Vacant Newcastle job v Vacant Middlesbrough job

Raconteur

* McClaren leaves smoggies

* Roeder refused dispensation to manage Newcastle (let's ignore the final appeal "sufficient support" BS for the moment)

Today's events at Soho Square left me in a contemplative mood - especially after reading a Steve Gibson quote that sounded very much like something Shepherd said way back when: "'We have had a lot of calls and a lot of people putting their names forward. Five years ago when Bryan Robson left I had a limited number of people interested in the job - this time I have a greater number of people interested and I think that is a measure of the stature of the club, so we have a lot of available options open to us. We have a shortlist and a strategy and that will unfold hopefully soon rather than later."

It occurs to me that we might get a lesson in managerial appointments... from the smoggies!

Now, I wouldn't ask to compare the two clubs (we all agree there is no comparison, I'm sure ;)) but let's have a look from an outsider's perspective, and it could be argued that the two positions are roughly as attractive as each other - the point being that candidates interested in their job would most likely be interested in ours (and vice versa)

At the risk of antagonising the pro-Shepherd faction, if Gibson pulls a rabbit from his hat (I don't know, Zaccheroni?) while we appoint Tommy Craig then surely questions have to be asked about the competency of the board?

We have better players, facilities, income and (theoretically) prospects. But they are in the UEFA Cup final. Go figure.

I wouldn't put it past Gibson to play a blinder and get someone good in. He doesn't make the mistake FS does in talking big about managers while acting little.

We have better players, facilities, income and (theoretically) prospects. But they are in the UEFA Cup final. Go figure.

I wouldn't put it past Gibson to play a blinder and get someone good in. He doesn't make the mistake FS does in talking big about managers while acting little.

I'd say we have better players, but Burra's training ground is rated as one of the best in Europe and their youth system is pissing all over ours at current, however we have the potential to shit all over them which we should be doing at the minute

All that is true, which is why I left all those caveats in italics ;)

Exactly...

When I say "roughly comparable", I obviously feel the Newcastle job as more favourable. I'm thinking of Paul Le Guen's appointment as Rangers manager - another club I would describe as "roughly comparable but slightly below" NUFC. A high-quality continental manager snapped up by a similar (yet inferior IMO) club while we scratch our arse and beg the FA to do us favours.

I'm just scared the smoggies will pull a similar trick on us... :(

All that is true, which is why I left all those caveats in italics ;)

Exactly...

When I say "roughly comparable", I obviously feel the Newcastle job as more favourable. I'm thinking of Paul Le Guen's appointment as Rangers manager - another club I would describe as "roughly comparable but slightly below" NUFC. A high-quality continental manager snapped up by a similar (yet inferior IMO) club while we scratch our arse and beg the FA to do us favours.

I'm just scared the smoggies will pull a similar trick on us... :(

Me too, mate, me too. :(

I'm fucking sick of domestic football, me. Its depressing me again.

Simple question.

If you were a manager with reasonable CV who is currently jobless .... and who has little or no past connections with these 2 clubs

Would you come to Newcastle United to work for Freddie Shepherd or Middlesbrough FC to work for Steve Gibson?

If you are a manager who is currently managing a club, but thinking of leaving the job due to whatever reasons, will you be more attracted to the prospect of working with Shepherd or working with United?

Simple question.

If you were a manager with reasonable CV who is currently jobless .... and who has little or no past connections with these 2 clubs

Would you come to Newcastle United to work for Freddie Shepherd or Middlesbrough FC to work for Steve Gibson?

If you are a manager who is currently managing a club, but thinking of leaving the job due to whatever reasons, will you be more attracted to the prospect of working with Shepherd or working with United?

That's the crux of it - and one I can't make as a Toon fan :)

But I'm trying to be objective here - Newcastle by a short half head? Pulling away at the post...

Boro will get a top class manager - and they'll do it way before us. Guaranteed.

Sunderland will get a new board and a credible manager with real ambition. Guaranteed.

We will get more of the same old shit from Shepherd. Guaranteed.

Makes you sick, doesn't it?

Having been reasonably happy with the idea of Roeder (on the assumption he could be given either special dispensation or that he could get his licence reasonably quickly or have a qualified DOF alongside him) I'm rapidly changing my mind...

If this latest rumour turns out to be fact - then we're fuct. Guaranteed.

bluecry.gif

EDIT: SHAKES HEAD AND REGAINS A BIT OF PERSPECTIVE - What the hell am I saying?!? Oh I'm so confused right now I don't know what to say and think - I guess whilst reconciled to Roeder carrying on, I just got carried away by the mention of Shearer in the dugout - I just so DO NOT want that to happen...sorry, there, I've said it now.

This is the thing that's even worse about the whole situation. The Smoggies will soon usurp us I reckon, It'll be no surprise if they're above us this time next year.

There's no way Gibson will make an utter farce out of the task like Shepherd has.

Well there are still hopes

You know top class managers don't always perform like their reputations suggest. And a second class manager might turn out excellent for us like what Roeder does recently.

Well there are hopes that Shepherd will hit the jackpot right. Hopes ....

I am actually very interested to see who Gibson would go for. As far as I know he is a top bloke. Definitely not a xenophobic racist, however he has a preference for English/locals. His past recruitment of managers and his emphasis of academy prove this.

Who will he be going this time? If he goes for a bright young English prospect as usual, then maybe his club would not progress as fast as people would suggest.

Well there are still hopes

You know top class managers don't always perform like their reputations suggest. And a second class manager might turn out excellent for us like what Roeder does recently.

Well there are hopes that Shepherd will hit the jackpot right. Hopes ....

I am actually very interested to see who Gibson would go for. As far as I know he is a top bloke. Definitely not a xenophobic racist, however he has a preference for English/locals. His past recruitment of managers and his emphasis of academy prove this.

Who will he be going this time? If he goes for a bright young English prospect as usual, then maybe his club would not progress as fast as people would suggest.

I will guarantee you it's Zaccheroni. The FA and Gibson knew about Mac's appointment from the moment the Scolari episode descended into farce...Zacch will be their man.

Why Zaccheroni? I don't see he has any convincing CV that would please Gibson.

He is also passionless, someone suggested. Maybe after McLaren Gibson would prefer someone more dynamic.

How about Curbishley? Middlesbrough have more financial power than Charlton to back him. But he seems certain to take a year sabbatical.

How about ... Tony Mowbray as what the rumours suggested when McLaren was on the edge of sacking in the beginning of this year? Too much a risk I think.

"We have a shortlist and a strategy and that will unfold hopefully soon rather than later.

"It was difficult to approach anybody too strongly because we didn't know whether Steve was going to get the job or not but we have structured the club in such a way it is not dependent on one individual."

Interesting to see what strategies are really in their minds ...

Apparently Steve Gibson has already held brief descussions with our Former Great Sir Bobby Robson after getting the green light that Steve McClaren would be leaving Middlesbrough at the end of the season......

I am certainly going to put a few notes on it!!!!.... Sir Bobby come very close to becoming Portsmouth manager last season after postive talks but he turned Milan Manderic down because of wanting a Job nearer his North East Home; so with that in mind and Middlesbrough wanting a manager who will take them to the next step (4th 3ed and 5th) this would be a really fantastic appointment for them and very Logical move for Middlesbrough.

I for one would be gutted to see Sir Bobby Robson getting the Middlesbrough Job and we going from the Great CV of Sir Bobby Robson too the CV's of Souness then Roeder/Craig/Shearer!!!!!!! I mean what the F*** has happened to this once High Finnishing and Trophy Challenging and Europian Qualifying Football Club Shepherd????   bluebigeek.gif

Freddy Shepherd has a lot to Answer for!!!!  :mad:

• 1 year later...

*Bump*

As I'm completely unworthy to start new threads, I thought I'd find a "boro are great" thread from the past to post this in:

Schwarzer condemns Boro planning

Middlesbrough keeper Mark Schwarzer has blamed Mark Viduka's exit on the club's failure to seal deals early enough and says he may leave for the same reason.

Viduka, 31, left Boro to join Newcastle on a free transfer after his contract ran out and Schwarzer, 34, has only a year remaining on his deal.

"I've taken it to be quite normal at Middlesbrough, they do leave things very, very late," he said.

"They tend to do things only when they're under pressure."

Schwarzer is on international duty with Viduka as Australia play in the Asian Cup.

And, while he has been away, Boro have signed young strikers Jeremie Aliadiere and Tuncay Sanli to replace Viduka.

But Schwarzer wants more done to secure the futures of the more experienced players at the Riverside.

He added: "It's unfortunate because it's not just with me, it's with other players like Mark.

"You would think with the more experienced players and the important players in the squad you would look to tie them down earlier and not let things drag on.

"But for some reason, and unbeknown to most of us, Middlesbrough tend to leave it until very late to sort it out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/6229860.stm

Feel free to add further praise of Steve Gibson, his top managerial appointment, and their running of the club below:

Guest guyb

Greedy keeper wants one last payoff or move to set him up. Angry his pal got one, albeit had to move to get it.

This seasons going to be interesting for us all. Sam bringing the appliance of science to you romantics; Southgate ripping up the 4-4-2 to finally bring some pace and movement into a young and improving team; and Keane finding out that reputations can only get you so far.

On the subject of jobs though - it might amuse some on here to learn that Hitzfeld applied for the job but Gibson nixed it as he wants English and nothing but.

Some cynics might suggest a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not me though.  :undecided:

Greedy keeper wants one last payoff or move to set him up. Angry his pal got one, albeit had to move to get it.

This seasons going to be interesting for us all. Sam bringing the appliance of science to you romantics; Southgate ripping up the 4-4-2 to finally bring some pace and movement into a young and improving team; and Keane finding out that reputations can only get you so far.

On the subject of jobs though - it might amuse some on here to learn that Hitzfeld applied for the job but Gibson nixed it as he wants English and nothing but.

Some cynics might suggest a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not me though.  :undecided:

I'll need a very reliable source to even start contemplating that what you claim here could potentially have a slight chance of having happened in reality..

*Bump*

As I'm completely unworthy to start new threads, I thought I'd find a "boro are great" thread from the past to post this in:

Middlesbrough keeper Mark Schwarzer has blamed Mark Viduka's exit on the club's failure to seal deals early enough and says he may leave for the same reason.

Viduka, 31, left Boro to join Newcastle on a free transfer after his contract ran out and Schwarzer, 34, has only a year remaining on his deal.

"I've taken it to be quite normal at Middlesbrough, they do leave things very, very late," he said.

Schwarzer is on international duty with Viduka as Australia play in the Asian Cup.

And, while he has been away, Boro have signed young strikers Jeremie Aliadiere and Tuncay Sanli to replace Viduka.

But Schwarzer wants more done to secure the futures of the more experienced players at the Riverside.

He added: "It's unfortunate because it's not just with me, it's with other players like Mark.

"You would think with the more experienced players and the important players in the squad you would look to tie them down earlier and not let things drag on.

"But for some reason, and unbeknown to most of us, Middlesbrough tend to leave it until very late to sort it out.

Feel free to add further praise of Steve Gibson, his top managerial appointment, and their running of the club below:

mackems.gif

pure gold

*Bump*

Didn't they just finish above us in the Premiership?