Taxi

GM

Roeder: Don't order a taxi yet

Source: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1765_2110345,00.html

Glenn Roeder remained defiant in the face of concerted protests after seeing Newcastle capitulate against Blackburn in their final home game.

There were chants of "Taxi for Roeder", "Shepherd out" and "Sack the Board" after the Magpies failed to score in a fifth successive league game at St James' Park for the first time since 1951 and slumped to a 2-0 defeat by Rovers.

Roeder has spent the week trying to deal with speculation that Sam Allardyce is being lined up to replace him, and there is little doubt chairman Freddy Shepherd faces a tough decision.

However, Roeder was refusing to throw in the towel 12 months after winning the job by guiding his side into Europe.

He said: "Chants like that happen in football stadiums around the world. I understand the fans' frustration.

"When I see my team create chances and miss them, I am as disappointed as any of the fans because I know the importance of winning games when you are a manager.

"But it has not made me lose any confidence in myself. I am very much the same person who was here last year who had a fantastic finish to the season.

"I have not changed as a person. Of course I understand, 100% understand, where the fans are coming from.

"They want a winning Newcastle team and I also want a winning Newcastle team. At the moment, we have not been winning and I understand their frustration.

"To win matches, you need to score goals and we have not done that for four, five, six weeks now, and that has cost us greatly.

"I do understand their feelings."

Kieron Dyer passed up a glorious opportunity to put the home side ahead with a fifth-minute header which was turned away by Brad Friedel, but it was largely downhill from there for the Magpies.

Benni McCarthy claimed his 22nd goal of the season on 14 minutes despite looking suspiciously offside, and after Michael Owen - playing his first game at St James' since December 10, 2005 - saw a 69th-minute shot cleared off the line by Christopher Samba, Jason Roberts wrapped up a deserved victory with his fifth in as many games.

Roeder's players were initially roundly booed when they returned to the pitch to thank the fans for their support this season, and some remained to protest for more than an hour after the final whistle.

He added: "My determination could not be increased anyway, it is always flat-out. I am always striving to do better, like I expect my players to."

I don't care. He's useless and he needs to be told to fuck off.

Step to the side and go back to the youths with a little respect.

Exactly. Its not that no one likes him, hes just out of his depth. Would love this to happen.

I dont know say what to roeder.Just want to have a cup of coffee now.

Maybe you should say "Oi, Glen, make me a cup of coffee - see if you can manage that without ballsing it up"

Step to the side and go back to the youths with a little respect.

Exactly. Its not that no one likes him, hes just out of his depth. Would love this to happen.

Speak for yourself. I don't like him. Think he's a fidgety-faced nervous wreck who's undermining the confidence of the players. I'd imagine a team talk from him would be enough to drive the most confident of players into the depths of despondency, tbh.

But it has not made me lose any confidence in myself. I am very much the same person who was here last year who had a fantastic finish to the season.

You're also the same person who sent 3 teams down. Fantastic finish? He's not modest is he?

Guest johnson293

The next question that some journo or reporter needs to ask him is...

Why have performances and results not improved in slightest, and even gotten slightly worse, since the (key) injuries have cleared up??!!!

The team was doing better when it picked (and motivated) itself, and included a lot of young players.