What is acceptable next season?

Lloydie

Simple question. Imagine you're Freddy Shepherd. You're about to hire a new manager. He asks where you think he should finish and how much he'll have to spend. You tell him he'll get fifteen million to spend, plus anything he can bring in from player sales.

The question is, with those resources where would you expect him to finish?

I'd expect to be somewhere between 6th and 10th.

Guest Knightrider

Ironically, a top top manager would get more leeway with regards to where we should finish, a poor one gets none really.

if the manager is given money to spend (ie not sell first) id want a 5-6th place realisticly. We have a class team, add a few players and decent manager to that and you can forget the likes of spuds/pomp/bolton/championship upstarts

For me, it's anything above where we finish this season. I just want to progress.

We need to stop demanding 4th spot, 4th spot has well and truly said goodbye to us. Top 6 is a realistic ambition over the next few seasons, but not a realistic aim for next season, if you ask me. It doesn't mean we couldn't get it, but to demand it for next season would be thick. Fully expect the demands to be top 6.

EDIT: Bloody hell, David.

Guest Knightrider

Visible progress. It's as simple as that.

Aye, even if we finished in 11th place, if I saw visible signs of better things to come, I'd be happy. That's why SBR didn't get it in the neck in his first two seasons, because we all saw better things to come, him being an experienced top-class manager helped anarl like.

id want the number of home losses to be in the 1-2 region, and to turn the away defeats into draws.

but most of all, i cant wait for the day someone beats the first man from a corner, now that will be a feat to savour.

Guest graemeh72

Being in the UEFA places all season, and getting one

plus Quarters in both Cups

thats bare minimum imo

I'd probably say Top 8, however - if we finish anywhere in the top half (providing we've constantly been in the running for Europe), i'd be happy. That would be progress, without a shadow of a doubt.

So bascially, i just want to see us have a realistic chancew of getting Europe - kinda like Spurs/Pompey. They might not get into Europe (Spurs probably will), but they've given it a damned good go.

So my answer is: Top 10, having had a good chance of Europe

plus Quarters in both Cups

I honestly don't know how anyone can 'expect' any particular standing in cups to come. It's completely random, at this stage atleast, how well we do.

However, i'd like to see us give the Carling Cup a real go - like we did this season, because we could do well. We were unfortunate against Chelsea.

Guest Christian Hayne

i would be happy with anything from 10th upwards and try to win the carling cup or get to the final. to show there is an approvment in our fortunes.

Visible progress. It's as simple as that.

Aye, even if we finished in 11th place, if I saw visible signs of better things to come, I'd be happy. That's why SBR didn't get it in the neck in his first two seasons, because we all saw better things to come, him being an experienced top-class manager helped anarl like.

I agree with everyone saying visible progress. Whether its better football, organised at the back, positive signings etc.

Next season? Finishing above Sunderland as a minimum. Way above them.  I'd hope to see us qualifying for the UEFA and not via the Intertoto, either.