Bobby Robson/Gerard Houllier as Director of Football

Jamie87

SBR has been seen sat next to fatman a couple of times now, and I've been thinking maybe there is a reason. The idea has floated round for a while, with Houllier mentioned as well, just wondered what people would think if money was spent on setting up a more modern system at the club e.g. A director of football who can plan for the future, more coaching staff, more scouts (a lot more scouts), dietitians, sprint coaches, more physios, little packets of lucozade, nike pro tops, ice baths etc...  I'd really like to see it happen, but doubt it will since FFS seems to just spend money in poor attempts for the istant win with big players but no way to get the best out of them.

SBR has been seen sat next to fatman a couple of times now, and I've been thinking maybe there is a reason. The idea has floated round for a while, with Houllier mentioned as well, just wondered what people would think if money was spent on setting up a more modern system at the club e.g. A director of football who can plan for the future, more coaching staff, more scouts (a lot more scouts), dietitians, sprint coaches, more physios, little packets of lucozade, nike pro tops, ice baths etc...  I'd really like to see it happen, but doubt it will since FFS seems to just spend money in poor attempts for the istant win with big players but no way to get the best out of them.

Clipboards?

It would be a fantastic day for this Club if Freddy Shepherd could get Sir Bobby Robson to be Director Of Football.

Should of been given the position after his manager role.

Something that should have happened when Sir Bob left was he should have been moved up into the DoF role, sadly that didn't happen because of the way it all panned out. However, seeing as if SBR and Freddy have seemingly kissed and made-up, I'd be delighted if SBR returned as DoF now, and then Roeder leaves with Houllier coming in blueyes.gif

One can dream.

Honestly, I think SBR would be perfect for the DoF role. Not only is he keen on young talent (shown by his signings during his time here), but he also has contacts around the freaking world - from Portugal, Spain, obviously plentiful in England, now Ireland as well, and probably some in Brazil considering he was the one who bought (discovered?) Ronaldo.

Edit - someone got there first with the SBR DoF thingy!

Guest b0f

SBR looks ill.

He needs to chill out and enjoy his days, i dont want him back here, he can do without the stress.

This.

I agree, always remember that interview where he walked around the club in complete adoration of it. He loved Newcastle United, think it destroyed him when he was sacked. Would prefer the great man not too be put back under the stress and rollacoster lifestyle which comes with nufc.

Guest alankhaw

why would houllier give up his job at Lyon to be a Director of Football at this outdated establishment of ours

why would houllier give up his job at Lyon to be a Director of Football at this outdated establishment of ours

He has been quoted as saying he would welcome a return to the Premiership, he loved life in England.  Whether that would include coming back as a DoF I don't know, but the money would be better over here than in France.

He has been quoted as saying he would welcome a return to the Premiership, he loved life in England.  Whether that would include coming back as a DoF I don't know, but the money would be better over here than in France.

I think it's more to do with the fact he feels that he has unfinished business over here.

If SBR becomes DoF that would be fantastic for this football club but like someone mentioned he is too old now and there is the question,can he do that job?

IMO he can because this job DoF is not as stressing as the managers job.I think SBR is the perfect choice for the DoF position

Bring SBR as DoF and Allardyce as manager and this club might start going into the right direction otherwise we will be the same monkey poo with that clueless clown who is managing our team atm

In theory a good idea I just think he is too old. The man should be able to put his feet up and relax with his family at this stage of his life. H ehas given a tremendous service to football, I would not like to see him die whilst being employed by a football club.

I think if Roeder stays I would like to see Houllier as DoF but if Allardyce comes in I just cannot see it working.

If SBR becomes DoF that would be fantastic for this football club but like someone mentioned he is too old now and there is the question,can he do that job?

IMO he can because this job DoF is not as stressing as the managers job.I think SBR is the perfect choice for the DoF position

Bring SBR as DoF and Allardyce as manager and this club might start going into the right direction otherwise we will be the same monkey poo with that clueless clown who is managing our team atm

I don't think SBR could do the job justice now, he's too old for that job if it's to be done properly as it should involve a lot of travelling and negotiation.  I still think Houllier would make an excellent DoF if he wanted it but there is no reason why SBR couldn't be given a job as Club President.  That wouldn't involve the day to day hard work associated with a DoF but he would still be at SJP offering advice and his contacts could also be tapped into.

Would depend on how the DoF felt about it, but it seems crazy not to use SBR's knowledge and expertise, especially when FFS and SBR now seem to be at peace together again.

I don't think SBR could do the job justice now, he's too old for that job if it's to be done properly as it should involve a lot of travelling and negotiation.  I still think Houllier would make an excellent DoF if he wanted it but there is no reason why SBR couldn't be given a job as Club President.  That wouldn't involve the day to day hard work associated with a DoF but he would still be at SJP offering advice and his contacts could also be tapped into.

Would depend on how the DoF felt about it, but it seems crazy not to use SBR's knowledge and expertise, especially when FFS and SBR now seem to be at peace together again.

Aye,you are right about the age,the travelling and negotiation.But after all it all depens on SBR.IF Shepherd offers him the job he might take it.IF he dont then i think Houllier would be good choice as DoF.He has alot of connections too,especially in France.He would make good DoF imo.But if he comes i only hope he comes as DoF,i dont want him as manager.

I don't understand why people suggest the name of Houllier to be a DoF(Not just this thread, I've read it before). What does he have on his CV to suggest he could do a good job in the role, other than being a sucessful, experienced coach? I don't follow French football so I don't know what things are like at Lyon but his time at Liverpool didn't suggest to me that this guy had a lot to offer. Depends what you want from him I suppose. If he's going to be a glorified chief scout he should at least have some background in spotting good players on a regular basis be the ability to spot a decent player, but Houllier brought some right shite to Liverpool. Would you want to spunk millions on players of the calibre of Bruno Cheyroux, Igor Biscan, El Hadj Diouf, Titi Camara, Djimi Traore, Gregory Vignal, Vladimir Smicer, etc in the vain hope of hitting the Sami Hyypia jackpot? Wasted too much money for me, can't see why you would want him on that basis. Or would you want him to oversee improvements to the youth/reserve team/etc? No-one has broke through at Liverpool since Gerrard, almost a decade ago. Won the youth cup a bit, but thats not the name of the game, they should be producing first team players by the bucketload with the ammount of money they poor into their academy but whenever the kids come into the league cup side they get spanked royally. Not good enough. Really the only thing I see he has to offer would be for him to "help" Roeder with his experience of being a much better manager. Even then I don't see the point, why not just replace him.

Someone enlighten me please.