Sir Bobby speaks....

Guest Ridzuan

Guest Ridzuan
Football favourite Sir Bobby Robson today called on fans to rally behind Newcastle's next boss. Sir Bobby, who managed the club for nearly five years, spoke exclusively to the Chronicle about Glenn Roeder's departure and United's hunt for his replacement.

And he thanked well-wishers for their messages of support after revealing he is fighting cancer for the fifth time.

Sir Bobby, 74, said: "It is not the toughest job in football. It is an easy job to want to have at least.

"It is a wonderful club and I just want success.

"It is a massive football club and I just hope they can get the right man in to do the right job, whoever that might be.

"Whoever it is can succeed. They need all the support of the board and the fans and with the support of everyone, it is a wonderful job."

As Roeder spoke for the first time of his departure from the club he once captained, Sir Bobby wished his successor well, but refused to be drawn on speculation Sam Allardyce will be confirmed as the new man within days.

He added: "It is not my position to guess who will be made manager. I have been out of the club for three years and the board have made their decision.

"Let's hope there's a brighter and better future for the club. That's what we all hope for.

"I have got no idea who will come in at this stage and I'm not privy to any inside news so I haven't got a clue.

"But what I do know is Glenn lost his job and that's unfortunate for him. I wish him well.

"Let's hope the next manager will be a step onwards for the club.

"With the right support from the board and the fans, let's hope whoever it is will bring what we all want to Newcastle and that's silverware."

Sir Bobby was pictured at Saturday's losing clash against Blackburn with chairman Freddy Shepherd and said he remains a passionate supporter of the Magpies.

He said: "The club will always be close to my heart. My dad was black and white and took me to Newcastle and I was black and white and lucky enough to be manager."

Well said by Sir Bobby.Theres more to it which I didnt post here in which he talks about his health.If you want to read it,here is the link.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/chroniclelive/eveningchronicle/tm_headline=stand-by-your-man%26method=full%26objectid=19065079%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

"have been out of the club for three years and the board have made their decision."

Does this mean the man is already chosen. I can only imagine it is big sam then.

"have been out of the club for three years and the board have made their decision."

Does this mean the man is already chosen. I can only imagine it is big sam then.

Exactly what I thought - though it could be another Bobby-ism...

Exactly what I thought - though it could be another Bobby-ism...

Think he's saying it's not his place to speculate who the new manager will be as he is no longer involved with the club in any official capacity.

Guest LucaAltieri

Forever the gentleman

HA HA HA!!! As soon as he got his ££££'s off Shep he was back sitting next to him at the match.

It didn't even deserve that much of a reply, to be fair.