Mascherano

Crumpy Gunt

He only played in the UEFA for West Ham and so is available to play in the CL. If they were in the UEFA Cup he wouldn't be allowed to play.

Liverpool had already qualified from their CL group when they signed him so they knew they wouldn't be going into the UEFA Cup.

I was wondering about this the other day.  Last season I'm sure Adebayor played for Monaco in the UEFA Cup, then couldn't play in the Champions League when he signed for Arsenal, but I could be wrong.

I was wondering about this the other day.  Last season I'm sure Adebayor played for Monaco in the UEFA Cup, then couldn't play in the Champions League when he signed for Arsenal, but I could be wrong.

[afterthought] But Monaco played a Champions League qualifier, hence meaning he couldn't play in the Champions League. [/afterthought]

The rules are weird. You can represent a team in the UEFA Cup and then be transfered and play for another team in the CL. However you can't represent a team in the CL then be transfered and then play for another team in the UEFA Cup.

Was said on 5live that Fifa had granted Mascherano 'special dispensation' to play in view of the 'exceptional circumstances'.

Don't know how or why they came to that decision.

Edit:

And 5live did say Fifa, not Uefa, so maybe it stems backs to his registration, I don't know.

Guest Rushian

The rules are weird. You can represent a team in the UEFA Cup and then be transfered and play for another team in the CL. However you can't represent a team in the CL then be transfered and then play for another team in the UEFA Cup.

It's a standard rule that applies to all clubs and has been in place for at least two seasons if not three.

Champions League

Subsequent Registration

15.17 For all matches from the start of the first knock-out round, a club may register a maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the current competition.  Such registration must be completed by 1st February 2007 at the latest. This deadline can not be extended.

15.18 One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club competition matches for another competing club in the current season may exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:

- in the same competition for another club.

- for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the player's new club is playing in the UEFA Cup, his former club must not have played in the UEFA Cup at any point in the current season.

Guest kingdawson

Playing in CL with Liverpool yet already represented WHU in UEFA.

Is it possible to represent 2 different teams in Europe? What if Liverpool had finished 3rd in their group and dropped to the UEFA Cup.

I said this in the match thread the other day. Rocha was cup-tied for us because he played Champions league football for Benfica.

"Furthermore, if the player's new club is playing in the UEFA Cup, his former club must not have played in the UEFA Cup at any point in the current season"

Rocha was cup-tied for you because Benfica went into the UEFA cup

Was said on 5live that Fifa had granted Mascherano 'special dispensation' to play in view of the 'exceptional circumstances'.

Edit:

And 5live did say Fifa, not Uefa, so maybe it stems backs to his registration, I don't know.

Aye 'Special Dispensation'. In other words the dips cried and clamied that because they have won the cl/ec 5 times the rules don't apply to them.

Guest Rushian

Edit:

Aye 'Special Dispensation'. In other words the dips cried and clamied that because they have won the cl/ec 5 times the rules don't apply to them.

Or as per usual the 5live journalist was talking out of his arse as he didn't know the rules - Mascherano could play for any club still in the Champions League if he transferred there from West Ham. There were plenty of similar transfers in January at other clubs.

On a similar note there seem to be many journalists who erroneously think that the team who finishes fourth in the league has to play two qualifying rounds in the Champions League whereas the team who finishes third has to play just one qualifying round.

The standard of journalism in this country is appalling. The lazy bastards can't even be bothered to check the regulations on the UEFA website.

Guest optimistic nit

Edit:

the exceptional circumstances being that they are liverpool i presume.