Darren Bent

Martin Lol

Alan Pardew admitted today Darren Bent will leave if Charlton are relegated this season.

Charlton's escape bid continues on Monday night when they take on Tottenham at The Valley, with the pressure again on Bent to provide the main goalscoring threat for Pardew's team.

Asked if it was inevitable that the 14-goal striker will be sold if the club go down, the Charlton manager said: "That has been the situation of players coming out of the Premiership and is usually the situation in terms of the top players.

"I was at West Ham when they tried to hang on to Jermain Defoe and that didn't work out."

Even if Charlton stay up, Bent is likely to be a £10million target of several leading clubs, with Tottenham and Newcastle expected to be at the front of the queue to secure the England man's services.

But Pardew insists it is not just the players who are affected when a club drops down a division.

"Personally, I think it is something we all get a little bit carried away with," he said.

"Whenever a Premier League club gets relegated the people who really suffer are the people who work in the stadium.

"There is a big cull of staff. For us, the most important thing would be to bounce back so you can re-employ those people.

"I'm sure Sunderland and Birmingham are contacting those people they lost so they can bring them back."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=452481&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Would you want him at Newcastle?  £10m seems a reasonable figure, I'd be happy to see him at Spurs at that price.

Guest Peter.Sthlm

As long as both Martins and Owen don't leave this summer I can't see any reason for NUFC to buy him. I'd prefer a big and strong target if we want a striker this summer.

£15m in for Martins and £10m out for D.Bent would be fantastic business imo.

I really don't get the vibe on here about £15m being good business for Martins. It only represents a £5m profit.

A good season next year between him and Owen and we could easily be talking about a player worth £20m plus.

Granted, there is lots to his game that needs improving but how many young kids have NUFC had lately with his raw talent?

Some work on the training ground with Owen and maybe even Shearer (if his Ambassador role will stretch that far) and he could be a top player imo.

We really should be looking to see how Owen and Martins do next season, before even having a merest of thought about selling Oba. There's absolutely no need to. Replacing Martins and Bent for Martins and Owen? Same diff. Stick with what we've got!

Viduka on a free for cover. ;)

We really should be looking to see how Owen and Martins do next season, before even having a merest of thought about selling Oba. There's absolutely no need to. Replacing Martins and Bent for Martins and Owen? Same diff. Stick with what we've got!

Might as well put that in the 'what are you wanking over thread' in general chat for Gejon to spunk his load. He's been doing the big sell on the Aussie for so long I'm starting to think he might be his Agent.

Guest makemeacupoftea

£15m in for Martins and £10m out for D.Bent would be fantastic business imo.

agree with that, kind of, maybe not 10 mill for bent, around 7/8

It's good business because we get a player who imo is even better than him, plus an extra £5m in the bank which could go a long way to signing a top full-back.

It's all about opinions. I just reckon Martins, with the right coaching/direction, could become a serious talent where Bent's game probably won't change that much over the next few years.

He's already a good player, but I don't see him becoming an amazing player. Oba has that potential IMO.

It's good business because we get a player who imo is even better than him, plus an extra £5m in the bank which could go a long way to signing a top full-back.

It's all about opinions. I just reckon Martins, with the right coaching/direction, could become a serious talent where Bent's game probably won't change that much over the next few years.

If he hasn't already learned from Crespo, Mancini, Vieri & Recoba, he'll never learn.[/crackedrecord]

If he hasn't already learned from Crespo, Mancini, Vieri & Recoba, he'll never learn.[/crackedrecord]

Recoba and Mancini have never been out and out goalscorers though. ;)

Thank god he hasn't took Recoba's work ethic with him anyways.

Might as well put that in the 'what are you wanking over thread' in general chat for Gejon to spunk his load. He's been doing the big sell on the Aussie for so long I'm starting to think he might be his Agent.

Well if Gejon's his agent, i'm his wife.

Prefer someone like Viduka,Zigic,Crouch,Pizzaro type of player

Pizzaro is out of contract with Bayern Munich at the end of the season

Prefer someone like him then splashing 10m on a striker

Pizzaro or Viduka on a free.Well that would be good business

Two very different leagues to be fair. I think we play off the last man much more than they do in Serie A and also, because of the NUFC play, he's expected to win headers from crosses much more than you would expect a second striker to in most sides.

I see him more as a Bellamy type player in that he's not the main forward. If we had a full squad this year he would have played as a deeper fwd feeding Owen I would've thought.

The amount of people who still get bonk-on's talking about Bellamy when Martins first season has been far more productive than most of Bellamys is weird.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's the finished article or that his close control/first touch are good, they're not - but he has the potential to improve.

Bent is a steady 15 goal a season man for me. Martins can be more than that. IMO.

Guest icemanblue

Two very different leagues to be fair. I think we play off the last man much more than they do in Serie A and also, because of the NUFC play, he's expected to win headers from crosses much more than you would expect a second striker to in most sides.

I see him more as a Bellamy type player in that he's not the main forward. If we had a full squad this year he would have played as a deeper fwd feeding Owen I would've thought.

The amount of people who still get bonk-on's talking about Bellamy when Martins first season has been far more productive than most of Bellamys is weird.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's the finished article or that his close control/first touch are good, they're not - but he has the potential to improve.

Bent is a steady 15 goal a season man for me. Martins can be more than that. IMO.

A lot of sense in that, mate. Agree wholeheartedly.

Guest Triglett

I'd be very happy if Bent came to Spurs. A striker with an excellent goalscoring record at every level, with a wide range of qualities and attributes. A very good all round striker, and perhaps most importantly, he could quite easily play with any of Berbatov, Keane and Defoe (although I think the latter will probably leave). £10m is a reasonable price in todays market too.

Think everyone underates Bents all round abilities, he is very good in the air and holding the ball up, lets not forget he has played the majority of the time at charlton as the target man in a 4-5-1 and still bagged the goals.

Would add something we dont have and gel well with what we do imo. That said probably better strikers to be had for that kind of money.

I think Bent is better than Martins anyway but if you could also make a profit on the deal then I'd snap Valencia's hand off for the £15m and get Bent for £10m. That's £5m right there for a decent defender.

I think Bent is better than Martins anyway but if you could also make a profit on the deal then I'd snap Valencia's hand off for the £15m and get Bent for £10m. That's £5m right there for a decent defender.

this.