England 2010?

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Fifa makes 2010 Cup back-up plan

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has admitted football's governing body has contingency plans in case South Africa cannot host the World Cup in 2010.

South Africa's preparations have been dogged by delays and there are fears its stadia will not be ready.

Blatter told BBC One's new Inside Sport programme: "Other countries are ready to organise the World Cup", although he implied they would not be needed.

Blatter cited a list of countries that could step in, including England.

The others he mentioned were the United States, Mexico, Japan and Spain.

"Definitely we have a possibility to go somewhere else if something happens," said Blatter.

"Something can happen. It is a natural catastrophe or whatever, a big change in society - everybody against football. But then for the time being the plan B is South Africa and the plan C we definitely must have a possibility to go somewhere else."

Last year, Blatter expressed misgivings about the lack of construction and renovation work on the 10 South African stadiums that are scheduled to host games in the World Cup.

And in December South African President Thabo Mbkei rejected claims that the tournament could be held elsewhere, insisting the 2010 World Cup would be an "exceptional event".

It'll be a f****** disaster if it goes ahead in South Africa imo.

Couldn't be worse than the Cricket World Cup though................................or could it??

Unlike the West Indies they've held World Cups before...I can't see it being anywhere near as fundementally bad on an organisational level with that experience. And the demand for tickets should be a gajillion times higher.

Altho...the cricket world cup in SA was pretty shite as half the tournament was rained off and the other half was boycotted cos no cunt wanted to go to Zimbabwe. Don't know what the egg chasing in 95(?) was like, don't follow it.

Disgusting that they've got it there in the 1st place.

Stabbings, killings, thefts and rapes are what the football fans can look forward too if they dare travel to the scummy continent.

Disgusting that they've got it there in the 1st place.

Stabbings, killings, thefts and rapes are what the football fans can look forward too if they dare travel to the scummy continent.

tbh i think thats what the South Africans will be looking forward to if Sunderland fans deceided to travel there.

Guest graemeh72

Personally, I think South Africa will put on a good show.

I'm a regular traveller down there and although there are things to look out for, I think it'll be decently run thing.

A couple of years ago I thought that SA would have no hope of putting on a decent WC - but after my last visit in Feb I've really changed my mind.

Fifa and the SA Govt are really behind WC2010, are so are the people - they des[erately want to show that they can put on a good show.

Fifa want an African World Cup - and I think will move heaven and earth to make it happen.

Transport and petty crime may be issues - but the Rugby World Cup went well so it can be done.

South Africa is a beautiful country, and has come a long way in the past few decades.

To call it a "scummy continent" quite frankly smacks of ignorance. "Toon's Taylor" You quite obviously haven't been to the East Coast of SA, the winelands or the garden route.

Still want it in Mexico. The Mexican waves, the atmospheres, Banks' save from Pele, the great Brazilian side, the giant spider hanging over the centre-circle,  Maradona, jumpers for goalposts...

Useless trivia - Mexico only hosted the 1986 World Cup because Colombia had to withdraw from hosting it in 1983.

Still want it in Mexico. The Mexican waves, the atmospheres, Banks' save from Pele, the great Brazilian side, the giant spider hanging over the centre-circle,  Maradona, jumpers for goalposts...

Useless trivia - Mexico only hosted the 1986 World Cup because Colombia had to withdraw from hosting it in 1983.

Blistering heat that reduces almost every game to walking pace?

World Cup should always be held in a temperate climate IMO.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Agreed graemeh72. I was there in January and it's a smashing place. They had started work on the new stadium in Cape Town when I was there and the plans look good.

Public transport is virtually non existant, but I'm sure they can sort something out, even if it's a short term fix for the tournament its self.

And yet two of the best World Cups in the history of the competition took place there.

Guest Gemmill

I've been to Mexico in the summer and I could barely lie by the pool it was that fucking hot - it seriously felt like my skin was baking. :lol:  Playing football would just be horrendous.

Guest Gemmill

Hasn't South Africa got the 2nd highest murder rate per capita after Colombia?

They've never had to face a windmilling Englishman though.  They'll not know what's hit them.

Guest graemeh72

June / July is South Africa's winter - it'll be like the weather is today

Guest stormrider

Some countries should never be allowed to host major events like that. South Africa FFS. what the hell was the FIFA thinking? sure, you want more fans killed than yellow cards handed out during the tournaments, go ahead. but then never complain about the whole world thinking that you guys are a bunch of idiots especially you Mr. Blatter.

TBH, even Syria would have been a better place to host the world cup than South Africa.

And yet two of the best World Cups in the history of the competition took place there.

Both before my time. But I've seen the Brazil-England game from '70, boring as owt. Elite football shouldn't be played in those conditions, nor should they have been played in 200 degrees in '94 or 300% humidity in '02, it basically equates to giving the cup to Brazil before the start. Might make for a good show while they piss all over all the teams who are too wasted to get a tackle in, but it doesn't make for a good competition IMO.

Guest graemeh72

Hasn't South Africa got the 2nd highest murder rate per capita after Colombia?

Close - you forgot India and Russia in 1st & 2nd

If you walk into a township and start winding up the blacks then yes chances are you'll get diced...

... but if you're not flashing your cash or acting like an English tosser on holiday you'll be fine.

Cape Town - best party city in the world imho

Eastern Cape - beautiful

If you don't wanna go then fine please leave the Sun, Sand, Sea, Sharks & Safari to me & my family ... 8)

Guest Gemmill

Bloke I know got mugged at the cashpoint for a few hundred quid.  He's a little French tosspot though, so I'm gonna let South Africa off with that one.

Personally, I think South Africa will put on a good show.

I'm a regular traveller down there and although there are things to look out for, I think it'll be decently run thing.

A couple of years ago I thought that SA would have no hope of putting on a decent WC - but after my last visit in Feb I've really changed my mind.

Fifa and the SA Govt are really behind WC2010, are so are the people - they des[erately want to show that they can put on a good show.

Fifa want an African World Cup - and I think will move heaven and earth to make it happen.

Transport and petty crime may be issues - but the Rugby World Cup went well so it can be done.

South Africa is a beautiful country, and has come a long way in the past few decades.

To call it a "scummy continent" quite frankly smacks of ignorance. "Toon's Taylor" You quite obviously haven't been to the East Coast of SA, the winelands or the garden route.

Take it up with someone who gives a shit.

mackems.gif @ 'Petty crime'

You total and utter deluded fool.