Guardian: Sidwell to Chelsea

thewellander

Steve Sidwell is poised to move to Stamford Bridge this summer, with the Reading midfielder ready to resist Newcastle's overtures along with those of other Premiership clubs. The 24-year-old, who is out of contract at Reading in July and has rejected the club's offer of a new deal, has emerged as a transfer target for Jose Mourinho with the Chelsea manager keen to strengthen a midfield that will be severely depleted during the African Nations Cup early next year.

It is understood that Chelsea have watched Sidwell on a number of occasions this season and, mindful that Michael Essien and Mikel Jon Obi will be departing for up to six weeks during the middle of the campaign, believe that the midfielder will provide cover during that period as well as improving competition for places. Aston Villa, as well as Newcastle, had also been tracking Sidwell but Chelsea's interest has effectively ended both clubs' hopes of procuring the player.

Sidwell has been instrumental in Reading's rise, helping the club to win promotion before playing a key part in their impressive first Premiership campaign. Steve Coppell has previously expressed concern that Sidwell's development might be held back if he joined a club where he was not guaranteed a regular place but, although the player is likely to consult the Reading manager for advice, it is believed that his mind is all but made up.

Having been born and raised in London, Chelsea's location as well as their profile is attractive to the former Arsenal trainee, while a salary in the region of £50,000 a week, tripling his current wages, will bring financial security for life. With Mourinho not expected to have a significant transfer kitty in the summer, Sidwell's availability on a Bosman free transfer is appealing to the west London club. Sidwell is expected to confirm his decision after Sunday's end of the season.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2075350,00.html

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it. I hope this isn't true. I rather wanted Sidwell to join the side.

Why do Chelsea want to sign him?

Mourinho is already having trouble picking his CM's, Why go and buy another one

If he goes there he will be another Parker..

Oh, multi-millionaire for doing f*** all.  Sounds alright to me! O0

Jujst Jose trying to make sure no fker else gets him, he will end up going the same as SWP though and neing a becnh warmer if lucky Lam,pard and Essien will be his midfield 2 and I think Ballack will be sold. I have to laugh at players who go there and end up regretting it, greedy fkers that they are.

Guest andynufc84

You can bank on Chelsea being daft enough to pay him 50K a week.

Don't blame him for wanting to take the money, who wouldn't?  And he's a London Lad so this move is perfect for him, still believe

we can find better players than him anyway.

He's had one decent season in the premiership.

Guest andynufc84

What is he actually good at? Anyone watched him play this season and what sort of midfield player is he?

What is he actually all about?

Is it true he's scored 3 times? Pardon my ignorance but I havn't seen him play enough.

I still can't see him going there, this is a lad who dropped down a division to make sure he could first team football. He can't be stupid enough to believe he will get plenty of games at Chelsea when he must have at least 4 players ahead of him.

For an out of contract player I bet he could get close to that sort of wage somewhere else and be a regular in the team.

What is he actually good at? Anyone watched him play this season and what sort of midfield player is he?

What is he actually all about?

Is it true he's scored 3 times? Pardon my ignorance but I havn't seen him play enough.

His main attribute is that he's a free transfer.

Maybe Chelsea are being smart on this one. They know we want him, they know Shepherd is great at buying their rejects (scouting network? Why do we need one, let Chelsea do it for us!!), so why not snap him up on a free, pay him a year's wages whilst hes on a 5 year contract, piss him about in the reserves and give him the odd first team game where hes bound to look good, then flog him to us or Spurs for £6mill? Tidy little profit.

Guest SwissMagpie

Wonder what happend to :"Sidwell at Newcastle is the worst kept secret in Football".......................

My mate insists he will get about 30 games with Essien and Mikel off to the Afrcan cup of nations thing. Really can't see it. They will still have Makele and Lampard as central midfielders.

IF he does have any talent, he won't realise it there, and like said earlier, he'll become another SWP/Parker/Geremi...

Also, if Mourinho is leaving, whos decided to sign Sidwell? (i know its not official he is leaving)

Can't see him getting many games at Chelski (lots of ££££££££ though), realstically is he going to play much before Mackelle, Lampard Essien, Ballack, Mikel, SWP, Joe Cole etc? Doubt it very much.

If he goes there for the money and to sit on the bench then good luck to him, but he could well of ruined his career.

What a fool he will be to go there.

I doubt his football career will develop alot there

Maybe his bank account will but not his football career because he will play in the League cup games,probably 2 games a month in the Premiership or play 10min as sub.

Never mind i never wanted him here so its not so bad news for us.

I had prefer if whoever comes here to sign some creative midfielder.Someone like Diego,Riquelme and Rafael van der Vaart

The last will be perfect for us.