Berbatov will be at Chelsea next year

KaKa

According to the journalist who was on Sky Sports this morning ...

Said that high level people at Chelsea were very confident that Berbatov would be a chelsea player next season.

If true Spurs really are becoming a bit of a joke club aren't they? Essentially a breeding ground for the top clubs!

They really do need to start paying the players who are deserving of better contracts.

What's the point of discovering and getting in good players if they all just leave anyway? You've got to hold onto some of them at least!

It's good news for us though ...  :D

no lover of spurs but sincerely hope they take the french path in negotiations:

Drogba?

24m

How about 10m?

24m

Let's say, 14m?

24m

repeat these steps 'til you get to 24m (and for essien etc...)

any club with any sense and a decent player chel$ki want would take this path...i'd hope we did if they ever came for martins for example

Guest NIToon

Said that high level people at Chelsea were very confident that Berbatov would be a chelsea player next season.

If true Spurs really are becoming a bit of a joke club aren't they? Essentially a breeding ground for the top clubs!

They really do need to start paying the players who are deserving of better contracts.

What's the point of discovering and getting in good players if they all just leave anyway? You've got to hold onto some of them at least!

Is that in the same way that Newcastle pays better contracts.  Spurs are sitting in the same area of the table as us and their wage bill I'm sure is a hell of a lot less.  More clubs should take that stance of having a limit to their wage instead of the continually soaring demands.  How many are really worth it, even the best in the world?

Besides if Chelsea want a player they'll get them through huge bids, which any club will succumb to it doesn't matter which club it is.

Whether this particular story is true or not, they were always going to have a fight on their hands to keep him - awesome, awesome player. I was expecting one of the major european teams who were looking to rebuild (someone like Real Madrid or Juve) to come knocking. Not sure how he would fit in at Chelsea tho, replacement for Shevchenko? That would mean them keeping the 4 man midfield long term...and it doesn't really work IMO.

If this is true, Berbatov will quickly go from the most loved to the most hated man at White Hart Lane. Personally, even though I don't care for the Spurs, I hope he stays it out there. I don't like how all the best players end up in the top 4 clubs.

Is that in the same way that Newcastle pays better contracts.  Spurs are sitting in the same area of the table as us and their wage bill I'm sure is a hell of a lot less.  More clubs should take that stance of having a limit to their wage instead of the continually soaring demands.  How many are really worth it, even the best in the world?

Besides if Chelsea want a player they'll get them through huge bids, which any club will succumb to it doesn't matter which club it is.

I agree completely about not overpaying.

However the top earner at Spurs is Keane on £40,000 a week. That is a bit too low for a club like Tottenham in my opinion.

Also, this has nothing to do with us as we have our own problems. The point is that if Tottenham pushed the boat out just a little bit more then they would probably be in the champions league by now! instead they are pretty mediocre despite how well they club is structured.

If this is true, Berbatov will quickly go from the most loved to the most hated man at White Hart Lane. Personally, even though I don't care for the Spurs, I hope he stays it out there. I don't like how all the best players end up in the top 4 clubs.

True ...

That's why I have always had such respect for Arsenal because they don't just go round the premiership looking for smaller teams best players.

Guest NIToon

I agree completely about not overpaying.

However the top earner at Spurs is Keane on £40,000 a week. That is a bit too low for a club like Tottenham in my opinion.

Also, this has nothing to do with us as we have our own problems. The point is that if Tottenham pushed the boat out just a little bit more then they would probably be in the champions league by now! instead they are pretty mediocre despite how well they club is structured.

You're right, I just like to have a rant about overpaid players every now and then.  The idea of capping is a good idea but as you say for a club like Spurs £40,000 is probably a bit low.

The last I heard (very recently too) is that there is abolutely no prospect of Berbs going anywhere this summer, Spurs don't want it and, more importantly, Berbs doesn't want it too.  It shouldn't be forgotten that Man Utd made a late bid for him a couple of days before he signed for us.  Berbs said then that he had decided what to do, the decision was made and he wasn't going to change it.

More importantly, there is no pressure for Spurs to sell like there was with Carrick.  Carrick had 2 years remaining and had said he wouldn't sign another, Berbs is only 1 year into a 3 year contract with an option for a further 2 years in the same way they had with Keane.  So Spurs effectively have still got him under contract for another 4 years.  Unless Berbs has a serious change of heart and starts making all the wrong noises, I don't think he will go anywhere for at least 1 year, probably 2.  Depends very much also on how the club fares in that time but I'm not concerned about the speculation.

The last I heard (very recently too) is that there is abolutely no prospect of Berbs going anywhere this summer, Spurs don't want it and, more importantly, Berbs doesn't want it too.  It shouldn't be forgotten that Man Utd made a late bid for him a couple of days before he signed for us.  Berbs said then that he had decided what to do, the decision was made and he wasn't going to change it.

More importantly, there is no pressure for Spurs to sell like there was with Carrick.  Carrick had 2 years remaining and had said he wouldn't sign another, Berbs is only 1 year into a 3 year contract with an option for a further 2 years in the same way they had with Keane.  So Spurs effectively have still got him under contract for another 4 years.  Unless Berbs has a serious change of heart and starts making all the wrong noises, I don't think he will go anywhere for at least 1 year, probably 2.  Depends very much also on how the club fares in that time but I'm not concerned about the speculation.

It would be nice if you kept a hold off him, however if Chelsea start throwing £25million - £30million around ... I'm not so sure Tottenham could resist!

Guest NIToon

I would like to see him stay with Spurs rather than Chelski.  It seems that players have more loyalty to the bank than their clubs nowadays.  I think as Kaka's said the clubs resolve could be tested with a big bid despite the thought s of the player.

It would be nice if you kept a hold off him, however if Chelsea start throwing £25million - £30million around ... I'm not so sure Tottenham could resist!

If Chelsea offered £25m I could practically guarantee that would be rejected.  Levy values Berbs at a lot more for one thing but Levy wouldn't want to rock a settled boat when he's trying hard to sell it.  Any sale figure for the club would probably be including around £35/40m for Berbs and if the harmony in the camp started falling apart, the value of the entire package would start to fall.  With huge sponsorship deals with Mansion and Puma, plus the new TV money, Spurs have never been in such a liquid state, the perfect time for Levy to sell.  Even at the reputed price of £250m (against a share value of £100m) there are still people interested. 

:lol:

Who the fuck do you think you are, like? This is Spurs. Not one of the big four. Never even close to being one of the big four.

£35/40m my arse. That would make him the second/third most expensive player in football history. :lol:

:lol:

Who the f*** do you think you are, like? This is Spurs. Not one of the big four. Never even close to being one of the big four.

£35/40m my arse. That would make him the second/third most expensive player in football history. :lol:

No, I didn't say we wouldn't sell him for £35/£40m, I said that would be value in the event of the club being sold.  Actually selling him to another club I doubt that we would get £30m.

The point is that with Levy looking to sell but can't acquire the excess shares till September, he wouldn't be likely to sell a star player the result of which may reduce the sale price of the club as a complete entity.  So this summer I would be very surprised to see Levy sell Berbatov.  This time next year I think Levy will have sold Spurs.

You seem to think that anything Spurs want to do, will happen. Face it, you're 5th best team in England at best and always will be. Berbatov will go for around £16m in the end, £20m max once he decides he wants to move on. And don't be naive in thinking, "well he's happy here" etc. I don't think many Newcastle fans expected Hamann to go after his first season, but once the likes of Arsenal & Liverpool let it known they were interested, he had to think of his career first.

How do you figure that? They got silly money for Carrick which they would've been mad to turn down and if Chelsea want Berbatov they won't get him for anything less than £20m which represents a good price for him IMO.

You're grossly over-valuing him. He's an excellent player, but you're placing his value comfortably within the top ten transfers ever. Come off it.

I'm not overvaluing him tbh, I wouldn't put him much over £20m at the moment and see how he fares in his 2nd season in the EPL after clubs have sussed him a bit.  What I'm saying is he is worth £35/40m to Levy's perceived value of Spurs if or when he decides to sell.  Levy has proved in the past with the sale of Carrick and the compensation for Arnesen that he will dig his heels in if he feels he has to.

Guest kingdawson

I think Jol's(the poster) is right tbh. I honestly hand on heart feel the board will reject any offers under 30 million from any club. Berbatov is absolutly irreplaceable to a club like ours and besides it bloody Chelsea were talking about here so were bound to ask for something ridiculous.