Live Friday Night EPL

Martin Lol

Guest londonmaglad

We played Arsenal away a few years back on a Friday night. Good for us who live in London but crap for others.

As much as I like watching football on the box (and it's the only way I get to see many of our matches, obviously), every shift further away from a full Saturday 3pm programme is a bad thing imo.

EPL serves a purpose when you don't wanna type out premier league....I think just because it sounds like one of the american league abbreviations thats why people get in a fuss which is silly.

Friday night games is a no tho. Saturday is the day of football....sunday is fine too...monday is a bit weird but its ok cause its rare.....Friday you don't deserve football..you have other uses

Guest Gemmill

EPL serves a purpose when you don't wanna type out premier league....I think just because it sounds like one of the american league abbreviations thats why people get in a fuss which is silly.

America is the first place I ever heard the EPL abbreviation being used which is why I associate it with American abbreviations.  I just call it the Premiership, prem to its friends.

America is the first place I ever heard the EPL abbreviation being used which is why I associate it with American abbreviations.  I just call it the Premiership, prem to its friends.

Fair enough. Saying "Eee pee Ell" is silly i agree...if you are gonna say something you might as well say premiership or league game or whatever....but in terms typing there is no need to disapprove of an acronym....

The main reason I hate it is because I don't see why we should tack on an E to our league. Its ours, we don't need an E to know the difference between our league and one in another country. Foriegn people can use it if they're also getting coverage from other countries that also have a league called the Premiership, but even still, they'd be called something like Primera Division so I still don't see the point of it unless you're presenting the Round the World in 0.8 seconds Sports Round-up and you need to say everything in the blink of an eye.

Don't agree with this abbreviation theory either. As an abbreviation; Firstly, its innacurate. There is no such thing as the "English Premier League". Secondly, the E is pointless...how many other PL's are there? Even if for some unfathomable reason you can't be arsed writing "prem", you could go with PL, who is going to get confused as to what you're talking about? Its differentiating between nothing.

The main reason I hate it is because I don't see why we should tack on an E to our league. Its ours, we don't need an E to know the difference between our league and one in another country. Foriegn people can use it if they're also getting coverage from other countries that also have a league called the Premiership, but even still, they'd be called something like Primera Division so I still don't see the point of it unless you're presenting the Round the World in 0.8 seconds Sports Round-up and you need to say everything in the blink of an eye.

Don't agree with this abbreviation theory either. As an abbreviation; Firstly, its innacurate. There is no such thing as the "English Premier League". Secondly, the E is pointless...how many other PL's are there? Even if for some unfathomable reason you can't be arsed writing "prem", you could go with PL, who is going to get confused as to what you're talking about? Its differentiating between nothing.

So is Setanta's programme going to be called The FEPL show ??

There's the SPL, and La Liga could theorically be PL (Primera). Suppose that's it though.

theorically?  I think it adds a bit of prestige in describing the league.  I don't really care what it's called, but "English Premiere League" just has a quality ring to it.  There's a certain perception that North America thinks (stereotype) most of England is trim and proper, suppose it falls in line with that.  I can understand you not wanting to mess with tradition, though. 

I'm actually 'for' this idea. The only problem I have is how much trouble would it be for away fans? They could theoretically make this work if they consider how much time it takes for away fans to get to the stadium, and back. It'll just be more football everyday, something I'm obviously for. Plus, if they do this, and keep the Monday games, then we'll have Premiership football on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, then two Champions League days followed by a day for the UEFA Cup and then we're back again.

Guest graemeh72

The best thing about Newcastle not getting into Europe is more Sat 3pm kick offs

Lets not ruin it by chucking in Fridays as well

......... mind you I could imagine Freddie making us play on a Thursday in UEFA and Friday in the "EPL" for the cash.