Carr cursed at Roeder!

KaKa

Third strike and out for Roeder

Newcastle 0 Blackburn 2

By COLIN YOUNG - More by this author »

Last updated at 00:02am on 7th May 2007

Comments (1)

To face one protest from his own fans was unfortunate: two looked like more than carelessness: the third which engulfed St James’ Park on Saturday finally cost Glenn Roeder his job.

Three times this season, Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has had to listen to the club’s supporters call for his head, and his patience finally snapped as he watched his team endure their fifth home defeat of a miserable campaign against a side who, unlike Newcastle, are now serious UEFA Cup contenders.

Scroll down to read more:

Looking grim: Roeder presides over a dire final match

More....

Old mates turned inside out by Darius

Moyes needs to buy into Europe

Warnock still a believer as Villa pile on pressure

The drop can ruin lives, says Unsworth

Tevez taking it to the wire

Ronaldo class tells as United win ugly

Sanchez makes his case

Shepherd wanted to stay loyal to Roeder. Sick of his reputation as a hirer and firer, the chairman wanted stability at a club still reeling from Alan Shearer’s retirement and which has never really recovered from Sir Bobby Robson’s harsh dismissal.

Robson has now become a regular at St James’ and he was alongside Shepherd to watch this Newcastle debacle Although fit-again Michael Owen came close to scoring his first home goal for 20 months, only to be denied by Christopher Samba’s incredible headed clearance, Newcastle were totally outplayed by a well-organised Blackburn side who could yet squeeze into the top seven.

Before the game, Roeder and Shepherd had pencilled in a meeting at which the manager hoped to see his transfer targets and budget on the agenda. Yesterday morning, Shepherd brought that meeting forward and made the agenda his manager’s future. Roeder left with his P45.

The previous home defeats which woke Newcastle fans from their apathy came against Sheffield United and Manchester City. During both games, supporters turned on Shepherd and protested long and hard outside the main entrance. Saturday was different. The ‘Taxi for Roeder’ chants were the first signs of unhappiness with a man who guided the club to Europe but has never looked likely to repeat the feat.

The lap of shame after facing Blackburn was an embarrassment, but Roeder insisted the players were right to show their appreciation to the few who stayed. The fans didn’t know whether to boo or applaud, so did both.

It must have made perplexing viewing for Robson who once paraded his team in front of an even smaller audience. His crime was finishing fifth, back in the days when Champions League qualification was a realistic ambition.

The presence of Albert Luque was laughable, although he has become very rich for doing very little thanks to the club. Like Celestine Babayaro, Titus Bramble’s excuse was an injury, although Emre was out there with a foot brace.

Totally unacceptable was the reaction of Stephen Carr, hardly a Toon Army darling, who raced down the tunnel after he had been torn to pieces by David Bentley.

To Shepherd and the fans, it was clear evidence Roeder had lost elements of his dressing room. Carr shouted expletives at his manager and thundered off to ‘get some ice’ for an injury which was a surprise to the medical staff.

"I suppose he could have walked around with an ice pack on his thigh or hamstring or whatever it is," said Roeder. "I’m not going to criticise him more than that. The majoritycameout. Theywon’t have enjoyed it but you’ve got to be strong in life. It’s easy to take the applause when you’re winning."

Bramble and Carr were just waving for offside when Benni McCarthy converted the excellent Stephen Warnock’s cross to put Blackburn in front. It was a borderline decision but they surely waved farewell to St James’ in the process. Carr was guilty again when Bentley eased past him to cross for Jason Roberts to nod a second.

Scroll down to read more:

Had he survived, Roeder intended to rebuild the Newcastle squad. Whoever does it now must start with an entire back four, a more cohesive midfield and, if they can hold on to Owen, possibly a new strike partner for him. Obafemi Martins may have netted 11 goals but successful passes to Owen were rare.

Roeder said: "There are players who have been here too long and probably need to move on. Some will benefit from a new experience and motivation. We have a few players who have gone stale and need to move.

"Very few stay at clubs for long and do well the whole time. It can be a cruel business, but decisions have to be made and if you don’t let players go who are not what you’d expect a Newcastle player to be and good enough to be in a team that’s challenging for Europe, then actually it becomes a very easy decision. Because it’s the right one."

Newcastle could have done with McCarthy, who is the third highest Premiership scorer with 15 goals, but admits he is looking forward to the end of his first English campaign.

He said: "I’m starting to really miss my family. It’s been a very long season and especially hard for me. I’ve tried my utmost and adapted really well, but gone a whole season without seeing them and without having anyone very close to me.

"People say I’ve done fantastically well but they don’t understand how much I miss my family and how I’ve had to adapt to a new culture. It’s been really hard, so I’d love the season to be over and done."

Guest LucaAltieri

of course he did... he's a loud-mouthed cunt. I'd be more surprised to hear him quote Shakespear.

Carr is a talentless, miserable little shit who should think himself lucky that Roeder was thick enough to keep him in the team. 

I CAN'T WAIT to see the axe drop this summer.  Roeder was poor, but there are some players that have been asking for it for a long long time.  And I hope we finally get a manager that will send them packing. 

It must have made perplexing viewing for Robson who once paraded his team in front of an even smaller audience. His crime was finishing fifth, back in the days when Champions League qualification was a realistic ambition.

And to think we felt badly done to back then  :(

He's a horrible little fat monster. Piss off Carr. One of the worst full backs in the league. Offers absolutely nothing. Don't care if he's had a could of decent games. He has never performed very good at all for us.

You could just imagine the little troll doing that in the dressing room tho. Next manager better get that little s*** out of here soon.

What he said!!

Carr doesn't deserve the shirt. Not many do to be fair!

Anyone else find it unusual that Beni McCarthy's family haven't moved to Blackburn?

Sounds like he's very unhappy there.

And Carr's a twat, get him sold and replaced.

Aye I was wondering what the story is with McCarthy's family - are they in Spain? South Africa?

Visa problems perhaps meaning they've not been allowed in the UK? Anyone know?

Guest VegasToon

No matter how bad the manager is you should always show him respect, Carr should be ashamed of himself and i hope whoever comes in gets rid of him.

Could not have said it any better.

Hardly suprising it would be carr, even less so an injury the medical staff were bemused by. I hope he is the first person out of the club this summer detestable troll, who has arguable given away as many goals as tightarse.

Guest Ridzuan

Use to like Carr to a small extent,but after what I have just read about him,I change my mind.I hope he will leave in the summer as well.

And to think we felt badly done to back then  :(

Fickle motherfuckin' fans. That's all one has to say. It was shocking to see the fans boo and SBR getting the sack for finishing FIFTH and missing out on the CL by a margin. I can remember loads on this board who were calling for SBR's head, and I can still find a few nodding heads, I'm sure.

What hindsight gives you, eh?

Guest Ridzuan

carr will just be a bit frustrated at playing out of position, then gettin ripped to bits by bentley.

Who cares.You are the player and you will do as what the manager tell you so.A lot of young kids are eager to play in the first team and they dont really care what position they play,maybe we should give them the opportunity to play instead of the more senior players who are ungrateful.

i hate when people say players should play where they are told and just be grateful that they are playing, then fans come on and slate the manager for playing them out of position cause they played crap. players dont learn to play in a certian position for some crap tactitian to come along and change it, especially when the player in question is so late on in his career.

Guest Ridzuan

i hate when people say players should play where they are told and just be grateful that they are playing, then fans come on and slate the manager for playing them out of position cause they played crap. players dont learn to play in a certian position for some crap tactitian to come along and change it, especially when the player in question is so late on in his career.

In a way yes,I can understand the players frustrations,but that doesnt mean they can curse the manager as the please.

well done carr. Roeder is a fool man he deserved it probably. Would you have wanted to do a "Lap of Honour" after that crap. Carr probably knows they have let the fans down and does not want to rub their noses in it

It was painful to watch, particularly the moment when, with the stadium four-fifths empty as the players were asked to perform an obligatory lap of "honour", the manager, Glenn Roeder, walked across towards young James Milner and offered to pat him on the back. The player did not acknowledge it.

He lost everyone didnt he.