Emergency Board Meeting?

Guest graemeh72

Guest graemeh72

Sky Sports News commenting on the Sundays

The bloke reviewing the papers this morning reckons that there will be an Emergency Board meeting as earlier as tomorrow.

I think the main source is the Sunday Mirror - don't read the thing myself - so perhaps somebody who does could update?

Guest Christian Hayne

whenever the managers get in trouble at newcastle, all the papers say the same thing about emergency board meetings.

I can assure you Roeder will be here next season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Liverpool are ready to make a £12m swoop for West Ham's Carlos Tevez. (People)

Chelsea are tracking Bayern Munich's Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro. (News of the World)

Promoted Birmingham want to lure Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Foster, currently on loan at Watford. (Sunday Express)

Chelsea are lining up an £8m bid for Tottenham full-back Pascal Chimbonda. (News of the World)

Juventus boss Didier Deschamps is to mount a £9m raid for Bolton striker Nicolas Anelka. (Daily Mirror)

Tell us your transfer rumours

OTHER GOSSIP

Newcastle have called an emergency board meeting which will almost certainly mean the sack for boss Glenn Roeder. (Sunday Mirror)

Fulham want former Chelsea manager Ruud Gullit to lead them into a new era. (Mail on Sunday)

Manchester United and Everton will be probed by the Premier League over Tim Howard's abscence from their clash at Goodison Park. (News of the World, Mail on Sunday)

Wigan are to demand the Premier League launch a new probe into Carlos Tevez's status at West Ham. (Daily Mail)

AND FINALLY

West Ham's players have been blasting out Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry to inspire them in their fight against the drop, especially the line "Everything's Gonna Be alright". (Sunday Express)

Guest Christian Hayne

i hope this is true but we go through this everytime the managers job is threatened and it either turns out to be rubbish, or to tell them their job is safe. freddy never does the right thing so expect roeder to be sacked half way through next season

Guest sicko2ndbest

The mirror is shepherds usual mouthpiece so it offers me hope.

I do believe Shepherd will sack Roeder or re-position him within the club as he did very well with the academy.

Its going to be an exciting summer for 2 reasons:

1) Sack Roeder bring new man in and give him money to spend

2) Keep Roeder and paper over the cracks by giving him a lot of money to spend to keep season ticket renewals high

Guest sicko2ndbest

IT'S END OF THE ROEDER FOR GLENN

EXCLUSIVE TOP OF THE LEAGUE FOR LIVE ACTION

By Brian Mcnally 06/05/2007

More Football

Have your say: Football forum

NEWCASTLE UNITED have called an emergency board meeting for tomorrow which will almost certainly mean the sack for manager Glenn Roeder.

Angry Toon fans demonstrated outside St James' Park after the 2-0 defeat by Blackburn yesterday chanting "Taxi for Roeder".

Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd wanted to delay a decision on Roeder's future until after next Sunday's final match of the season at relegated Watford.

AdvertisementBut Newcastle's timid surrender against Blackburn seems to have sealed Roeder's fate.

The Lancashire side cruised to a 2-0 victory thanks to goals by Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts to spark angry protests outside the ground.

Newcastle's failure to score for the fifth home league game in a row was their worst St James' Park sequence since 1951.

Earlier, the bealeaguered Toon boss had appealed to chairman Shepherd to give him until Christmas to try and revive Newcastle's fortunes.

But that plea looks to have fallen on deaf ears and Roeder seems certain to be sacked before the Watford game.

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is hotly tipped to take over from Roeder, although Shepherd insists that no contact has yet taken place.

Is this ITK

Guest Christian Hayne

i don't think we can sack roeder, until another manager agrees to come here, otherwise we will be in the same mess again.

i don't think we can sack roeder, until another manager agrees to come here, otherwise we will be in the same mess again.

Why not?

We can sack Roeder now,put Pearson and Clark for the final game

The point is that the board must do urgent job in finding the right man

Bring Allardyce or Errickson and they will have plenty of time until the next season starts

i hope this is true but we go through this everytime the managers job is threatened and it either turns out to be rubbish, or to tell them their job is safe. freddy never does the right thing so expect roeder to be sacked half way through next season

The replacement is more important than the timing of any sacking.

Guest Christian Hayne

i understand, i want roeder to be sacked and then we find end up in another mess because the managers turning us down

If this board dont sack Roeder within 2 weeks this is going to be the biggest disgrace in Newcastle United history

You haven't got a clue about recent times let alone an understanding of the history of the club. It would be a very good thing if you would stop posting such utter tripe.

Equally as important, as well as the right backing from the board.

All these issues need to be spot on in this day and age to give a manager the best leg up. Usually a manager will get time to settle so its not so important when they come in and you'd be right, but with the EPL so fast paced, so demanding, a string of poor results can see a safe manager knocked off his perch without warning, and now managers get less time to get it right, especially at Newcastle.

I think we'd all breath a sigh of relief if GR goes in May, the board give the new manager £20m+ whatever he brings in.

I know you don't want him, but i think its nailed on Sam is coming here, if not do you really trust FS to bring in someone better?

i understand, i want roeder to be sacked and then we find end up in another mess because the managers turning us down

I'm not at all sure I understand what you're trying to say there, like.

Edit. Ok, I got it. I don't agree. Keeping the wrong man isn't the right way to go even if a replacement isn't lined up. Of course, the haters of Fat "pie eater" Fred will slate him for not having someone lined up as an immediate replacement, even though the same people will clamour for Roeder to be sacked today whether there is a replacement lined up or not. :)

All these issues need to be spot on in this day and age to give a manager the best leg up. Usually a manager will get time to settle so its not so important when they come in and you'd be right, but with the EPL so fast paced, so demanding, a string of poor results can see a safe manager knocked off his perch without warning, and now managers get less time to get it right, especially at Newcastle.

I think we'd all breath a sigh of relief if GR goes in May, the board give the new manager £20m+ whatever he brings in.

I know you don't want him, but i think its nailed on Sam is coming here, if not do you really trust FS to bring in someone better?

Can't agree mate. If you get the right man you'll do ok. Robson was appointed at roughly the same stage of the season as Souness, for example. Obviously it would be great to get the timing spot on too but sacking Roeder today and appointing another plank like Souness wouldn't do anything positive. The manager is the most important person at the club, getting the right man in no matter what the timing is of paramount importance imo.

Guest Christian Hayne

sorry.. i am trying to say that if the managers freddy goes for turn us down. then there is no-one to take charge and we will be in the same mess we are in now.

sorry.. i am trying to say that if the managers freddy goes for turn us down. then there is no-one to take charge and we will be in the same mess we are in now.

I got there in the end, mate. I edited the previous reply to your post further up the page.

Can't agree mate. If you get the right man you'll do ok. Robson was appointed at roughly the same stage of the season as Souness, for example. Obviously it would be great to get the timing spot on too but sacking Roeder today and appointing another plank like Souness wouldn't do anything positive. The manager is the most important person at the club, getting the right man in no matter what the timing is of paramount importance imo.

Depends on which club. This club, it needs quick fixes and long term goals from the off, or you don't stand a chance. SBR had that, i'm also sure he didn't have transfer windows to work around and was able to sign players (Gallagher) as soon as he got in the seat. If we sack GR in September after spending £20m, then bringing in a new manager, were just putting ourselves further in trouble long term, and for the short term who knows what would happen that season.

Your right i suppose getting the right man is crucial, but if we do our usual 5 games in trick, were fuked.

Depends on which club. This club, it needs quick fixes and long term goals from the off, or you don't stand a chance. SBR had that, i'm also sure he didn't have transfer windows to work around and was able to sign players (Gallagher) as soon as he got in the seat. If we sack GR in September after spending £20m, then bringing in a new manager, were just putting ourselves further in trouble long term, and for the short term who knows what would happen that season.

Your right i suppose getting the right man is crucial, but if we do our usual 5 games in trick, were fuked.

That's a good point about the transfer window system, things are different now. Personally, I wouldn't entertain giving Roeder another £20m to spend, which is getting back to what I said during the first transfer window under Souness. I'd already seen enough to tell me he wasn't going to be the right man so giving him money wasn't the right thing to do. The same now applies to Roeder. He has to go, tbh.

It really feels to me that Allardyce, in practice, is in a very powerful position. Roeder's credibility as a manager has been shredded and he has to go. Allardyce is the only available candidate of sufficient standing to restore a bit of morale within the team and some backing from the fans. When people say they'd like to see us appoint someone better, I'd like to know who they have in mind. Besides, Allardyce has done enough to demonstrate his ability.

It looks to me like Allardyce or no-one. In which case he'd be able to demand a long contract and a powerful say in the running of the club.

That's a good point about the transfer window system, things are different now. Personally, I wouldn't entertain giving Roeder another £20m to spend, which is getting back to what I said during the first transfer window under Souness. I'd already seen enough to tell me he wasn't going to be the right man so giving him money wasn't the right thing to do. The same now applies to Roeder. He has to go, tbh.

After yesterdays game there is no way he'll be in charge next season, so that takes care of the why,  I'm sure i'll get my wish of the when in the summer, it just remains the who, and it looks ever more likely to be SA than anyone else right now.

Its a step above Souness & Roeder, this job could make him an even better manager, in fact its the next logical step for him, he's not going backwards in his career, and is on the up. This job is a big one, but he's big enough shoulders to carry it, it just remains to be seen whether he'll want to try and change his philosophy slightly and become a creative manager, but even if he doesn't and we play shite football every week and win 1-0, i couldn't give a monkey's right now, Chelsea & Liverpool have been doing it for years and they've won everything between them.