The Academy

Martin Lol

With some of the youngsters now beginning to work their way through to the first team squad, maybe you will be seeing Roeder's success from his Academy days.

The fact that the current crop were beaten in the semi final of the Youth Cup by the eventual winners is also a plus point for Roeder imo.  True, he wasn't in charge of them this season but they would have signed for the club when he was.  Roeder's legacy to Newcastle will be Krul, Edgar etc etc.

Guest Ridzuan

He has a habit of developing bright young players for the future,not just with us but with other clubs he managed before.Hopefully,the current youngsters we have in our squad will become as good as the Lampards and J.Cole.

He has a habit of developing bright young players for the future,not just with us but with other clubs he managed before.Hopefully,the current youngsters we have in our squad will become as good as the Lampards and J.Cole.

haha.. yeah they will

playing center defenders at left back isn't really the best introduction to professional football for the youngsters.. or the way he handled N'Zogbia or the fact that Carrol could've done a job instead of Sibierski.. Roeder developing youngsters.. jesus.. he 'developed' them when there was nobody else to play, because of his hindsight in the transfer market

Guest Magpiecn

I cant forget what a great team West Ham was in 02/03.Though it relegated,we can see roeder have the ability to develop the young players.

Guest Magpiecn

I'd love him to continue at the Academy in some capacity but I can't see that happening.

Why? :idiot2:

I'd love him to continue at the Academy in some capacity but I can't see that happening.

Because I think he did a fine job at the academy. Got them to one FA Youth Cup semi final and then the youngsters he recruited got us to another FA Youth Cup semi final this year.

With some of the youngsters now beginning to work their way through to the first team squad, maybe you will be seeing Roeder's success from his Academy days.

The fact that the current crop were beaten in the semi final of the Youth Cup by the eventual winners is also a plus point for Roeder imo.  True, he wasn't in charge of them this season but they would have signed for the club when he was.  Roeder's legacy to Newcastle will be Krul, Edgar etc etc.

he was there about a year, or even less.

dont realy think he can be credited with much at all!

Guest smoggeordie

Because I think he did a fine job at the academy. Got them to one FA Youth Cup semi final and then the youngsters he recruited got us to another FA Youth Cup semi final this year.

No he didn't. He wasn't in charge last season when we did that.

No he didn't. He wasn't in charge last season when we did that.

He was in charge up until the QF final stage I believe and by all account it was his team.

The myth that Roeder did so well with the Academy really bugs me to be honest.  He was there for what, 6 months?  Yet he gets all the credit for pushing the likes of Edgar, Carroll, Huntington, Pattison through, when infact those players were already well established at the club before he got here.  I personally think Kenny Wharton deserves a lot more credit for the work he's done.

The myth that Roeder did so well with the Academy really bugs me to be honest.  He was there for what, 6 months?  Yet he gets all the credit for pushing the likes of Edgar, Carroll, Huntington, Pattison through, when infact those players were already well established at the club before he got here.  I personally think Kenny Wharton deserves a lot more credit for the work he's done.

Exactly, I always wondered about the big "Roeder did a good job at the academy" myth. If he had worked there for a longer time and regularly brought players through who made it at first team football, fair enough. But I find it difficult to judge his work from a couple of months with mostly ressources put in front of him and without really applying his own strategies...

Guest TheOrder

The academy is a joke anyway. Rooted in the shit that the first team is in. Knowing what I know, I'd never reccommend the NUFC academy for budding players, not even my future son.

Wharton!?!? You lot are fooking joking? Look at how well Boro's youth setup improved once Wharton left. No parent worth there salt would let there son go to a club where a youth coach is a known bully. As many people rightly say Roeder was not at the Academy long enough to impact that much.  Wharton is up there with Alan Irvine for me as a person who has put our youth system backwards.

Guest hagler

wharton and beardsley were both cleared by the fa and the two lads had their contracts terminated...there was never any bullying

wharton and beardsley were both cleared by the fa and the two lads had their contracts terminated...there was never any bullying

Don't let facts get in the way of anything.

Wharton has been the one constant in the Academy staff over the past few years which have been pretty successful, therefore I fail to see why he gets such stick from Thespence.

Guest Morph

Wharton is up there with Alan Irvine for me as a person who has put our youth system backwards.

How are you in a position to say that?  Have you been through the academy yourself?  Have you been to countless academy sessions?  Have you spoke to Wharton about the work he is doing and what his future plans our for our acadmey?  no, thought not.

Guest Knightrider

It is a myth that Roeder did a great job with the academy, he was there for a shit and a shave and those things take years to come to the fore. He is good with younger players though I'll give him that.

Guest Morph

wharton and beardsley were both cleared by the fa

Cleared by The FA mackems.gif 

:lol:

I don't get it....

Guest TheOrder

Wharton is up there with Alan Irvine for me as a person who has put our youth system backwards.

How are you in a position to say that?  Have you been through the academy yourself?  Have you been to countless academy sessions?  Have you spoke to Wharton about the work he is doing and what his future plans our for our acadmey?  no, thought not.

My mate is/was the academy captain. He said the academy is a joke.

My mate is/was the academy captain. He said the academy is a joke.

Before or after he was released?