Get this one right Freddy & the future doesn't look too bad...

Guest Knightrider

We have a decent spine to the team

No we don't.

Shay, Taylor, Parker, Owen - not exactly Cech, Terry, Essien and Drogba I know but name a spine as good as or significantly better outside of the top four and you'd struggle.

We all know Shay is one of the best, on his day thee best, Taylor has massive potential, forget his silly moments, his performance against Drogba recently is his real level if he works hard, is coached right and has the right attitude. Parker has had a poor season but if managed right, i.e. not told to be something he isn't - our Steven Gerrard, he can be a more than effective player in there for us and Owen, well he's a world class goalscorer when fit and on form.

If you take Given, Taylor, Parker, Owen as the spine of the team and assume they were all playing to their full potential under competent management, you'd still have a critical flaw there in midfield and defence. Taylor I feel can still become one of England's best defenders with the right coaching and with the right partner. Parker however just leaves me cold. He's been utterly woeful under Roeder - and played like he didn't give a shit. I didn't even notice him on Saturday - if that is meant to be our captain then there's little further explanation required as to why we played in such a listless, erratic and uninspiring fashion. I don't know if I'm expecting too much from him, but misplaced passes and a lack of passion don't make me think he's part of a strong spine to the team.

you have to be joking?

He has potential.

Guest Knightrider

No we don't.

Shay, Taylor, Parker, Owen - not exactly Cech, Terry, Essien and Drogba I know but name a spine as good as or significantly better outside of the top four and you'd struggle.

We all know Shay is one of the best, on his day thee best, Taylor has massive potential, forget his silly moments, his performance against Drogba recently is his real level if he works hard, is coached right and has the right attitude. Parker has had a poor season but if managed right, i.e. not told to be something he isn't - our Steven Gerrard, he can be a more than effective player in there for us and Owen, well he's a world class goalscorer when fit and on form.

If you take Given, Taylor, Parker, Owen as the spine of the team and assume they were all playing to their full potential under competent management, you'd still have a critical flaw there in midfield and defence. Taylor I feel can still become one of England's best defenders with the right coaching and with the right partner. Parker however just leaves me cold. He's been utterly woeful under Roeder - and played like he didn't give a shit. I didn't even notice him on Saturday - if that is meant to be our captain then there's little further explanation required as to why we played in such a listless, erratic and uninspiring fashion. I don't know if I'm expecting too much from him, but misplaced passes and a lack of passion don't make me think he's part of a strong spine to the team.

I agree if we are being ultra critical or matching them up against the big four, but that would be daft. Fact is, there aren't many with a better spine or many without similar flaws, eg:

Spurs - Robinson, King, Jenas, Berbatov

No we don't.

I think the likes of Parker and Taylor will benefit the most from SA.

I think even the likes of Ramage will, because unlike under Roeder and Souness, they'll be well drilled, organised and disciplined and above all else - coached correctly. You look at some of the dross Bolton select and yet you don't see them making elementary mistakes too often, which is why a player like Haim can be plucked from nowhere then a season or so later, be wanted by Chelsea. Same with that Jiadi bloke (spelling?)

Good point and that Faye bloke looked decent, I think SA could do a decent job here but some people will right him off straight away because of the way Bolton played football which imo is a bit of a myth. I think SA has proved in recent season that he can handle troubled players (Anelka,Diouf).

Guest makemeacupoftea

No we don't.

you have to be joking?

He has potential.

potential to become an OK player, nothing special

Guest triggy99

No we don't.

If you take Given, Taylor, Parker, Owen as the spine of the team and assume they were all playing to their full potential under competent management, you'd still have a critical flaw there in midfield and defence. Taylor I feel can still become one of England's best defenders with the right coaching and with the right partner. Parker however just leaves me cold. He's been utterly woeful under Roeder - and played like he didn't give a s***. I didn't even notice him on Saturday - if that is meant to be our captain then there's little further explanation required as to why we played in such a listless, erratic and uninspiring fashion. I don't know if I'm expecting too much from him, but misplaced passes and a lack of passion don't make me think he's part of a strong spine to the team.

you have to be joking?

He has potential.

not to be the best defender in the world

No we don't.

If you take Given, Taylor, Parker, Owen as the spine of the team and assume they were all playing to their full potential under competent management, you'd still have a critical flaw there in midfield and defence. Taylor I feel can still become one of England's best defenders with the right coaching and with the right partner. Parker however just leaves me cold. He's been utterly woeful under Roeder - and played like he didn't give a s***. I didn't even notice him on Saturday - if that is meant to be our captain then there's little further explanation required as to why we played in such a listless, erratic and uninspiring fashion. I don't know if I'm expecting too much from him, but misplaced passes and a lack of passion don't make me think he's part of a strong spine to the team.

you have to be joking?

He has potential.

not to be the best defender in the world

Aye, because that's what I said, isn't it?

Fuck me. Mong alert.

Guest Armchair Pundit

The problem is this - Shepherd must now get a manager in that not only will do the job but will inspire the fans, cause some excitement. Someone with credentials or experience. If he doesn't do this and hands it to someone who is either (1) inexperienced ala Roeder or (2) well-known but shite ala Souness then we're back to square one and the whole process of 1-2 years of dismal half arsed results where the fans aren't behind the team will ensue. As far as I can see right now there aren't many candidates that give the fatman the opportunity to get it right, Coleman, Newall, Bruce would all be a disaster in my eyes. Are we going to go for Sam? Who knows, if Freddy doesn't appoint someone decent and as soon as possible we could be left in limbo and have to take on another 5th choice manager for the umpteenth time.

Guest Petay

This is what should have happened when we sacked Souness.  The fat knacker calls a press conference, he then states that a club of Newcastle's size and ambition has to appoint a top manager to match this, but as the England post is essentially vacant at this time, and lets face it a bigger draw than Newcastle, many of the top class managers we are looking at are reluctant to commit to Newcastle.  So until the England post is filled Glen Roeder will be our caretaker manager.  We will spend this time looking in detail at all the available managers and when the England post is filled we will apoint one.  Would have appeased the fans and stopped him making the mistake of appointing Roeder.

Guest Petay

Oh as for our spine I would agree that we have an excellent one I would add Milner and on past ability Duff to this list of good players.

Guest newcastle4life

Hopefully whoever gets the job allardyce or someone else gets it right and turns the club around if we finally make a correct appointment.

We have a decent spine to the team and in Krul, Edgar, Taylor, Zoggy, Milner, Martins and Carroll we have a fine crop of younger players there. With 53,000 fans every week, a stadium that could well hold 60,000 plus in the not too distant future and with a turnover of £90-100m - there is an awful lot there to work with and aid any would be good to excellent manager. It goes without saying this is the critical point in these players' NUFC careers, our future and the future of the board. We may be a million miles away from the top 4 but the rest, we are not and if any club can challenge that top four, it is us as we showed under Sir Bobby - a good manager who was right for the club at the time. We now need to find another Sir Bobby if you like.

Over to you Freddy and co...

What on earth is this decent spine you're on about, mate?

You're over-rating certain players again.

We have a decent spine to the team and in Krul, Edgar, Taylor, Zoggy, Milner, Martins and Carroll we have a fine crop of younger players there. With 53,000 fans every week, a stadium that could well hold 60,000 plus in the not too distant future and with a turnover of £90-100m - there is an awful lot there to work with and aid any would be good to excellent manager. It goes without saying this is the critical point in these players' NUFC careers, our future and the future of the board. We may be a million miles away from the top 4 but the rest, we are not and if any club can challenge that top four, it is us as we showed under Sir Bobby - a good manager who was right for the club at the time. We now need to find another Sir Bobby if you like.

Over to you Freddy and co...

This is the key appointment. For what it's worth I think he will get it right. It's not about turnover btw its about profit.

If this is our key, driving the club into the future appointment, then he's got it wrong with Fat Head Allardyce.

He'd be acceptable as a stopgap, but not much more.