Butt > Teymorian

Dyer > Thompson

N'Zogbia > Fortune

Carroll < Vaz Te

Ramage < Faye

Solano > Joey O'Brien

Huntington > Michalik

Edgar < Cesar Martin

So in a 23 man squad, three players are equal, eight Newcastle players are worse than their counterparts, and 12 players in our squad are better than their Bolton counterparts.

Comments:

Throughout the squad, Allardyce has  better defenders, spending less money than we spent on Titus Bramble, and having a less productive youth uptake.

Mediocre to good midfielders/strikers at Bolton are out performing what are considered as being good to excellent midfielders/strikers at Newcastle.

Individual comparisons of this nature don't mean a lot imo. It's a team thing, it's about getting the blend and balance right. Even if overall we have better players than Bolton there is no guarantee Allardyce will be able to mould them into a decent team.

I'm not sure where the idea of us having excellent midfielders/forwards is coming from. Our midfielders in particular are very over-rated and up front we only have 1 striker of genuine and real quality. We have another striker of potential good quality but the rest are shite. 

We won't break the 40 goals scored barrier this season and we've conceded less goals than Bolton.

Individual comparisons of this nature don't mean a lot imo. It's a team thing, it's about getting the blend and balance right. Even if overall we have better players than Bolton there is no guarantee Allardyce will be able to mould them into a decent team.

I'm not sure where the idea of us having excellent midfielders/forwards is coming from. Our midfielders in particular are very over-rated and up front we only have 1 striker of genuine and real quality. We have another striker of potential good quality but the rest are shite. 

We won't break the 40 goals scored barrier this season and we've conceded less goals than Bolton.

All true. The midfield myth comes from the incorrect view that Dyer, Parker, Duff etc are top class.

Guest Echo

NUFC.COM

Form guide

Glenn Roeder's dreadful run of results ultimately proved his undoing and few would argue that he deserved to keep his job based on what was certainly relegation form over his final 16 games:

P16  W4  D5  L7  Pts 17

So why on earth would anyone even contemplate employing a manager whose form over the same 16 games reads:

P16  W4  D4  L8  Pts 16

So who is that manager? Could it be one of the relegated duo Aidy Boothroyd or Alan Pardew? No, it's Sam Allardyce - seemingly our next manager....

i think our home record next year will be ALOT better can't be much worse

and if Sam makes us a hard team to beat on our travels like he did at Bolton we should pick up ALOT more points than this year too.

thus we are sure to improve next season

guaranteed!!!!

not expecting season of miracles, like us to finish in europe spot good FA cup run and whole team having a purple patch so show the progress.. be pretty ace

Carr and Hunt are equally shite.

Taylor is better than Meite, he's not a good player.

Gardner is better than Duff.

Parker is better than Nolan, who is basically just a tramps Lampard.

NUFC.COM

Form guide

Glenn Roeder's dreadful run of results ultimately proved his undoing and few would argue that he deserved to keep his job based on what was certainly relegation form over his final 16 games:

P16  W4   D5   L7   Pts 17

So why on earth would anyone even contemplate employing a manager whose form over the same 16 games reads:

P16  W4   D4   L8   Pts 16

So who is that manager? Could it be one of the relegated duo Aidy Boothroyd or Alan Pardew? No, it's Sam Allardyce - seemingly our next manager....

Stats can be made to look exactly how you want to look.

e.g. compare the first 16 games of this season.

toon - won 5    drawn 4    lost 7  19 pts - best result was probably 1-1 away to Arsenal.

Bolton - won 7    drawn 3    lost 6  24pts - wins over Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and the Toon.

Let's face it over the season Sam's team have 13pts more than we do, therefore they are the better team who had a better manager than us.

All true. The midfield myth comes from the incorrect view that Dyer, Parker, Duff etc are top class.

It comes from the fact that they all could, and probably should, perform to a much higher level. That's where my squad argument with you comes in, Northern Monkey. All these players do have the quality, a high ability, it's case of finding a way for all of them to utilise it. Underneath it all, we don't have a bad squad at all, in my opinion. Obviously we need four or five quality incomings, but we've got the foetus of a decent team here at Newcastle.

It comes from the fact that they all could, and probably should, perform to a much higher level. That's where my squad argument with you comes in, Northern Monkey. All these players do have the quality, a high ability, it's case of finding a way for all of them to utilise it. Underneath it all, we don't have a bad squad at all, in my opinion. Obviously we need four or five quality incomings, but we've got the foetus of a decent team here at Newcastle.

Not really.

Milner and Zog - Young players with potential but that's all.

Dyer - Hmm, nobody has worked out his best role even now. He's a defensive liability if he's used as CM and drifts inside too much when he's RM.

Parker - Absolute shite. One good season at Charlton and that's all. No reason to believe he'll do anything.

Butt - Decent player.

Emre - Blows hot and cold. Plays too deep. Disappears for long periods.

Duff - I've hopes for him for next season but he's got a lot of improving to do on his performances for us since signing.

Solano - If we had a decent RB and good movement up front I'd put him back on the right of midfield and then we have a real quality player there, a player with vision, the creative ability to pick out a pass that we lack so much and the ability to link up with the forward players. All Milner does on the right is try to charge down the flank and chuck over a cross. All well and good but not enough I'm afraid.

That isn't excellent by any stretch, only Solano and Butt will guarantee a performance most of the time and they're both cracking on a bit. Overall it looks fairly average if you're being at all realistic about the actual performances this lot have been turning out for quite a while now. 

When you add in the factor that as a combination these players don't blend well you really run into trouble.

take milner in RW anyday over Solano, Nobby's game is far too limited, aye can deliver a telling ball but as can Milner who always has better work-rate, mean striker of the ball and can whip in a mean ball.

Solano offers no advantage over Milner for a RW spot im afraid, no now anyhoo this was 2 years ago would wholeheartedly agree ming

Guest Echo

NUFC.COM

Form guide

P16  W4   D5   L7   Pts 17

P16  W4   D4   L8   Pts 16

Stats can be made to look exactly how you want to look.

e.g. compare the first 16 games of this season.

toon - won 5     drawn 4     lost 7   19 pts

Bolton - won 7    drawn 3    lost 6   24pts

Hmmm not brilliant that way either - certainly not when you clag it with the first set .  I agree you can play with stats but it's hardly reaching for the stars.  Looks like boro could finish above us too but I wouldn't fancy Gareth coming in.