Sir Bobby is fighting cancer for the 5th time

Paully

Guest SLK

Stay strong Sir Bobby...You are a fighter and you deserve the best...We are all with you...

Guest thenorthumbrian

Bobby will always command respect, he's just that sort of bloke.

This is awful news, he cant keep clear of the disease for more than a year.

He'll fight it, and I'm hoping for the best, but things are looking very grave indeed.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1780_2109863,00.html

Sir Bobby vows to 'fight' cancer

Former England and Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson has been diagnosed with cancer for the fifth time - and has vowed to 'fight it'.

The 74-year-old has battled the disease on and off for the last 15 years, having undergone cancer surgery four times.

He told the Mail on Sunday he started a six-week course of chemotherapy treatment last week after doctors discovered small cancerous nodules in his lungs.

Sir Bobby has vowed to carry on with his life as normal and will attend his annual charity golf day in Portugal next week before celebrating his 52nd wedding anniversary next month with wife Elsie.

He told the newspaper: "Of course, it's not the greatest news I've ever had but I have fought hard throughout my life and I will continue to fight. I will battle as I've always done.

"My last operation in August was a success but this time the doctors have said they can't operate.

"The good news is that they are measuring the nodules in my lungs in millimetres rather than centimetres!

"That is encouraging and we are hopeful the treatment will keep it under control.

"I've been advised to keep busy and active, and that's what I will be trying to do whenever possible."

Sir Bobby, the son of a Durham minder, was knighted in 2001 after a glittering football career as a player and manager.

He won 20 England caps, playing in the 1958 and 1962 World Cups, before taking the team to the semi-finals of the 1990 World Cup in an eight-year spell as the national manager.

He made his name as a manager at Ipswich, winning the FA Cup in 1978 and the UEFA Cup in 1981.

After leaving the England job in 1990 Sir Bobby then managed a string of top European clubs including PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona.

Been saying he's looking ill for the last few month, he's about half the size he was when he was manager of us.

I pray to god he makes it through, but 5 times, its taking its toll each time imo.

I fkn love that bloke, born fighter and all round great bloke, go on Sir Bobby kick that cancer to fk, then come back here as DOF.

After the way Fred treat him he will still sit next to the slime bucket and has been there for a canny few games latley..

Guest andynufc84

Good luck and all the best Bobby we're behind you 

He came to NUFC 3 years too late