Buy your own club (sort of)

koven

• 6 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gravesend_and_northfleet/7089473.stm

They have just bought Ebbsfleet Utd, 7th in the bluesquare conference. The more i see it the more i am liking the idea but they have 50,000 members already so your vote for tactics etc is not going to matter that much if you have 40,000 idiots signed up to it. Whoever came up with the idea though is going to be one rich bastard.

I think it's a great idea in principle. Whether it'll work or not is another matter entirely, but as their manager points out, team selection is largely about luck. Managers aren't geniuses.

Of course it's important that everyone is pulling in the same direction at a football club, and if a manager doesn't have the power to drop certain players then he loses a lot of his authority, and those are the main drawbacks from a playing perspective. But as a means of potentially giving a small club large financial backing and 'giving football back to the people', I think it's a great idea. I doubt the fans of Ebbsfleet are too bothered, it could put their club on the map.

The manager will walk within a month i bet. Ridiculous idea.

Gravesend & Northfleet must be pissed off, first their name gets changed to a train station then their owned by some Football manager kids.  mackems.gif

Stupid.

The manager would be just as well resigning now.  Either that or drop down into a coaching role.

How the fuck can 50,000 people who don't even go to the matches, let alone training every day, be in any position to decide who should be in the team and who shouldn't?

Bit mental, but interesting to see what happens.

When team selection is a general concensus of thousands of people, it doesn't leave much room for innovative tactics etc. How do they decide on substitutes? That isn't something you can plan in advance.

I am of the opinion that the manager's role is overstated in getting results a lot of the time, so it will be interesting to see what a bunch of geeks who pick the team inbetween wanking over Paris Hilton and playing World of Warcraft can achieve.

Out of the 50,000 who promised tp pay only 20,000 actually did.

And none of them will keep the payments up when they realise how little say you get for your £35, leaving the club in the shit.

And none of them will keep the payments up when they realise how little say you get for your £35, leaving the club in the shit.

Heard the bloke running it on TalkSport a few hours back. He reckons members will get to vote on everything: team selection, tactics, training facilities, youth programmes, stadium developments, you name it.

Heard the bloke running it on TalkSport a few hours back. He reckons members will get to vote on everything: team selection, tactics, training facilities, youth programmes, stadium developments, you name it.

Aye, but if there's 20,000 people voting what are the chances of your vote counting?

Aye, but if there's 20,000 people voting what are the chances of your vote counting?

1 in 20,000?

I wonder if some fecker will ever start bulk buying accounts to get a block vote.

/By christ their forums are going to get lively when the kneejerking kicks in. :laugh:

//Are the blokes running this/doing the deals pulling a salary from the membership fee? Cannot see anything about it on the site.

Should be fine. As a revenue stream an extra £1 million or so a year from membership alone is a hell of a boost for a club of that size, and no doubt members will make an effort to get to the ground occasionally and buy the shirts as well. For 35 quid, for a years worth of feeling part of it however small, sounds pretty fair.

Could go tits up, just because of the chaos of allowing factions in the support to gang up and actually drive out of favour players out of the club among other things, but an interesting experiment none the less.

Looking forward to see how things turn out. :thup:

Think the site owners are on to a good thing like. They have just got 20,000 well meaning idiots to buy them a football club (the money is classed as a donation). They can then sell it and keep all the cash. Why didn't I think of that?