The Trial of Glenn Roeder

Guest Jonny4Toon

Guest Jonny4Toon

Evidence for being crap:

- The rushed or not good enough or not needed signings i.e. Duff, Rossi, Onyewu, Sibierski, Bernard

- The failure to get the big decisions right i.e. picking teams and transfers

- The failure to drop "big name" players when they are playing shit i.e. Parker, Carr, Babayaro, Duff, Moore, Bramble

- The apparent lack of motivation he installs upon his team

- The failure to build upon the success he had last season

- The failure to keep young players in the team when they have player well i.e. Taylor, Edgar, Milner, N'Zogbia, Carroll (recently)

- The intolerable way that James Milner was treat at the start of the season

- The almost laughable losses at home against Manchester City, Fulham, Sheffield United and Bolton

- The pathetic performances away from home against Charlton Athletic, Fulham and Aston Villa

Evidence for being good:

- The magical turnaround of last season's catastrophic situation i.e. 15th to 7th (a whole 8 places in just 15 games)

- The signing of Obafemi Martins

- The semi-decent European run of this season

- The good results against the Top 4, Tottenham and Reading at St. James Park this season

- The blooding of youngsters such as Edgar, Huntington, Krul and Carroll

- The re-emergence of Nicky Butt from a fan-hated ginger to captain material

- The sellings of Boumsong, Faye, Bowyer and Viana(yes Roeder was the man who sold him)

What do you think? Guilty or Not Guilty of being a crap manager of Newcastle United Football club

Evidence for being crap:

- The rushed or not good enough or not needed signings i.e. Duff, Rossi, Onyewu, Sibierski, Bernard

- The failure to drop "big name" players when they are playing s*** i.e. Parker, Carr, Babayaro, Duff, Moore, Bramble

- The failure to keep young players in the team when they have player well i.e. Taylor, Edgar, Milner, N'Zogbia, Carroll (recently)

- The almost laughable losses at home against Manchester City, Fulham, Sheffield United and Bolton

- The pathetic performances away from home against Charlton Athletic, Fulham and Aston Villa

Evidence for being good:

- The magical turnaround of last season's catastrophic situation i.e. 15th to 7th (a whole 8 places in just 15 games)

- The good results against the Top 4, Tottenham and Reading at St. James Park this season

- The sellings of Boumsong, Faye, Bowyer and Viana(yes Roeder was the man who sold him)

What do you think? Guilty or Not Guilty of being a crap manager of Newcastle United Football club

Viana was as good as gone, not that its a positive or negative.

Guilty

Guest Kenton Magpie

Plus the run at the end of last season was just a honey moon period that most managers would have recieved had they taken over a team with souness and his authority written all over it

Darling: May it please the court, as this is clearly an open and shut case, I beg leave to bring a private prosecution against the defence counsel for wasting the court's time.

Melchett: Granted.  Counsel, he is fined fifty pounds for turning up.

I can't wait till it's fashionable to support a club and not piss on it at any opportunity.  Then again, I've read so much negative bullshit on this forum to start believing it myself.  Does it not get tiring repeating yourselves in every single fucking thread??????

I wasn't a fan of Roeder's appointment, but using him as a scapegoat got old around Christmas.  He didn't hire himself for fuck sakes.  All this

hatred is misguided, but the majority on here can't think for themselves anyway. 

Guest Jonny4Toon

Us fans cannot just sit there and watch shit! I can think for myself and I think that with Roeder as manager we will not get any closer to winning anything! Nobody knows what direction this club is headed in. We have the situation that Villa had the other season! but they got Randy Lerner and MON and I am expecting big things of them next season. That is wot we need a change of manager and chairman and soem players!!!

Sibierski was a free signing what was so bad about it? Also how is a good result against Reading a good plus for Roeder? they are a newly promoted side, we should expect nothing less than a win tbh

Agreed about Sibs. I don't think he was a poor signing. Also, I don't agree with blaming him for playing players who weren't living up to potential. For most of the season, he has had little options for who he was putting on the pitch. Whether or not people want to accept that our injury crisis had more to do with our current position than Roeder, this is the case.

My verdict: guilty, but let's see what happens and support the team on the pitch.

M'lud, I would also like the disgraceful home thrashing by a championship club which saw us out of the FA Cup and the pathetic away capitulation that saw us out of the UEFA to be added to the case for the prosecution. Also the fact that the blooding of youngsters was done out of bare necessity rather than intelligent design. (The most promising of these, we note, the young Master Krul, was a Souness signing.)

In partial mitigation, we note the rehabilitation of Dyer, and the fact that the signing of Bernard had more of a whiff of Shepherd rather than Roeder about it.

But the verdict must surely be: Guilty.

He's crap.

Utter shite in almost every respect so far. Dreadful squad building, dreadful displays, dreadful handling of the team both on and one can only imagine off the pitch, and absurd handling of the press (though no doubt Glenn Roeder blames the third person Glenn Roeder for that).

And that is excluding his previous ten long miserable years in management prior to his ill concieved appointment.

Guilty.

Us fans cannot just sit there and watch s***! I can think for myself and I think that with Roeder as manager we will not get any closer to winning anything! Nobody knows what direction this club is headed in. We have the situation that Villa had the other season! but they got Randy Lerner and MON and I am expecting big things of them next season. That is wot we need a change of manager and chairman and soem players!!!

Right there, mate.  That's what we need, a new fucking chairman/ownership/board who we can trust to get it right.  All of you fools blaming Roeder should have your head checked.  The only thing he's been guilty of is getting hired and being put in a hard spot, in a tough time for us. You can't find him guilty of doing his job the best he can.  HE'S NOT FUCKING GOOD ENOUGH!!!!  HOW IS THAT HIS FAULT??????????

This shower of shite comes from the top and rains down on all of us.  I thought it was more obvious than that? 

Guest LucaAltieri

Evidence for being crap:

- The failure to drop "big name" players when they are playing shit i.e. Parker, Carr, Babayaro, Duff, Moore, Bramble

Evidence for being good:

Average manager. He's got strong points and weak points. He's had some success and failed in other areas. I'm with Stozo... next season is time to judge. He looks keen to build a bigger squad over the summer after clearing out the deadwood. A bigger squad and no Europe could see us getting a solid top half finish.

I'm a little concerned about his lack of ability to motivate, however the right assistant/coaches should see to that... also, players should be self-motivated. The fact our lot aren't probably says more about the players than the manager.

Evidence for being good:

Nothing more than honeymoon period, similar to the one that Souness had, except Roeder was under significantly less pressure to produce results.

He certainly wasn't a bargain at £10m, although his value has probably increased marginally this season. That can go down as one 'decent' signing.

I'm struggling to remember any particularly impressive results, Palermo away perhaps. Nothing, though, can make up for that embarrassingly clueless performance in Alkmaar, and that was from Roeder, not the players. He was so utterly out of his depth that evening; I found it staggering anyone could defend him afterwards.

Just another indication of his poor motivational skills. Those games simply proved what the players could be capable of regularly under a competent manager.

Krul and Carroll have played less than two games between them. Edgar and Huntington were both given a chance, one looked a composed, highly promising defender, the other a teenager massively out of his depth - he favoured the latter.

Despite opting to play him with Parker at every available opportunity, I think it's fair to give Roeder some credit for the reemergence of Butt, although it's definitely difficult to do so when you look how much he's wrong here in a relatively short time - 'even a stopped clock...'

As mentioned, Viana was already gone. Not even Roeder could have been idiotic enough to reject Charlton's offer for Faye. And Boumsong was another no-brainer, it's just a shame Glenn felt the need to speak so unprofessionally about him in public whilst he was still here.

Let me think about that one ...

Guest redmayne

Utter s**** in almost every respect so far. Dreadful squad building, dreadful displays, dreadful handling of the team both on and one can only imagine off the pitch, and absurd handling of the press (though no doubt Glenn Roeder blames the third person Glenn Roeder for that).

And that is excluding his previous ten long miserable years in management prior to his ill concieved appointment.

Guilty.

i love the third person thing - its almost like watching david Icke - the guy is a fucking arsehole and i have no sympathy for the cunt - he will ruin the club if he is kept - that is for sure......

all his positives should be standard for a big club not looked upon with suprise!!