football with another, albeit more effective one?

not for me

plus allardyce is the prototypical manager who does well on a shoestring and then falls to pieces when given money to spend....

not what we need

Maybe he is not the manager who is playing the most beautiful football in the world i agree but he is getting results

And thats most important at the end of the day.Look Chelsea for example.

Allardyce is getting 100% of every player,he has done absolutely fantastic in the transfer market with Bolton and with limited funds he signed some quality players on the cheap.He is good at that.Signing Anelka showed that he can invest money in good players.

IMO he is what we need and is million miles better then Roeder

not for me

not what we need

How do you know that he cant spend money - has he ever been given any?

We surely must make the attempt to sign him up - for all Shepherd's backing of Roeder, deep in his heart of hearts he must know that Allardyce is a better manager...

There are only two questions as far as I'm concerned -

1) It is widely assumed he was interviewed (or at least discussions were held) when Souness was sacked - why wasn't he signed then? Was it because he and Shepherd didn't see eye to eye on certain issues, and if so are those issues still present?

2) Why is he leaving Bolton now? Is he taking a break from football, putting himself in the shop window to get a more "glamourous" job or is it related to his supposedly dubious transfer dealings? In other words are there aspects of his leaving Bolton that would make him unsuitable for us?

But given a choice ONLY between those two, Roeder or Allardyce, which one? (@mrmojorisin75)

i'd be tempted to stick to be honest

i see nothing in allardyce that suggests he'll fit in at SJP in any capacity - the only thing think he'd bring that he'd do better than roeder would be his much-hyped "scientific approach" that might make the players fitter or something

everyone is clamouring for change but it's not always the best move, as we saw with souness

not for me

not what we need

i didn't say i KNEW he won't able to spend money, read it again....

curbishley is allardyce without the chip on his shoulder, spent years building at charlton with nothing then got some money and didn't do anything at all with it...he's was given 16m or something this transfer window and frankly has spaffed it all on crap

i feel, and it's only my opinon, that allardyce will do the same given a chance

not for me

not what we need

curbishley is allardyce without the chip on his shoulder, spent years building at charlton with nothing then got some money and didn't do anything at all with it...he's was given 16m or something this transfer window and frankly has spaffed it all on crap

You made the following sentence as though it was a fact:

"plus allardyce is the prototypical manager who does well on a shoestring and then falls to pieces when given money to spend...."

That would suggest that you thought that he wouldn't be able to spend money.

Now your recent post is a contradiction in itself, saying that you don't know that he wont be able to spend money, but as you perceive Allardyce as being like Curbishley, and Curbishley wasted £16m, you think Allardyce will do the same.

You cant make such syllogisms about football. Until you give him money, you dont know what he is capable of doing.

any day of the week. Get him now. People shouldn't write him off for his lack of decent experience in a well funded job or for their football style. He created a style to suit what he had to work with, it doesn't mean he'll re-create the same wherever he goes.

We surely must make the attempt to sign him up - for all Shepherd's backing of Roeder, deep in his heart of hearts he must know that Allardyce is a better manager...

There are only two questions as far as I'm concerned -

1) It is widely assumed he was interviewed (or at least discussions were held) when Souness was sacked - why wasn't he signed then? Was it because he and Shepherd didn't see eye to eye on certain issues, and if so are those issues still present?

2) Why is he leaving Bolton now? Is he taking a break from football, putting himself in the shop window to get a more "glamourous" job or is it related to his supposedly dubious transfer dealings? In other words are there aspects of his leaving Bolton that would make him unsuitable for us?

I think when he was asked he wasn`t ready to leave Bolton, Our was he waiting for the England job instead.  

Also i would take Sam over Glenn anyday.  It would be good if Roeder was having these Transfer meetings with FS and FS was then checking them with Sam on the phone after.

But given a choice ONLY between those two, Roeder or Allardyce, which one? (@mrmojorisin75)

i'd be tempted to stick to be honest

i see nothing in allardyce that suggests he'll fit in at SJP in any capacity - the only thing think he'd bring that he'd do better than roeder would be his much-hyped "scientific approach" that might make the players fitter or something

everyone is clamouring for change but it's not always the best move, as we saw with souness

How can you possibly think there isnt a huge difference between Allardyce and Roeder? Allardyce is one of the best in the business at getting underperforming players in and making them exceed any ability they previously had. His "much hyped" methods have done him very well and when he has been given money to spend he has done very well with it signing people like Diouf (another player who has flourished under him) and Anelka.

Its easy to compare Allardyce with Curbishley as they have done similar things with fairly small clubs on tight budgets but you surely must see the bigger picture and not just that one similarity? Its like saying Bellamy and Sibierski are similar players because they have scored around the same amount of goals each this season.

Don't want him. Bolton play ugly football and i never want to see that sort of play at Newcastle.

he does what he has to do to get a result with the players that hes got in front of him tbh, plus they're not nearly as bad as people make out.

Don't want him. Bolton play ugly football and i never want to see that sort of play at Newcastle.

Bolton play ugly football for a reason (although the whole "ugly football" thing is a bit of a myth nowadays).

not for me

not what we need

"plus allardyce is the prototypical manager who does well on a shoestring and then falls to pieces when given money to spend...."

Now your recent post is a contradiction in itself, saying that you don't know that he wont be able to spend money, but as you perceive Allardyce as being like Curbishley, and Curbishley wasted £16m, you think Allardyce will do the same.

You cant make such syllogisms about football. Until you give him money, you dont know what he is capable of doing.

jesus this is not an english lesson, "allardyce is the prototypical manager...." is patently a statement of my opinion rather than an assumption that i can predict the future or have some omniscient power to determine the capabilities of human beings

anyone, except you it seems, can see that i'm comparing allardyce to managers who have built a reputation at 'smaller' clubs and then failed when given money: peter taylor, mike walker, curbishley, george burley (to a degree) to name a few more

i haven't contradicted myself in the slightest 'cause i never said i "KNEW" allardyce would fail, i merely believe it and the signs point to it....with his first and only 8m fee he bought a striker that has never shown any loyalty to any club ever and barring a couple of great first seasons with arsenal has never really been worth the hype...what would he do with 20m+ at newcastle i wonder?

and saying things like: "Until you give him money, you dont know what he is capable of doing." is ridiculous...he's built his reputation on NOT spending money so why would we sign a manager like that?  surely as a club that spends a lot of money we need to be looking at a manager with a proven record of spending wisely (easy to say rather than do)...

if i knew that for the next 5 years the club were gonna give allardyce 5m max per season to spend and the had to raise the rest himself and bring the kids through then fine, i could see the sense in getting him in, but as we know that's unlikely to happen is it?

We play ugly football anyway except we don't win as many games as Bolton.  I don't really think we're in a position to have a go at them.

And we've played some wonderful stuff this season  :rolleyes:

Alkmaar at home, Reading at Home, Pompey at home (In the Carling cup). Three good performances this year that were really entertaining to watch. With a little bit better luck with injuries next year I'm sure we will see more of that.

not for me

not what we need

jesus this is not an english lesson, "allardyce is the prototypical manager...." is patently a statement of my opinion rather than an assumption that i can predict the future or have some omniscient power to determine the capabilities of human beings

anyone, except you it seems, can see that i'm comparing allardyce to managers who have built a reputation at 'smaller' clubs and then failed when given money: peter taylor, mike walker, curbishley, george burley (to a degree) to name a few more

i haven't contradicted myself in the slightest 'cause i never said i "KNEW" allardyce would fail, i merely believe it and the signs point to it....with his first and only 8m fee he bought a striker that has never shown any loyalty to any club ever and barring a couple of great first seasons with arsenal has never really been worth the hype...what would he do with 20m+ at newcastle i wonder?

and saying things like: "Until you give him money, you dont know what he is capable of doing." is ridiculous...he's built his reputation on NOT spending money so why would we sign a manager like that?  surely as a club that spends a lot of money we need to be looking at a manager with a proven record of spending wisely (easy to say rather than do)...

if i knew that for the next 5 years the club were gonna give allardyce 5m max per season to spend and the had to raise the rest himself and bring the kids through then fine, i could see the sense in getting him in, but as we know that's unlikely to happen is it?

That £8m player is one of the reasons they have gone that extra step in pushing for a European place.

Who's to say we will have big money to spend this summer anyway - or more to the point, more money than Bolton would have? After all, they have consolidated and built up their position to the extent where they can shell out 8m for Anelka - who is to say they wouldn't have offered Allardyce a warchest that dwarfs ours this summer?

Oh and I'll add my voice to those who dissented with stozo - we play ugly, ineffective football while Allardyce plays ugly winning football. No contest