OWEN STARTS - IT'S OFFICIAL

stozo

From the Times

For the first time in 16 months, Michael Owen is set to begin a match for Newcastle United this evening. The England forward was a member of the squad that flew from Tyneside yesterday before the Barclays Premiership match away to Reading and, in a boon for both club and country, it is expected that Glenn Roeder will name the 27-year-old in his starting lineup.

:coolsmiley:

Can't wait for tomorow night now!

If Owen and Ameobi are the starting forward line tomorrow, I'll be excited and shitting myself. I can't wait to see those two back together and with Martins because they will score goals but I fear it's too early to be starting them.

If Owen and Ameobi are the starting forward line tomorrow, I'll be excited and shitting myself. I can't wait to see those two back together and with Martins because they will score goals but I fear it's too early to be starting them.

If it happens it will be a cracking test for us and for what we would perceive as our full strength forward line, as we are up against this seasons "Success story".

Reality is they are probably too rusty to have that much of an impact

Harper

Solano

Taylor

Bramble

Carr

Milner

Dyer

Emre

Butt

Luque

Martins.

Bench: Charlie gooch (if not injured) Babayaro Shola Owen

I'm taking it that sib is still injured and also given.

Bring Shola on for luque at half time.

Owen on for Dyer last 20.

Play with no wingers when owen comes on. Milner (right centre butt centre Emre left centre) it might work.

And with Owen playing just behind shola and martins.

Wouldn't mind giving it a try with so much quality in th last 3rd of the pitch i dont think Reading could cope.

personally, i would definitely play wingers, and get some sevice in for shola via crosses and he could also win the knockdowns for mickey. unleashing martins with half an hour to go could also be a decent weapon in itself!

No hope for the future in every single thread then when the problem that has been staring everyone in the face all season looks like being resolved, we have hope, we have optimism.

And if we're just as shit? Owen's hardly the most influencial player in the world is he?

Harper

Solano  Taylor  Bramble  Carr

Dyer    Emre  Butt  Milner

Owen  Ameobi

Subs:

Krul, Parker (if fit enough), Martins, Sibierski, Gooch

Bring on Martins for Owen at half time, Bring on Sibi for Ameobi after 60 mins or so

This strikes me as somewhat daft. Why risk a crucially important player like him in a pointless game at the arse end of the season, rather than give him the entire summer and pre-season to prepare?

And on the sods law side of things, you just know something bad is going to happen.

No hope for the future in every single thread then when the problem that has been staring everyone in the face all season looks like being resolved, we have hope, we have optimism.

And if we're just as shit? Owen's hardly the most influencial player in the world is he?

Apart from you obviously.

Guest TheOrder

There is no reason NOT to start Owen. He's fit, and I assume he's been fit for sometime, longer than we've been led to believe (due to wages, insurance etc)

He's ready to go, lets start him.

This strikes me as somewhat daft. Why risk a crucially important player like him in a pointless game at the arse end of the season, rather than give him the entire summer and pre-season to prepare?

And on the sods law side of things, you just know something bad is going to happen.

Because Glenn will be praying for him to bag 5 goals in his last 3 games and be able to say "Look what we could have been had he been fit".

He just wont be able to resist it.

Of course something bad is goiing to happen. Its the Newcastle way

Don't get me wrong, i'm delighted he's back. Personally I think a triumvirate of Owen, Martins and Ameobi could be excellent for us next year. I'm just a bit cautious about the 'problem that has been staring everyone in the face all season' clearing up with the return of one player.

Guest Nappy Rash

The optimism on here is brilliant  :lol:

Im praying he'll score 5 goals aswell, so we might actually fuckin win and sneak into Europe.

Obviously its better that he doesnt so Roeder cant point out what blatantly might have been and shut some daft fuckers up  :lol: :uglystupid2:

But he's been out for best part of a season and a half so Ill be amazed if he's not rusty................no doubt he'll be shite on here like  :lol:

Don't get me wrong, i'm delighted he's back. Personally I think a triumvirate of Owen, Martins and Ameobi could be excellent for us next year. I'm just a bit cautious about the 'problem that has been staring everyone in the face all season' clearing up with the return of one player.

I reckon Owen and Ameobi in the side would have meant around 12 more points so far this season, so that to me has been the problem for me.

I dont think we should have any expectations about any performances from either of them before the end of the season. Who knows next? If Roeder cant score goals with them two back then he needs to be put down nevermind sacked.