Managerial appointments of NUFC

James

This isnot an assessment of the standard of NUFC managerial appointments, rather a description of the circumstances leading up to each appointment. I'm goiung to start with Gullit, as I was too young to remember Keegan's (BWJ) arrival, and I was on holiday when Dalglish was appointed.

Gullit

Dalglish got sacked/resigned out of the blue, and Gullits appointment was also very quick and suprising.

Robson

General fan clamour for Robson Was very much a case of just waiting for the club to agree terms and then announce the deal. No alternatives were really discussed. It took a while to court Robson, but he was persuaded eventually, after he had initially turned down a derisory offer.

Souness

Every day, there was a new candidate, and they would rule themselves out. Problems related to the apparent lack of options. Then as soon as people started looking at the continent, Shepherd pulled Souness out of nowhere.

Roeder

Fans failed to unite over this one as there were too many alternatives to choose betwen, especially as we got closer and closer to the end of the season. Because things took so long, the caretaker was given a long time to prove himself, and thus got the job.

Conclusions

Prior to the last two appointments, nobody particularly appealling appeared to throw themselves at the job. Obviously, it is up to Shepherd to take all the possible steps to court the managers.

Shepherd has behaved differently for each appointment, although another point to make is that only once has the initial favourite got the job. We were lucky that all the circumstances were perfectly timed.

Has Shepherd timed Roeder's departure such that the circumstances can suit him for once?

Or are we going to wait for Shepherd to pull out another totally unexpected 'pleasant suprise' as we have seen the other three times?

Robson

General fan clamour for Robson Was very much a case of just waiting for the club to agree terms and then announce the deal. No alternatives were really discussed. It took a while to court Robson, but he was persuaded eventually, after he had initially turned down a derisory offer.

Not how I remember it. Sir Bobby seemed to be begging for the job; there was no need to court him.

Robson

Not how I remember it. Sir Bobby seemed to be begging for the job; there was no need to court him.

In his book, he says that Shepherd approached him once with an inferior wage, Robson said no way, so Shepherd went off for a week, only to come back and beg with a larger offer.