Bobby Robson/Gerard Houllier as Director of Football

Jamie87

I don't understand why people suggest the name of Houllier to be a DoF(Not just this thread, I've read it before). What does he have on his CV to suggest he could do a good job in the role, other than being a sucessful, experienced coach? I don't follow French football so I don't know what things are like at Lyon but his time at Liverpool didn't suggest to me that this guy had a lot to offer. Depends what you want from him I suppose. If he's going to be a glorified chief scout he should at least have some background in spotting good players on a regular basis be the ability to spot a decent player, but Houllier brought some right s**** to Liverpool. Would you want to spunk millions on players of the calibre of Bruno Cheyroux, Igor Biscan, El Hadj Diouf, Titi Camara, Djimi Traore, Gregory Vignal, Vladimir Smicer, etc in the vain hope of hitting the Sami Hyypia jackpot? Wasted too much money for me, can't see why you would want him on that basis. Or would you want him to oversee improvements to the youth/reserve team/etc? No-one has broke through at Liverpool since Gerrard, almost a decade ago. Won the youth cup a bit, but thats not the name of the game, they should be producing first team players by the bucketload with the ammount of money they poor into their academy but whenever the kids come into the league cup side they get spanked royally. Not good enough. Really the only thing I see he has to offer would be for him to "help" Roeder with his experience of being a much better manager. Even then I don't see the point, why not just replace him.

Someone enlighten me please.

My 1st choice as DoF is SBR

Houllier's main quality is that he is experienced,has alot of connections,especially in France and he can find the players which the club needs.

You are right that he bought alot of floops at Liverpool.

But some of them didnt perform too well under him but did good job with other managers(Diouf)

His connections and experience can be useful.

After all isnt it the last word to the manager who decides which player to buy after the DoF offered a certain player