Allardyce?

mrmojorisin75

As a recent convert to the "get Allardyce" club, or rather the "get shot of Roeder & Allardyce looks about the best hope we have" club, I was thinking this morning about his track record at Bolton and how it might work at SJP.

What concernes/interests me is the following: we have arguably one of the best crops of youngsters with potential knocking about in the league - Taylor, Milner, N'Zogbia, Krul, Edar (perhaps), Carroll (perhaps), Huntington (perhaps) and then other kids making noises who are even younger like Lua Lua, Donaldson etc...

Anyway to my knowledge in a decade or so in charge of Bolton, Allardyce has hardly set the world on fire in developing youngsters - players to come through their ranks or be picked up at a young age to then make the first time are: Michael Ricketts, Nicky Hunt, Kevin Nolan, Vaz Te (perennial substitute), O'Brien perhaps....maybe there's some missing but the point stands that for a decade it's hardly great is it?

We know where Allardyce's strengths lie; in getting the best out of underperforming players or players with something to prove.  For me this would bring us advantages with players like Duff, Parker, Solano, Carr (if he stays), Emre (if he stays), Ameobi...

The other people he might be able to work his 'magic' on should be out of the club before he even gets here (if he indeed does) such as Bramble, Moore, Onyewu, Baba, Sib etc...

To me we're at a crossroads as a club in more ways than one.  Talking only about playing matters I hope that whoever takes over (assuming someone does) uses the kids as the nucleus of the team rather than seeing them as 'fill-ins' for the so-called established players such as Dyer - who I failed to mention above 'cause I don't even count him as a player anymore & simply hope he somehow vanishes off the face of the earth.

Roeder has used the kids this season, and received the consequent kudos from their limited success, only because he's had to.  I don't think for a minute we'd have seen Edgar/Hunt play at all, Milner/Taylor I doubt would have figured as much if Roeder had had a fortune to spend on "established Premiership players".

What does everyone think?  Could Allardyce strike a balance he never managed at Bolton between age and experience?  To me it's vital for future of the club that these youngsters are given a fair chance or we'll end up back to the days where schoolkids would rather go to Southampton than sign for us.  It's especially important given we're pretty much skint due largely to paying for so-called established players year in year out.

I'm not saying Allardyce is or isn't the man, what I'm saying is whoever comes in it's imperative as a CLUB we recognise what we have in terms of talent rather than what we have in terms of age/experience.  Allardyce might well be the perfect man for this club if he can revitalise players like Parker, allow the likes of N'Zogbia/Carroll to play and develop, plus add some of his trademark "bargain" signings...if they all combine we could well be in business.

With Allardyce, if a youngster is good enough, he'll get to play, but if he isn't good enough he's gone.

Thats the way it should be, we shouldn't be playing youngsters just because they come from our academy.

This dream of 11 young Geordies from our academy winning trophies is a fantasy which has been a major reason for our current demise.

With Allardyce, if a youngster is good enough, he'll get to play, but if he isn't good enough he's gone.

Thats the way it should be, we shouldn't be playing youngsters just because they come from our academy.

This dream of 11 young Geordies from our academy winning trophies is a fantasy which has been a major reason for our current demise.

i'm not trying to start an argument with you here pal but you're kind of missing the point

i was asking a question about allardyce that you've ignored - in 10 years at a club he's not really brought any youngsters through has he?  certainly not what you'd expect for that amount of time...is that what we want?

i'm not saying all of the kids should automatically play but when they have played this season by and large they've held their own despite obviously having little in the way of coaching or help from senior professionals....

the fact is that whoever takes over the club will have a good group of bairns in and around the squad and i'm asking is allardyce the man to handle that?

i'm not saying he is or isn't just asking for more than "With Allardyce, if a youngster is good enough, he'll get to play, but if he isn't good enough he's gone." 

what evidence do you have to back that up like?  how do you know he never held up the development of a bairn to bring in one of his "foreign bargains" we hear so much about?

maybe you know the ins and outs of his time at bolton, if so do tell...

i'm not trying to start an argument with you here pal but you're kind of missing the point

i was asking a question about allardyce that you've ignored - in 10 years at a club he's not really brought any youngsters through has he?  certainly not what you'd expect for that amount of time...is that what we want?

i'm not saying all of the kids should automatically play but when they have played this season by and large they've held their own despite obviously having little in the way of coaching or help from senior professionals....

the fact is that whoever takes over the club will have a good group of bairns in and around the squad and i'm asking is allardyce the man to handle that?

i'm not saying he is or isn't just asking for more than "With Allardyce, if a youngster is good enough, he'll get to play, but if he isn't good enough he's gone." 

what evidence do you have to back that up like?  how do you know he never held up the development of a bairn to bring in one of his "foreign bargains" we hear so much about?

Hunt and Nolan? Two players who have come through and been significantly better than any player who has come through at newcastle in the past ten years.

What players have left Bolton and gone onto greater things? - None, sure looks like Allardyce knows what he is doing. We must not also forget that we can afford to spend ten-fold more on our academy than Bolton have been able to.

Hunt and Nolan? Two players who have come through and been significantly better than any player who has come through at newcastle in the past ten years.

What players have left Bolton and gone onto greater things? - None, sure looks like Allardyce knows what he is doing. We must not also forget that we can afford to spend ten-fold more on our academy than Bolton have been able to.

Please, don't be daft.

You are right that his politics and philosophy of the game is not to rely on young players(like Wenger,SBR,sir Alex Ferguson)

He is rather the opposite.He prefers to bring in experience players rather then giving the young academy boys a chance.I think that there is nothing wrong in that.How many youngsters from the Chelsea academy have you seen Mourihno plays?

If there is talent in our academy i doubt that Allardyce will miss it.But like James said he is not going to bring academy players,geordies into the team just because they are local lads.He will remove the players he decided that cant do it in the Premiership.

Also to mention this:

Can you imagine that under Allardyce player like PETER RAMAGE will get a game or two???

I think this player is playing for this club just because he is local lad and the club is giving him a chance.

He is absolutely shocking player who should be playing in the conference

This kind of players will have no chance to play/or to stay at the club under Allardyce

He will remove the dead wood asap

we could dance around like this all day - firstly i don't know about the players bolton have released when they were young and have gone onto whatever...there could be plenty but they might have slipped the net when they shouldn't have been allowed to, which is what i'm on about

i'll give you nolan by the way but hunt, come on!!  average at best

i'm not tearing into allardyce here just stating something i thought about this morning...i mean lets say we got wenger tomorrow...which way do you think he'd go for example?  i think he'd give the kids a chance in the squad before signing players to play ahead of them and chucking the bairns in during emergencies

this is what worries me, not just about allardyce but about whoever might take over; the constant cycle of unquestioned spending to improve the sqaud...at NUFC it's always spend first think later

for what it's worth i actually think allardyce might well be astute enough to see what he has isn't the type of manager to piss money away for the sake of it...i was just pointing out that as everyone accepts at bolton he's extremely "results-oriented" and this may be the reason for you to only be able to name 2 players who've made his first team...

You are right that his politics and philosophy of the game is not to rely on young players(like Wenger,SBR,sir Alex Ferguson)

He is rather the opposite.He prefers to bring in experience players rather then giving the young academy boys a chance.I think that there is nothing wrong in that.How many youngsters from the Chelsea academy have you seen Mourihno plays?

If there is talent in our academy i doubt that Allardyce will miss it.But like James said he is not going to bring academy players,geordies into the team just because they are local lads.He will remove the players he decided that cant do it in the Premiership.

Also to mention this:

Can you imagine that under Allardyce player like PETER RAMAGE will get a game or two???

I think this player is playing for this club just because he is local lad and the club is giving him a chance.

This kind of players will have no chance to play/or to stay at the club under Allardyce

i never said a word about playing players either 'cause they're local or from the academy...i pointed out the ones who have ability and have looked like they can cut it in the premier league, that is all

mourinho is a case in point as it happens, thanks for mentioning him; another results oriented manager who only seems to throw the likes of diarra in during an injury crisis but basically seems to stick with his older, more experienced players...(i refer here to his time at chel$ki rather than porto) and he gets a fair amount of stick for it...he let robert huth go last summer, sent all the kids out on loan then regretted it when he had no defenders!!!

Please, don't be daft.

I'm not saying that some of our current crop wont be better than Hunt in a few years time, but Hunt has made it, he is an important player in a club that has finished 5th this season.

The following players have come through the ranks since 1997:

Ameobi

S Caldwell

G Caldwell (although he has only featured at other clubs)

Chopra

Hughes

N'Zogbia

Ramage

Taylor

I'm only counting players that have regularly featured for two seasons of high level matches. Edgar, Huntington and Krul are too early to judge.

Of the above, Taylor and Zoggy are potentially going to be better than Hunt, but Hunt is currently more established and performing more consistently.

So I still stand by my claims that in ten years of Allardyce, he has done better with his young players than we have in that same period.

Also to mention this:

i never said a word about playing players either 'cause they're local or from the academy...i pointed out the ones who have ability and have looked like they can cut it in the premier league, that is all

mourinho is a case in point as it happens, thanks for mentioning him; another results oriented manager who only seems to throw the likes of diarra in during an injury crisis but basically seems to stick with his older, more experienced players...(i refer here to his time at chel$ki rather than porto) and he gets a fair amount of stick for it...he let robert huth go last summer, sent all the kids out on loan then regretted it when he had no defenders!!!

Like i said i doubt that if there is really talented players from the academy(Lua Lua,Godsmark,Carroll)he will miss it.

I think he will give them a chance,maybe not in the Premiership but in the reserves and then he will decide if they are good enough or not.

I think Allardyce has good judgement about players.

He is not like Roeder or Souness

Allardyce will spot the talent and get rid of the dead wood.

Roeder wont

Please, don't be daft.

I'm not saying that some of our current crop wont be better than Hunt in a few years time, but Hunt has made it, he is an important player in a club that has finished 5th this season.

Ameobi

S Caldwell

Chopra

Hughes

N'Zogbia

Ramage

Taylor

I'm only counting players that have regularly featured for two seasons of high level matches. Edgar, Huntington and Krul are too early to judge.

Of the above, Taylor and Zoggy are potentially going to be better than Hunt, but Hunt is currently more established and performing more consistently.

So I still stand by my claims that in ten years of Allardyce, he has done better with his young players than we have in that same period.

where did you get the comparison with NUFC for the last 10 years??!!  never been mentioned, we're a bag of shit and mostly always have been...there was no comparison there from me

i'm saying that there are players coming through NOW regardless of who is charge...and you still stand by hunt and nolan over a 10 year period do you?  in that same 10 year period, seeing as you're making comparisons, newcastle have had 5-6 managers, hardly a recipe for long-term stability is it?

furthermore nicky hunt is better than taylor!!! i'd stand and argue that with you all day mate

Please, don't be daft.

Ameobi

S Caldwell

Chopra

Hughes

N'Zogbia

Ramage

Taylor

where did you get the comparison with NUFC for the last 10 years??!!  never been mentioned, we're a bag of shit and mostly always have been...there was no comparison there from me

i'm saying that there are players coming through NOW regardless of who is charge...and you still stand by hunt and nolan over a 10 year period do you?  in that same 10 year period, seeing as you're making comparisons, newcastle have had 5-6 managers, hardly a recipe for long-term stability is it?

furthermore nicky hunt is better than taylor!!! i'd stand and argue that with you all day mate

We overrate our own youngsters, and then five years later, we realise how rubbish they were when we see them playing for Villa reserves in a team managed by a good manager.

We do have 3-4 players who look like they might make it,but it is up  to the manager to assess them. We cant play them just for the sake of seeing if they can fulfil potential.

You got the ten year comparison because you asked what Allardyce has produced, and that is an unfair question to ask given our own record. I think i have made it clear that assuming our academy is up to scratch, Allardyce would be better at this than Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit, Robson and Souness were, and we are not in a position in which we can magically employ this fictional manager who can win trophies and play the kids at the same time.

I can only name two recent examples for Allardyce, as I have not been minutely following Bolton over the last ten years. I can be certain though that now player has slipped the net.

Nicky Hunt and Steven Taylor are at two different stages of their development, and given that Taylor remains very tactically inexperienced, especially at set-pieces, Hunt currently edges Taylor, although I'd like to see both in a Newcastle back four next season.

I'm sure that if Allardyce had had Taylor over the past two seasons, Taylor would be in the England squad. If anyone can get performances out of our young defenders, Allardyce can, so given that Edgar, and Huntington have both had their chances, if Allardyce has seen potential in them, he'd be a very good choice of manager in order to get the best out of them.

Please, don't be daft.

Ameobi

S Caldwell

Chopra

Hughes

N'Zogbia

Ramage

Taylor

where did you get the comparison with NUFC for the last 10 years??!!  never been mentioned, we're a bag of s*** and mostly always have been...there was no comparison there from me

We overrate our own youngsters, and then five years later, we realise how rubbish they were when we see them playing for Villa reserves in a team managed by a good manager.

We do have 3-4 players who look like they might make it,but it is up  to the manager to assess them. We cant play them just for the sake of seeing if they can fulfil potential.

You got the ten year comparison because you asked what Allardyce has produced, and that is an unfair question to ask given our own record. I think i have made it clear that assuming our academy is up to scratch, Allardyce would be better at this than Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit, Robson and Souness were, and we are not in a position in which we can magically employ this fictional manager who can win trophies and play the kids at the same time.

I can only name two recent examples for Allardyce, as I have not been minutely following Bolton over the last ten years. I can be certain though that now player has slipped the net.

Nicky Hunt and Steven Taylor are at two different stages of their development, and given that Taylor remains very tactically inexperienced, especially at set-pieces, Hunt currently edges Taylor, although I'd like to see both in a Newcastle back four next season.

I'm sure that if Allardyce had had Taylor over the past two seasons, Taylor would be in the England squad. If anyone can get performances out of our young defenders, Allardyce can, so given that Edgar, and Huntington have both had their chances, if Allardyce has seen potential in them, he'd be a very good choice of manager in order to get the best out of them.

aha!  i've found it, happens a lot on here when i'm talking at cross purposes with someone just takes a while for me to sniff it out

you see the statement "employ this fictional manager who can win trophies and play the kids at the same time" tells me that we'll never agree 'cause i've reconciled myself with the fact that we will not be winning trophy's for a very, VERY long time for a variety of factors

the idea that people are out there who still even mention it like it might be a possibility amazes me

it's reason i harp on about the kids you see?  we're broke, to all intents and purposes, & we have a poor team/coaching/medical setup yet as a club we have no realisation of the situation we're in and are still trying to behave like we're in with a shout of 4th place man

reality bites dude and it bit me a while back...to me the best option we have as a club is to ship as much garbage as we can this summer, get someone like allardyce to spend what money we have wisely across the board and then give these bairns a shout...what's the alternative?

by the way agreed about taylor and allardyce 100%

Its a valid point mrmojorisin75  brings up, which is obviously a doubt that would arise. There are certainly several dark points in appointing Big Sam.

His European record - hardly any experience managing or playing in europe  and a reasonably dissapointing campaign with Bolton.

The bung enquiries - do we need any more scandal and dark clouds over the club?

Big club syndrome - Can he handle a big club with big pressures and intrusions into his personal life?

He however remains a succesfull manager and an innovative coach, he would certainly shake up the club, instill passion in the players and get us a decent bargain or two in the market! not to mention shoring up the defence is a distinct possibility too!

Personally I dont think he is the right man and I think we could find alot better abroad. We have been too down trodden by mediocrity and failure we would take anything better than what we had. Given our recent patience track record I dont believe it will take too long before people are on Allardyces back.