Allardyce to quit Bolton at end of season

Syrette

So we should aim for continuity now we have a mediocre manager (and that's being generous), not change if there is a possibility of getting a far better manager in? What kind of world do you live in?

Who is this far better Manager Brains?

Would it be the Manager who finished below Roeder last season?

Read my post, I dont have a problem changing if there is the opportunity to get a far better Manager in (not a flash in pan media darling or Championship Manager favourite like Paul Le Guen etc) his place.

If you want me to respond to you in the future, engage your brain and read  :idiot2:

Are all the managers who finished below Roeder last season worse than him?

You claimed Newcastle fans would fall out with Allardyce as soon as the results didn't go our way like they did with Souness, I pointed out the differences and reasons why they probably wouldn't. If you are going to make comparisons expect people to pick holes at them.

ha ha you're making me laugh now 'cause i never said any of that at all!!

what i said was "the fans won't like the guy from the off" and "if results go against him he'll retreat into his shell and fight with the press just like souness did"

never said the fans would want him out at all just that we're "suspicious" of his loyalties, as i certainly am

if you're gonna talk sh!te expect to get laughed at

What makes you think the fans wont like him from the off? and you claim I talk s**** :lol:

i honestly think people are suspicious of the type of football he plays at bolton (and i agree with you and others that our current quality is worse than bolton but that means nowt), everyone i know and have spoken to BAR NONE have basically said "f@ck that" when the prospect is raised of allardyce as NUFC manager and it's what i say too, i don't like the guy as a man or a football manager

it's like that lad NE5 says about the board, same thing, we might have a bad one but clamouring for a slightly better one (in certain areas) might not be the best thing eh? 

comes back to the other post i made - if winning (a few more) matches is all you care about then allardyce is your man, and i thought i was missing the bigger picture

It means everything tbh, which is why we are even having this discussion in the first place. Anyway, it seems you are pretty much alone on here claiming the majority of our fans will not like the idea of Allardyce as our new manager. Doesn't that tell you anything, being alone yet claiming to speak for a majority?

firstly it's an internet forum pal, hardly reflective of general opinion is it? 

secondly my point is that because we're playing awful football right now under roeder how does that become an endorsement to sign a manager with a long history of playing awful football?  even if it's better than we play right now it's still awful pal

An internet forum will give a more unbiased opinion than "your mates down the pub". Its a large cross section of fans who often have different opinions and the fact the majority would go for Allardyce says a lot imo. 

i've always stated this is my perception of the situation, nothing more nothing less

however this place is full of bairns who are clamouring for change for the sake of it

the same w@nkers who were complaining about robson and saw him replaced with souness

My argument doesn't hold, so people with a different opinion must be either bairns who don't know what they're on about or w@nkers who always complain..

touche, good point - comes across as a bit petulant that but i'll stand by my opinion that there's to much desire for change for the sake of it and that allardyce would not be a popular choice as manager (but perhaps not as unpopular as i seem to think)

Guest Nappy Rash

Oh this thread is destined for stupid questions now I see.

Where are baby pigeons? How come you never see any.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Roeder, if backed (or even if not) and without our horrendous injury list could finish above Allardyce again?

Unless that answer is no chance, then what the fuck is the point in changing?

Give the whingers a new target to oust in 12 Months. :idiot2:

I obviously want us to play attractive football but surely winning is what counts at the end of the day?

tell you what i've just looked at that poll about this and i'm blown away that 80% of people on here would go for allardyce, i really am...

this, to me, can only be attributed to dissatisfaction with roeder rather than any affinity with allardyce

and as for attractive football yeah, of course, but i never want us to become consumed by winning...when we were losing the league or cups to manu i never wanted to see toon players chasing refs about screaming, or seeing players diving or whatever to get the win...

to allardyce, from my perspective, it's only about winning....when have we EVER been about that?  and by the way bolton are 4 wins ahead of us in the table and we've had what is to be considered a travesty of a season, whereas bolton have had just about their best season ever....

are you that sure that given time in the summer to fulfil his plans, assuming he has them, and with michael owen playing say 20 games that we couldn't do just as well with roeder as we could with allardyce?  i'm not....

You cant go from a poor, boring team to an attractive team overnight - it takes years of work on the training ground. Took Sir Bobby Robson 2 years and 3 months to get Newcastle flying. Same with all new managers - results come ahead of performances

Sam Allardyce has, with limited resources got a team with lower ability playing more attractive football than we are right now. The whole boring direct Bolton is a pure myth based on Bolton's first two seasons in the Premiership. Would suggest that you dont watch many non-NUFC matches.

You need to get rid of your ideology, as things wont happen the way you want, even if the idea of  attractive football plus results is the best outcome.

PS stop permanently contradicting yourself, you do this in every single thread, and makes you impossible to respond to.

when do i contract myself?

So we should aim for continuity now we have a mediocre manager (and that's being generous), not change if there is a possibility of getting a far better manager in? What kind of world do you live in?

Who is this far better Manager Brains?

Would it be the Manager who finished below Roeder last season?

Read my post, I dont have a problem changing if there is the opportunity to get a far better Manager in (not a flash in pan media darling or Championship Manager favourite like Paul Le Guen etc) his place.

If you want me to respond to you in the future, engage your brain and read  :idiot2:

If your point is Roeder is the better manager because he finished above Allardyce last season, why don't you check out the Premiership table as it currently stands?

If you don't have a problem with bringing in a far better manager than Roeder who is available and would consider coming to us (i.e. excluding the likes of Hiddink and Hitzfeld that some people on here seem to believe are realistisc targets) than why not at least consider Allardyce, who has proven he can get teams with far less potential and money than us challenging for European football year after year, during which time we have only moved backwards..?

We could have stuck by Daglish or even SBR who had credentials, we didnt, totally irrelevant.

What we dont need is another change for change sake and someone of a similar ilk, Roeder finished above Allardyce last season, why cant he do it again next season if he is backed and he doesnt have an injury list as long as the list of petulant, pessimistc, doom-mongering, whinging, feet stamping whingers on here?

Do you think there isn't a reason no fucker decent wants this job?

You get 12 Months to win something or you're f*****.

Anyway, I've resigned myself to Shearer being Freds last throw of the dice, if and when he's ready.

This reminds me of when Joe Kinnear was Manager of the Year with Wimbledon.........

I don't see how the continuity comment is irrelevant, its as valid as those putting the opposite view across.  I don't agree that managers only get 12 months here, Keegan got longer and so did Sir Bobby.  Souness got slightly longer, too long and went because he wasn't up to the job, Roeder is no better than him.  The only reason managers don't get longer is because they're not good enough, we keep appointing the wrong manager.

To say we need continuity with a poor manager is plain crazy, its an acceptance of shite.

I agree that nobody wants the job, I don't think they want to work for Shepherd, it may be different for somebody like Allardyce if they're out of work, I do think Allardyce is much better than Roeder.

The Allardyce debate is a fascinating one ...

I really wish he had got the England job just so we would all know once and for all how good he really is.

I for one have no clue. He could excel or he could flop in my opinion.

The one thing that doesn't work in his favour is his awful manner. He is brash and he is prone to having a proper whinge when he doesn't do well. A classic excuse maker and blame shifter when things don't work out. Also quick to give himself a pat on the back when things do go well.

Therefore should things not work out well for him right off the bat I for one would be very frustrated because I wouldn't exactly be rooting for him to turn things around. If I am being honest I would probably lose patience with him very quickly.

Allardyce does seem to be a guy who picks up players who are 'nobodies' and gets them to punch above their weight or he gets in guys who have been written off and gets them to play at a hgiher level again. He works well with the underdogs.

However, could you really see him managing the kind of players that play at Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal? He always claims he wants a top club but I'm not sure the players at these clubs would respect him. I'm not sure they would play for him the way his cast offs do. He just doesn't seem to have the right demeanour about him. It's a tough one though I must admit.

Just in comparison a  manager that does seem to have a top manager demeanour about him his Readings Steve Coppell for example.

I would be more inclined to believe Coppell would work well with big players than I would Allardyce.

Just my opinion though ...

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Roeder, if backed (or even if not) and without our horrendous injury list could finish above Allardyce again?

Unless that answer is no chance, then what the fuck is the point in changing?

Its a very valid question to your very stupid point. Lets look over their careers for a fair assesment, who would you say was the better manager? The one who got 3 clubs relegated or the one who has built and vastly improved a championship team so they are now challenging for Europe, have a great coaching set up and in the process have spent a hell of a lot less money than us doing it?

Unless that answer is no chance, then what the f*** is the point in changing?

The worrying thing is mate, we've looked better when we've had injuries and Roeder hasn't had a decision to make over team selection.

You claimed Newcastle fans would fall out with Allardyce as soon as the results didn't go our way like they did with Souness, I pointed out the differences and reasons why they probably wouldn't. If you are going to make comparisons expect people to pick holes at them.

ha ha you're making me laugh now 'cause i never said any of that at all!!

what i said was "the fans won't like the guy from the off" and "if results go against him he'll retreat into his shell and fight with the press just like souness did"

never said the fans would want him out at all just that we're "suspicious" of his loyalties, as i certainly am

if you're gonna talk sh!te expect to get laughed at

What makes you think the fans wont like him from the off? and you claim I talk s**** :lol:

i honestly think people are suspicious of the type of football he plays at bolton (and i agree with you and others that our current quality is worse than bolton but that means nowt), everyone i know and have spoken to BAR NONE have basically said "f@ck that" when the prospect is raised of allardyce as NUFC manager and it's what i say too, i don't like the guy as a man or a football manager

it's like that lad NE5 says about the board, same thing, we might have a bad one but clamouring for a slightly better one (in certain areas) might not be the best thing eh? 

comes back to the other post i made - if winning (a few more) matches is all you care about then allardyce is your man, and i thought i was missing the bigger picture

It means everything tbh, which is why we are even having this discussion in the first place. Anyway, it seems you are pretty much alone on here claiming the majority of our fans will not like the idea of Allardyce as our new manager. Doesn't that tell you anything, being alone yet claiming to speak for a majority?

firstly it's an internet forum pal, hardly reflective of general opinion is it? 

secondly my point is that because we're playing awful football right now under roeder how does that become an endorsement to sign a manager with a long history of playing awful football?  even if it's better than we play right now it's still awful pal

An internet forum will give a more unbiased opinion than "your mates down the pub". Its a large cross section of fans who often have different opinions and the fact the majority would go for Allardyce says a lot imo. 

i've always stated this is my perception of the situation, nothing more nothing less

however this place is full of bairns who are clamouring for change for the sake of it

the same w@nkers who were complaining about robson and saw him replaced with souness

My argument doesn't hold, so people with a different opinion must be either bairns who don't know what they're on about or w@nkers who always complain..

touche, good point - comes across as a bit petulant that but i'll stand by my opinion that there's to much desire for change for the sake of it and that allardyce would not be a popular choice as manager (but perhaps not as unpopular as i seem to think)

Fair enough! I can see where you're coming from too if you don't believe Allardyce is a good enough manager for us, but I think most people realise we can't realistically hope for anybody much better at this point in time.. Who would you consider replacing Roeder with?

I obviously want us to play attractive football but surely winning is what counts at the end of the day?

tell you what i've just looked at that poll about this and i'm blown away that 80% of people on here would go for allardyce, i really am...

this, to me, can only be attributed to dissatisfaction with roeder rather than any affinity with allardyce

and as for attractive football yeah, of course, but i never want us to become consumed by winning...when we were losing the league or cups to manu i never wanted to see toon players chasing refs about screaming, or seeing players diving or whatever to get the win...

to allardyce, from my perspective, it's only about winning....when have we EVER been about that?  and by the way bolton are 4 wins ahead of us in the table and we've had what is to be considered a travesty of a season, whereas bolton have had just about their best season ever....

are you that sure that given time in the summer to fulfil his plans, assuming he has them, and with michael owen playing say 20 games that we couldn't do just as well with roeder as we could with allardyce?  i'm not....

You cant go from a poor, boring team to an attractive team overnight - it takes years of work on the training ground. Took Sir Bobby Robson 2 years and 3 months to get Newcastle flying. Same with all new managers - results come ahead of performances

Sam Allardyce has, with limited resources got a team with lower ability playing more attractive football than we are right now. The whole boring direct Bolton is a pure myth based on Bolton's first two seasons in the Premiership. Would suggest that you dont watch many non-NUFC matches.

You need to get rid of your ideology, as things wont happen the way you want, even if the idea of  attractive football plus results is the best outcome.

PS stop permanently contradicting yourself, you do this in every single thread, and makes you impossible to respond to.

quite a lot.

You say:

"I didn't say that this would happen"

"But I think that this thing that I didnt say would happen will happen"

I really wish he had got the England job just so we would all know once and for all how good he really is.

The one thing that doesn't work in his favour is his awful manner. He is brash and he is prone to having a proper whinge when he doesn't do well. A classic excuse maker and blame shifter when things don't work out. Also quick to give himself a pat on the back when things do go well.

Therefore should things not work out well for him right off the bat I for one would be very frustrated because I wouldn't exactly be rooting for him to turn things around. If I am being honest I would probably lose patience with him very quickly.

Allardyce does seem to be a guy who picks up players who are 'nobodies' and gets them to punch above their weight or he gets in guys who have been written off and gets them to play at a hgiher level again. He works well with the underdogs.

However, could you really see him managing the kind of players that play at Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal? He always claims he wants a top club but I'm not sure the players at these clubs would respect him. I'm not sure they would play for him the way his cast offs do. He just doesn't seem to have the right demeanour about him. It's a tough one though I must admit.

Just in comparison a  manager that does seem to have a top manager demeanour about him his Readings Steve Coppell for example.

I would be more inclined to believe Coppell would work well with big players than I would Allardyce.

this is a much better version of what i've been trying to say this whole thread

suppose it shows that being at work is more of a distraction than i wish it was!

anyway i totally agree with all this and well said....kind of proves that some of what i said about many NUFC fans not really liking the guy is true....

quite a lot.

You say:

"I didn't say that this would happen"

"But I think that this thing that I didnt say would happen will happen"

case closed sherlock

Guest Nappy Rash

Karate Kuyt and Gejon - When the family braincell is back in your ownership feel free to engage in a debate with me.

Mick

It's totally irrelevant because we dont have a time machine.

Managers do get 12 Months here, they may last a little longer than the 12 Months before they get the bullet (or resign if you believe Freddy) but they get 12 Months and we all know it.

I agree Roeder is no better than Souness, neither is MON, but what they do have is an association with this club and a great media personality which has (and would) have bought them a little time.

I also agree we (nearly) always appoint the wrong Manager, but there is no dead-cert in appointing a Manager, SBR had the credentials to win something, Daglish had, even Gullit and Souness had.

Allardyce certainly hasnt and is no better than Roeder, despite being given the priceless commodity of time at Bolton.

To re-iterate for the Simpletons, I have no problem with changing Managers if it a definite step up and if I had said anything, you'd be able to quote me.

If he was put into a bracket it would look like this.

World Class- Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger

Excellent- Benitez

Very good- Martin O'Neill

Good manager- Allardyce 

Average- Roeder

Thats how i see it. It would be an improvement but not a massive one.

Karate Kuyt and Gejon - When the family braincell is back in your ownership feel free to engage in a debate with me.

Mick

Managers do get 12 Months here, they may last a little longer than the 12 Months before they get the bullet (or resign if you believe Freddy) but they get 12 Months and we all know it.

I agree Roeder is no better than Souness, neither is MON, but what they do have is an association with this club and a great media personality which has (and would) have bought them a little time.

I also agree we (nearly) always appoint the wrong Manager, but there is no dead-cert in appointing a Manager, SBR had the credentials to win something, Daglish had, even Gullit and Souness had.

Allardyce certainly hasnt and is no better than Roeder, despite being given the priceless commodity of time at Bolton.

To re-iterate for the Simpletons, I have no problem with changing Managers if it a definite step up and if I had said anything, you'd be able to quote me.

How easy is it to type on a message board after you have crawled up your own arse?

Mick

Utter monkey poo. blueyes.gif

Mick

Do you feel better resorting to insults when your "arguments" don't win people over?

Guest Gemmill

Allardyce represents as big a step up as Shepherd is likely to take imo.  We all know what his short list has been like the last few times we've changed manager - Steve Bruce, Graeme Souness, etc.  The bloke is not going to all of a sudden plump for some top European coach, if we could even attract someone like that.  Allardyce is clearly a step up from Roeder imo - Bolton's football may not be the greatest, but they're organised, well-drilled, and more often than not, they look like winners.  Our football mirrors Roeder's personality - insipid, wet-weekend fare.

Like I say, I think Allardyce is probably as good as we can hope for under Shepherd and he certainly represents an improvement on Roeder, so I really don't understand the opposition to getting him in.  Yes, Roeder has only had a season, but do you really want to watch him fail in yet another transfer window, and put up with another season of his shit?  I've had more than enough.

Mick

OK, I don't think you got your point across too well at the beginning.  I don't have a problem with any of that.

Allardyce does seem to be a guy who picks up players who are 'nobodies' and gets them to punch above their weight or he gets in guys who have been written off and gets them to play at a higher level again. He works well with the underdogs.

Allardyce doesn't just sign nobodies, he's had success at Bolton signing big name players that other clubs had thought were past their sell buy date, he's also had success signing players who other clubs had given up on because of their attitude, he's now got himself a good team at Bolton put together on the cheap that play far better football than we do, yes they rough the opposition up at times when they need to but I don't remember anyone complaining when we beat Arsenal that way last season at SJP. I do take your point about him not being a popular manager because of his personality but with the shit we've been served up over the last few years I don't think fans will turn on him as long as he's seen to be trying to drag the club in the right direction.

As for Coppell, this is a bloke who quit as manager of Man City after 6 games because of "pressures of the job", he'd be fucked in no time if he came here.