SBR and Freddy

Mr Logic

Those that have read SBR's book can clarify certain points here but as I recall the sacking wasn't the most honorable affair from Bobbys perspective. Something about the chairman having a red face at the final meeting, and other comments regarding transfers the SBR was unaware of all but called Shepherd a liar. Didn't SBR confess surprise at the sale of Speed.

Yet here we are for the last three home games the two have been sat side by side. How did that come about? And what has been discussed I wonder?

One would imagine SBR was invited as Shepherds guest. Was there some sort of apology made by Shepherd?

"With hindsight I cocked up big time Sir Bobby." Can't imagine that somehow.

And what have they been talking about? Is Shepherd pumping SBR for advice whenever he gets the chance? Is it possible Shepherd would take advice like this?

Does it mean, perhaps, that Shepherd has learnt a very valuable lesson and won't interfere with the next manager ala Speed? We can live in hope it has been productive meetings.

You've got to remember that Shepherd gambled on Robson in the first place when nobody else would touch him because of his age (66 at the time wasn't he?). I'd imagine they got on for most of the time here so would obviously still be pretty close.

I think Shepherd is just using Sir Bob to boost his own popularity. Sir Bob, being a trusting and forgiving soul, hasn't twigged. I doubt if any meaningful discussions have taken place.

You've got to remember that Shepherd gambled on Robson in the first place when nobody else would touch him because of his age (66 at the time wasn't he?). I'd imagine they got on for most of the time here so would obviously still be pretty close.

I think, despite what happened between them, that there is probably a genuine friendship there, and I think Shepherd is cherishing what will inevitably be his last few opportunities to share some time from Sir Bob.

I think Shepherd is just using Sir Bob to boost his own popularity. Sir Bob, being a trusting and forgiving soul, hasn't twigged. I doubt if any meaningful discussions have taken place.

Unduly cynical I think.

I think, despite what happened between them, that there is probably a genuine friendship there, and I think Shepherd is cherishing what will inevitably be his last few opportunities to share some time from Sir Bob.

Unduly cynical I think.

On the first point - if you read Sir Bob's book, it's pretty clear that Shepherd was reluctant to hire Sir Bob. He offered him a derisory salary at first that he was honour bound to refuse. Word is that it was the Halls who forced the choice of Robson on Shepherd.

Cynicism? Well as someone has said, Sir Bob has been attending home games for some time, and it's only been recently, when Shepherd's position as Chairman has come under threat, that they've been sitting together.