Jose Mourinho on Anfield

Newcastle Fan

Jose Mourinho insists the atmosphere at Anfield had no bearing on Tuesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final.

Backed by a vociferous home crowd, Liverpool emerged victorious on penalties following a 1-0 win after extra-time

Much of the talk pre-match had been of Liverpool's 'Special Ones' but Mourinho, the self-styled original, claims his side were not intimidated.

"People were speaking about the atmosphere but I didn't see the atmosphere," Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

Mourinho was also at pains to counter suggestions his Chelsea team had been too negative.

"I saw an enthusiastic atmosphere but I saw one team in blue playing to win. I saw one team in blue wanting to play well.

"They had one good period in the first half but after that the best team was the blue team so I don't think the atmosphere was the cause of anything.

"Chelsea tried to win the game in 90 minutes and in extra-time. You could see for free-kicks Chelsea putting every strong player in the air in the box trying to score goals.

"We showed clearly that we wanted to win the game."

mackems.gif

Guest smoggeordie

....but I didn't see the atmosphere," Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

"I saw an enthusiastic atmosphere

:lol:

He is right and imo a better manager than Benny. Liverpool are far more negative now and play long periods of negative football.

They had 6 back most of the time if anyone noticed. Sad.

He wishes that he could hear that kind of nosie at Stamford Bridge, Chelski fans are shit and the noise last night from the Pool fans was awrsome. Jose makign himself look a pathetic bad loser again.

Look when we played Chelski up here, they were fighting for the league and did not even sell all their tickets, glory hunting shitbags!!

Guest smoggeordie

TBH it does my tits in when the commentators go on bumming about how good the atmosphere at Anfield is. There would be more noise on Northumberland street if we won the Carling Cup than in Anfield on a "magical" European night. The media don't realsie how easy the bin dippers have it.

He is right and imo a better manager than Benny. Liverpool are far more negative now and play long periods of negative football.

Tbh both Liverpool and Chelsea play boring but effective football.

It was clear that Chelsea took more risks, but generally yes I agree.

Guest magpies_rawk

....but I didn't see the atmosphere," Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

"I saw an enthusiastic atmosphere

:lol:

Lost in translation if u ask me. i believe what he meant was he saw an enthusiastic atmosphere on the grounds but did not see it translated in Liverpool's performance on the pitch.

Guest alex

I thought Liverpool were the team who played the better attacking football. Chelsea just hoofed it to Drogba before Robben and Wrigh-Phillips came on.

I thought Liverpool were the team who played the better attacking football. Chelsea just hoofed it to Drogba before Robben and Wrigh-Phillips came on.

Only one in the box at home?I agree Liverpool had a good spell in the first half and I was surprised at Pennant who played the best I've seen him for Liverpool. But as the match went on Mourinho made much more of the attacking subs..Robben/SWP...Liverpool swapped Pennant for the dour Alonso and I had a feeling they would be happy with pens.

Guest alex

Only one in the box at home?I agree Liverpool had a good spell in the first half and I was surprised at Pennant who played the best I've seen him for Liverpool. But as the match went on Mourinho made much more of the attacking subs..Robben/SWP...Liverpool swapped Pennant for the dour Alonso and I had a feeling they would be happy with pens.

I don't think either side took many risks but Liverpool did take more earlier in the tie and Chelsea didn't until it was almost too late. I thought Chelsea's football was dreadful long-ball stuff though. Liverpool were marginally better to watch.

I don't think either side took many risks but Liverpool did take more earlier in the tie and Chelsea didn't until it was almost too late. I thought Chelsea's football was dreadful long-ball stuff though. Liverpool were marginally better to watch.

It was pretty bad football all-round. Never seen so much long ball in a CL semi. I agree they both played 2nd ball football.

Bellers and Crouch will be out in the summer by the looks of things.

I don't know how Benitez can be criticised. Once again he's taken a somewhat average Liverpool side to a major final and when you consider the individuals both managers have at their disposal, it's Chelsea's style of football that should be lambasted, not theirs.

Guest alex

It was pretty bad football all-round. Never seen so much long ball in a CL semi. I agree they both played 2nd ball football.

Bellers and Crouch will be out in the summer by the looks of things.

Both sides seemed more scared of losing than anything. They were saying on BBC Breakfast News this morning that it was a great match. I thought it was frenetic in terms of the pace but neither side played much football at all. Especially in the final third. I genuinely hope Milan win it btw ;)

Guest alex

I don't know how Benitez can be criticised. Once again he's taken a somewhat average Liverpool side to a major final and when you consider the individuals both managers have at their disposal, it's Chelsea's style of football that should be lambasted, not theirs.

I think it's fair to criticise both. Last night and more generally. I do think Liverpool deserved to go through though.

Maybe if he didn't insist on playing with a handicap (Kalou) all game, Chelsea might have scored.  Seriously, what a pile of shit he looks every time I see him play.

Nearly as bad as Kuyt. :lol:

Maybe if he didn't insist on playing with a handicap (Kalou) all game, Chelsea might have scored.  Seriously, what a pile of shit he looks every time I see him play.

I don't know who is worse, him or Mikel..

..or Lampard.

Maybe if he didn't insist on playing with a handicap (Kalou) all game, Chelsea might have scored.  Seriously, what a pile of s*** he looks every time I see him play.

Worse IMO.  I think we avoided a mistake by losing out on Kuyt though.  He hasn't impressed me at all since going to Liverpool.

What people need to realise also is that this Chelsea side tends to run out of gas near the end of the season...Just too many games and too much intensity....Bigger squad is the only ans.

Guest alex

What people need to realise also is that this Chelsea side tends to run out of gas near the end of the season...Just too many games and too much intensity....Bigger squad is the only ans.

Well, Mourinho could have done what Benitez did and fucked off the League Cup. Also, questions have to be asked about the lack of quality/back-up in key areas - particularly upfront and at centre-half.

Well, Mourinho could have done what Benitez did and fucked off the League Cup. Also, questions have to be asked about the lack of quality/back-up in key areas - particularly upfront and at centre-half.

Definately. This small squad (Mourinho patented) just doesn't work in the PL...Games are much more frenetic and take their toll and threre are a lot more games as well.

Maybe if he didn't insist on playing with a handicap (Kalou) all game, Chelsea might have scored.  Seriously, what a pile of s*** he looks every time I see him play.

Worse IMO.  I think we avoided a mistake by losing out on Kuyt though.  He hasn't impressed me at all since going to Liverpool.

Maybe we should add that to the case for the defence in the trial of Glenn Roeder - "stepping aside" so 'Pool could sign Kuyt :lol: