Bellamy to Leave Reds

Guest designer7
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's daft that anybody is directly comparing Bellamy with Martins, tbh. They're a completely different type of player. Martins is a out and out goalscorer who has a lot to learn about team play

No he's not. He's just been forced into that role this season because there's no one else. You can see that from his play inside the box, it's virtually non-existant half the time. His movement is poor. He isn't the goalscoring predator that you describe - that Owen is. Hopefully the goalscoring burden will be lifted off him when Owen returns.

Ok, so if he's not an out and out goalscorer let's judge him purely as a supporting striker. In the role of supporting striker he's nowhere near as good as Bellamy regardless of whether or not he can "fill in" as an outright goalscorer better than Bellamy.

Although his touch has been suspect at times we can't really judge Martins on being a support striker as he hasn't had a striker to support!

It's daft that anybody is directly comparing Bellamy with Martins, tbh. They're a completely different type of player. Martins is a out and out goalscorer who has a lot to learn about team play

No he's not. He's just been forced into that role this season because there's no one else. You can see that from his play inside the box, it's virtually non-existant half the time. His movement is poor. He isn't the goalscoring predator that you describe - that Owen is. Hopefully the goalscoring burden will be lifted off him when Owen returns.

Ok, so if he's not an out and out goalscorer let's judge him purely as a supporting striker. In the role of supporting striker he's nowhere near as good as Bellamy regardless of whether or not he can "fill in" as an outright goalscorer better than Bellamy.

Maybe not, but it's a bit harsh to say that when he's not played alongside a striker yet. Bellamy worked very hard for the team and did an excellent job for us but Martins, up top pretty much on his own, has had to be more selfish and go for goals himself more. He also hasn't, as was mentioned, had as good service as Bellas had.  I loved him when he was here but I'm just not sure he'd be the same player second time around.

Although his touch has been suspect at times we can't really judge Martins on being a support striker as he hasn't had a striker to support!

You can still use your brain, can't you? Haven't you heard of players being moved to another position because they show certain attributes?

I'm not posting here to criticise Martins, I think he's a good player and without his goals this season we'd be down. I think he is going to turn into more of a outright goalscorer than a supporting striker because his general play outside of the penalty area just isn't that great. He's static, his control is dodgy to say the least and he doesn't have much vision for a pass. However, his shooting power and movement in the 18 yard box is good, so is his desire to get into the right positions in the 18 yard box. I think that's where his strength is and it makes him completely different to Bellamy. Hence, it is a stupid comparison.

Bellamy is a completely differerent type of player to both Owen and Martins and I think he could complement either of those players. Bringing Bellamy back here should be a no-brainer for anyone who wants to see the team improve.

You can still use your brain, can't you? Haven't you heard of players being moved to another position because they show certain attributes?

I'm not posting here to criticise Martins, I think he's a good player and without his goals this season we'd be down. I think he is going to turn into more of a outright goalscorer than a supporting striker because his general play outside of the penalty area just isn't that great. He's static, his control is dodgy to say the least and he doesn't have much vision for a pass. However, his shooting power and movement in the 18 yard box is good, so is his desire to get into the right positions in the 18 yard box. I think that's where his strength is and it makes him completely different to Bellamy. Hence, it is a stupid comparison.

Bellamy is a completely differerent type of player to both Owen and Martins and I think he could complement either of those players. Bringing Bellamy back here should be a no-brainer for anyone who wants to see the team improve.

I don't think Martins will ever be as good as Bellamy in regards to being the creative striker but until he is actually partnered with someone who he can realistically create for we can't judge for certain. His movement and positioning suggest he is more of a deeper striker though, his natural position seems to be holding around the edge of the 18 yard waiting for something to drop rather than finidng the space inside the box.

As the moment its hard to tell exactly what type of striker he is because half the time he is having to do both jobs!

I don't think Martins will ever be as good as Bellamy in regards to being the creative striker but until he is actually partnered with someone who he can realistically create for we can't judge for certain. His movement and positioning suggest he is more of a deeper striker though, his natural position seems to be holding around the edge of the 18 yard waiting for something to drop rather than finidng the space inside the box.

As the moment its hard to tell exactly what type of striker he is because half the time he is having to do both jobs!

Dear me. Do you think a "supporting striker" (as commonly labelled) is there only to support one other player? It is a team game, this is just one player with a role in the team that will have an impact on the team, not just one other player. Not being funny, but do you know anything at all about the game of football and the idea of a team?

Dear me. Do you think a "supporting striker" (as commonly labelled) is there only to support one other player? It is a team game, this is just one player with a role in the team that will have an impact on the team, not just one other player. Not being funny, but do you know anything at all about the game of football and the idea of a team?

Sorry you are correct he has had the immense Damian Duff and attacking maestro that is Scott Parker to supply.

Your football knowledge is so far in the past you think a full back is a refund, a striker is something you use to light a match and a defensive midfielder is the shify looking bloke with something to hide so I wouldn't go questioning other peoples knowledge of modern football.

Sorry you are correct he has had the immense Damian Duff and attacking maestro that is Scott Parker to supply.

Your football knowledge is so far in the past you think a full back is a refund, a striker is something you use to light a match and a defensive midfielder is the shify looking bloke with something to hide so I wouldn't go questioning other peoples knowledge of modern football.

Don't try to get off the dole by looking for a job in comedy.

It is entirely possible to spot the attributes of a player and make a judgement (an opinion) of a player even with the problems we've had this season. I'm not saying I'm right. In fact, I never say I'm right, so there goes another myth. I have an opinion and that is all, anybody can question that opinion and I am also entitled to question yours. If you don't like that, don't post on the open forum or stop moaning on like a 5 year old when someone disagrees with you.

My opinion is that Martins and Bellamy are totally different types of player, which is why I also hold the opinion that comparing them is daft. I've seen enough from Martins to believe he can play in and around the edge of the 18 yard area and score goals due to his attributes. I don't think he is anything like what is commonly understood to be a supporting striker like Craig Bellamy, who stretches defences with pace and penetrating runs that create space for others. Martins also doesn't have the attributes of a second striker such as a Peter Beardsley or Teddy Sheringham type, who open defences up with penetrating paces due to their vision and technical ability. Fair enough that you think Martins can do these things if Duff and Parka aren't in the team. I don't.

Guest Gemmill

I agree with HTL like.  I don't see Martins as a supporting striker in the Bellamy mould or a Beardsley type.  None of this really matters though as when it comes down to it, we will be playing with Owen and Martins up front, and with the way we play football at NUFC, there are two roles available - namely, the midget who tries to win headers from our long punts upfield, and the midget who doesn't.  Owen will be the midget who doesn't.

I agree with HTL like.  I don't see Martins as a supporting striker in the Bellamy mould or a Beardsley type.  None of this really matters though as when it comes down to it, we will be playing with Owen and Martins up front, and with the way we play football at NUFC, there are two roles available - namely, the midget who tries to win headers from our long punts upfield, and the midget who doesn't.  Owen will be the midget who doesn't.

Although unsual, you are correct.

:sick bag:

Guest Gemmill

:beaming with pride:

The "auld b****** living in the past" gag.

You missed that one though, Dave.

To be fair to Dave one is a gag and one isn't ;)

Quite ironic you telling people not to whinge like a 5 year old aswell :lol:

Guest optimistic nit

there is absolutely no way martins is anything other than a goalscorer. you don't have to be alan shearer to be a goalscorer you know, there are different types of goalscorers. martins is a ver powerful player. and he will score lots of goals next season using his powerful shots. bellamy is a link up striker, and one of the best in the league. its stupid to compare the two.

and for the record regarding whoever said it, you can't force a link up striker to be a goalscorer, in the same way we tried to force luque to be a goalscorer. its not possible. your either one or the other. Bellamy wouldn't become a 20 goal a season striker if we/liverpool suddenly started to employ him as one, because its not his game. In the same way Martins is a goalscorer, not a link up striker, and its insane to suggest he's the latter playing as the former. its like deciding to ask Shay given to be a peter schem.

:lol: There's no way Martins is anything other than a goalscorer in my opinion. That's not to say him and Owen can't play togther (although I have my doubts) as two goalscorers can play together and do well. They could be a bit similar though. I see Martins as an instinctive striker but he's lacking both the touch and the vision to be a support striker from what I've seen.