Not at all optimistic

stozo

Am I the only one not at all optimistic about our future. Personnally I think this is one of the worst timed sackings in our history. Our squad is crap and the manager who had done all the planning for the summer is gone and will be replaced by someone who most likely will not have been looking for players or in Big Sam's case won't have been looking at the sort of players in our price/quality budget.

Also I'm not at all optimistic about getting Allardyce. I think Allardyce would want full control over everything here and I'm not sure FS would accept that. Also I'm not sure Allardyce wants the job, he turned it down twice before so why would he take it now?

I just think we have wasted a whole year now and were back where we started in only a slightly better state.

I also question that if Roeder did indeed say he would resign at christmas if we weren't top 6 then why did the board not accept that. It seems to me that Roeder would have cleared out the remaining deadwood this summer and brought in defensive reinforcements. Then if things hadn't worked out we could have got rid at christmas and had January for the new manager to bring in a couple of new players and settle in.

To me now it seems we'll be behind on all the other teams in summer preparation and all the plans layed out before are now ruined. You also have to wonder what the players are thinking now, no manager, no clear summer plans, if I were Owen I'd be on my phone to my agent getting me transfered to Man U ASAP

Am I the only one not at all optimistic about our future. Personnally I think this is one of the worst timed sackings in our history. Our squad is crap and the manager who had done all the planning for the summer is gone and will be replaced by someone who most likely will not have been looking for players or in Big Sam's case won't have been looking at the sort of players in our price/quality budget.

Also I'm not at all optimistic about getting Allardyce. I think Allardyce would want full control over everything here and I'm not sure FS would accept that. Also I'm not sure Allardyce wants the job, he turned it down twice before so why would he take it now?

I just think we have wasted a whole year now and were back where we started in only a slightly better state.

I also question that if Roeder did indeed say he would resign at christmas if we weren't top 6 then why did the board not accept that. It seems to me that Roeder would have cleared out the remaining deadwood this summer and brought in defensive reinforcements. Then if things hadn't worked out we could have got rid at christmas and had January for the new manager to bring in a couple of new players and settle in.

To me now it seems we'll be behind on all the other teams in summer preparation and all the plans layed out before are now ruined. You also have to wonder what the players are thinking now, no manager, no clear summer plans, if I were Owen I'd be on my phone to my agent getting me transfered to Man U ASAP

So when would be a good time to sack a manager? End of the season is perfect really, It will give SA the whole pre-season to sort a few things out

If we get Allardyce i will be fucking well pleased. I think with a bit of money he will be capable of getting us challenging for UEFA Cup football next season and once he had his own full squad of players i think he could take us on further in the long term. He won't waste money.

I think we have to be optimistic.

We have found ourselves in a position where we will have a new manager at the start of the summer. I think most people expected Roeder in for at least the first 6 games of next season and for him then to be sacked.

To find ourselves where we are now is a bonus so we have to think positive and think that next season may start on the up.

We have to try and be positive - cant think of a worse thing to be doing than be giving of a bad vibe with a nother new manager. We felt like that with Souness and look where that got us.

Sacking was timed to perfection. If we get in a manager soon, he'll have ample time to conduct his transfer dealings. Any decent manager would already be scouting players, especially someone like Allardyce. Now since Bolton are above us, I don't think we can snigger at the players he surely has been keeping an eye on because well, if they did sign for them, they'd have been signing for a better team.

With regards to Roeder resigning at Christmas, that's really a shit idea. If we sacked him then, which decent manager would want to join us halfway through the season? And since we did sack him, it'll obviously mean we're in a bad position, so the possibility of relegation (and our current form suggests we'll be heading there eventually) is there as well. Do you trust Roeder to clear out the deadwood? I certainly don't. He dallies over his signings, meaning we might get rid of 5 players but only get in 2 or 3, meaning we have an even smaller squad, which will of course be a perfect excuse for him. Freddy's done the right thing by sacking him now and the new manager will have plenty of time to sign/sell the players he wants to.

Sorry Stozo (have you lost the happy pills I gave you) this is absolutely the correct time to make the change. The board have been totally pro-active and responded to the changing environment (ie Allardyce resignation). They were probably wanting to hold onto till the summer, but the incidents and the performance against Blackburn has drawn a line under that. Infact it is widely accepted we spoke to the reps of SGE around 3/4 weeks ago and this is further indication for me anyway that this time it has been thought through. What better than to give the new man the whole summer and pre-season. Have faith my dear.....Accept the dawning of the new light. :lol:

Sacking was timed to perfection. If we get in a manager soon, he'll have ample time to conduct his transfer dealings. Any decent manager would already be scouting players, especially someone like Allardyce. Now since Bolton are above us, I don't think we can snigger at the players he surely has been keeping an eye on because well, if they did sign for them, they'd have been signing for a better team.

With regards to Roeder resigning at Christmas, that's really a s*** idea. If we sacked him then, which decent manager would want to join us halfway through the season? And since we did sack him, it'll obviously mean we're in a bad position, so the possibility of relegation (and our current form suggests we'll be heading there eventually) is there as well. Do you trust Roeder to clear out the deadwood? I certainly don't. He dallies over his signings, meaning we might get rid of 5 players but only get in 2 or 3, meaning we have an even smaller squad, which will of course be a perfect excuse for him. Freddy's done the right thing by sacking him now and the new manager will have plenty of time to sign/sell the players he wants to.

I'm optomistic that Big sam will do well at St James, one slight concern is that he decides to keep the deadwood like Bramble and Car so he can judge for himself. Mind you Glenn may well have kept Car anyhow.

Guest eltsacwen

Is Tal Ben Haim still out of contract in the summer? Maybe Allardyce will brig him with him to Newcastle.

This is absolutely the best time to do it - the new manager gets the entire summer transfer window and the pre-season to put things in place.

We changed ours two weeks before the start of the season, which is infinitely worse. Give FS his due on this one, he's got shot at the best possible time.

If he goes after SA and gets knocked back, then his own situation will surely look untenable?

Your nuts, but i've always thought that  :lol:

I stopped reading when he said this was a bad time to sack a manager. 

Me anarl. It's not like it's Roeder we are talking about, who takes 4 hours to decide what he's having for breakfast. If it's Allardyce, one day in the transfer window would be enough for him to make improvements (exaggeration).

Guest Gemmill

Please go back and carry on its a hoot.  O0

Fuck me, he says now would be a bad time to sack a manager, and then goes on to advocate sacking the manager in January instead, having allowed him to spend our summer transfer budget. :lol:

Our manager will be either Allardyce or Ericksson.

They both now our squad,especially Allardyce

It wont take too long for them to see where we need strengthening and which players they wont use.

If we appoint manager in the next week the situation is perfect for next season

It just needs the manager to be good.

I fully expect Freddy to serve up another manager to disapoint, not suceed and be sacked within 3seasons. Alladyce and Hughes just wont be up to it IMO, and i dont really know why so many are excited about them, what have they done to impress so much, and make us believe they can turn is into league contenders and cup winners (afterall, thats what we want isnt it?)

Please go back and carry on its a hoot.  O0

Fuck me, he says now would be a bad time to sack a manager, and then goes on to advocate sacking the manager in January instead, having allowed him to spend our summer transfer budget. :lol:

Told you it would make you laugh.  :uglystupid2:

I'm less than convinced that Big Sam is the man for the job but guess we need to be realistic, we are kidding oursleves if the likes of Hiddink etc will be interested.  Its a shame but Allardyce may be the best we can hope for.

I'm less than convinced that Big Sam is the man for the job but guess we need to be realistic, we are kidding oursleves if the likes of Hiddink etc will be interested.  Its a shame but Allardyce may be the best we can hope for.

Ericksson?

Ericksson?

Again, to be honest I'm not sure, he was truly dreadful with England and his achievments before that were either a long time ago or helped by a lot of money.  Though as I said, I don't think we are in a position where the choice will be vast.  I don't envy Shepherd, the mistakes he has made over the last 2/3 years are coming back to haunt him and made his next decision a very difficult one. 

Ericksson?

Again, to be honest I'm not sure, he was truly dreadful with England and his achievments before that were either a long time ago or helped by a lot of money.  Though as I said, I don't think we are in a position where the choice will be vast.  I don't envy Shepherd, the mistakes he has made over the last 2/3 years are coming back to haunt him and made his next decision a very difficult one. 

England played bad under him but afterall he was unfortunate not to achieve something with England

2002 World Cup=Seaman blunder  against Brazil

2004 European Championship=Portugal penalty kicks elimination

2006 World Cup=Portugal penalty kicks elimination

At club level he has impressive CV and has won trophies at every club he worked at.

Also only at Lazio he managed to win things due to alot of money.

I think he is our best option

Compared with Allardyce he is more experienced,worked at bigger clubs and won alot of trophies

As with most people in this thread I disagree with the OP. This is absolutely the right time for Roeder to go; but we need to capitalise on that by getting in the man we want soon. A full pre-season with the new manager is pretty much perfect, and we should hit the ground running.

Ericksson?

England played bad under him but afterall he was unfortunate not to achieve something with England

2002 World Cup=Seaman blunder  against Brazil

2004 European Championship=Portugal penalty kicks elimination

2006 World Cup=Portugal penalty kicks elimination

At club level he has impressive CV and has won trophies at every club he worked at.

Also only at Lazio he managed to win things due to alot of money.

I think he is our best option

Compared with Allardyce he is more experienced,worked at bigger clubs and won alot of trophies

the reason he underachieved at England was awful tactics and the awful pairing of Lampard + Gerrard

at Lazio he won things as you say thanks to a lot of money