Oba's in the Sun again

Skirge

Watch Owen and me fly!

Apr 29 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Oba Martins

Shevchenko and Drogba can do one, Rooney and Ronaldo go take a running jump, and Kuyt and Crouch can Kop off.

Obafemi Martins believes he and Michael Owen are about to form the hottest strike partnership in the country.

And if the Nigerian's numbers are right, Premiership defences should be afraid.

Very afraid.

Martins hopes to finally make Owen's acquaintance at Reading tomorrow - more than eight months after the England striker's presence prompted him to join Newcastle.

But it is next season when the No 9 expects the No 10 to really help him repay their combined £27 million price tag . . .

By scoring 40-plus goals between them.

As Owen nears his long-awaited return from knee ligament damage, doubts remain over his compatibility with Martins.

Will two shortish speed merchants measure up together?

But the man who has shouldered United's goalscoring burden all but alone in Owen's absence has no such misgivings.

"I think we can become the most dangerous partnership in the Premiership. I really think we will be good together," former Inter Milan star Martins told the Sunday Sun.

"Michael is different in style to any other striker I have played with, but I am really looking forward to being alongside him. He is one of the best strikers in the world.

"Even the president of Inter Milan knows all about him. He wanted to sign him about three years ago.

"The first thing I thought when I heard Newcastle wanted me was: `Great, Michael Owen is there'.

Martins added: "Good players can always play together, and we will help each other. I am short but I am very physical, while Michael isn't. So I can be strong for him.

"And there will be a lot of pace and speed from both of us, so defenders won't know who to mark."

Goalkeepers also beware.

"The important thing is just to win, it isn't about who scores the most goals," Martins added.

"But Michael and me might still have a little competition to see who scores most next season.

"My target this season is to score 20 goals and I've still got three games left to reach that. And next season I would like to score even more.

"But I think Michael will score more than me."

A 20-goal haul for both men would surely mean a successful season and see Martins achieve God-like status on Tyneside.

But, for now, the 22-year-old insists he is enjoying somehow managing to live a quiet life in Newcastle . . .

So much for the players who moan that Tyneside is like a goldfish bowl.

"It was a little difficult making the change from Italy," admitted Martins. "But I am very happy playing for Newcastle after having a good first season. Even my family are here, so I am cool.

"Milan is a big place and everybody loves to live there. But Newcastle is a cool place. Everybody minds their own business.

"I am still getting used to the cold in Newcastle though. Milan is also very cold in the winter, but Milan has a summer!"

Guest LucaAltieri

So long as he keeps scoring and working hard for the toon I couldn't give a monkies what he says in the papers.

Guest TheOrder

He's gonna get slated to f*** for this, inevitably, but i gotta just love him.

Slated?

He's saying all the right things. Don't see how anyone can knock him for this, or any of his interviews. At least he's got ambition.

Watch Owen and me fly!

Apr 29 2007

Oba Martins

Shevchenko and Drogba can do one, Rooney and Ronaldo go take a running jump, and Kuyt and Crouch can Kop off.

Obafemi Martins believes he and Michael Owen are about to form the hottest strike partnership in the country.

Very afraid.

Martins hopes to finally make Owen's acquaintance at Reading tomorrow - more than eight months after the England striker's presence prompted him to join Newcastle.

But it is next season when the No 9 expects the No 10 to really help him repay their combined £27 million price tag . . .

As Owen nears his long-awaited return from knee ligament damage, doubts remain over his compatibility with Martins.

But the man who has shouldered United's goalscoring burden all but alone in Owen's absence has no such misgivings.

"I think we can become the most dangerous partnership in the Premiership. I really think we will be good together," former Inter Milan star Martins told the Sunday Sun.

"Michael is different in style to any other striker I have played with, but I am really looking forward to being alongside him. He is one of the best strikers in the world.

"Even the president of Inter Milan knows all about him. He wanted to sign him about three years ago.

"The first thing I thought when I heard Newcastle wanted me was: `Great, Michael Owen is there'.

Martins added: "Good players can always play together, and we will help each other. I am short but I am very physical, while Michael isn't. So I can be strong for him.

"And there will be a lot of pace and speed from both of us, so defenders won't know who to mark."

Goalkeepers also beware.

"The important thing is just to win, it isn't about who scores the most goals," Martins added.

"But Michael and me might still have a little competition to see who scores most next season.

"My target this season is to score 20 goals and I've still got three games left to reach that. And next season I would like to score even more.

A 20-goal haul for both men would surely mean a successful season and see Martins achieve God-like status on Tyneside.

But, for now, the 22-year-old insists he is enjoying somehow managing to live a quiet life in Newcastle . . .

"It was a little difficult making the change from Italy," admitted Martins. "But I am very happy playing for Newcastle after having a good first season. Even my family are here, so I am cool.

"Milan is a big place and everybody loves to live there. But Newcastle is a cool place. Everybody minds their own business.

"I am still getting used to the cold in Newcastle though. Milan is also very cold in the winter, but Milan has a summer!"

OMG!!! He is slagging off the city get him out the ungrateful waster ???

I love reading stuff like the article above gets me really pumped for next season, I am a realist so I don't think it is as simple as 2 top strikers and hey presto 40 goals. We need improvements all over the park, but I really hope this 2 hit it off. Teams would look at the teamsheet and fear us again if these two were at the top of their games. Their lack of height maybe an issue but Owens movement is top notch and the potential space they will create for each other is mouth watering.

Get in there Oba!!!

Watch Owen and me fly!

Apr 29 2007

Oba Martins

Very afraid.

Goalkeepers also beware.

]

:lol:

Slated?

He's saying all the right things. Don't see how anyone can knock him for this, or any of his interviews. At least he's got ambition.

Did you not see the reaction the last time he spoke to the Sun? One or two on here weren't happy.

Slated?

Did you not see the reaction the last time he spoke to the Sun? One or two on here weren't happy.

Like me. It may sound great to a lot of the fans, but I think his team-mates will be thinking that he needs taking down a peg or two. He's achieved nothing yet, and he's been playing very poorly of late.

Guest smoggeordie

Slated?

Like me. It may sound great to a lot of the fans, but I think his team-mates will be thinking that he needs taking down a peg or two. He's achieved nothing yet, and he's been playing very poorly of late.

Aye im sure his team mates would rather hear him say how shit our strikers are and we're gonna achieve nothing :lol: