Houllier is interested in Toon job (or not it would now seem)

Skirge

Guest Gomez

Houllier?!?! No thanks....know a few Liverpool fans who hated him, say he ruined their club. Fair enough he won some trophies but they only saw him as taking them backwards. And look at some of his purchases....Cheyrou, Biscan, Le Tallec, Pongolle.....and he spent a hell of a lot of money on these. No thanks.......

True, a lot of Liverpool fans do hate him, but the vast majority still have a big soft spot for him. Some Liverpool fans do think he ruined the club, but some Liverpool fans want Rafa out. We all have our idiots and xenophobes. Houllier dragged us out of the mess caused by Evans and Souness, he put some discipline in the squad, vastly improved the playing staff and gave us a winning mentality. He might have f*cked up big time with Diouf, Cheyrou and Diao (BTW, Pongolle is a good player, most LFC fans will be sad to see him go - he is currently having a good season in Spain) but he also bought Hyypia, Henchoz, Hamann, Riise, Dudek, Kewell and Finnan.

The style of football we played was nowhere near as bad as made out, certainly better than what Alladyce has served up at the reebok. I remember some great performances at home and in Europe

and a partridge in a pear tree.

;D ;D

I'm not convinced about Houllier. Since their last league title, successive managers have struggled to take Liverpool forward from the position of being top-four to Champions, which is where they want and need to be. I don't think Houllier did significantly better or worse than what you'd expect of a manager at such a huge and well-resourced club.

As for Eriksson, I think he's a good manager but he feels like more of a risk than Allardyce. At this stage of his career, would he really be up for the particular challenge that is us? It would be a step down from previous jobs, whereas for Allardyce it would be a step up. I think that works in Allardyce's favour.

But we can say that he didnt manage at club level for some time now and he will be motivated to do it again

Also he will be extra motivated to succeed at Newcastle so that way he will silence the critics who were saying that he is not good as England manager.

Well maybe, but that doesn't sound like the strongest kind of motivation. Even if you're right, what happens when problems arise and he starts to get some stick? Is he going to say to himself, 'must prove myself' or is he going to say, 'Sod this, I've won trophies in Sweden, Portugal and Italy, and I've managed a major international football team. Now these losers are telling me I don't know how to manage a football team. Do I really need this?'

There was a similar discussion when we were having the O'Neill v Hitzfeld debate a year ago. A lot of people were pointing to Hitzfeld's superior record in winning trophies, but (I felt) ignoring the issue of motivation. If he's climbed the mountain before, why should he want to climb it again with a club where the chances of success are nowhere near as good? Sure enough, he opted to go back to Munich rather than take a backward step.

I say - give the job to a bloke whose career is still on the way up.

I dont think the thinking of managers and players are like you describe it.

I dont think Giggs will say to himself:Well i've won 9 Premiership tittles.Do i need to play anymore football or not.

Or would Lippi say:I've won the world tittle so do i need to manage again.

Every person wants to prove himself at whan he thinks is doing best.

Yes the chances for Ericksson to win a trophy here are smaller then doing it at Man Utd for example but then the challenge is bigger and if he succeed the feeling will be sweeter.

Also i dont think that his career is over and on a down.

Well i dont know maybe you are right.

Ultimately nobody can be 100% sure who would do better job-Ericksson or Allardyce.

I do think that Allardyce is more passionate and more ambitious person.

Or it looks like this.

Ericksson rarely express his emotions.

Houllier?!?! No thanks....know a few Liverpool fans who hated him, say he ruined their club. Fair enough he won some trophies but they only saw him as taking them backwards. And look at some of his purchases....Cheyrou, Biscan, Le Tallec, Pongolle.....and he spent a hell of a lot of money on these. No thanks.......

That's why I wouldn't want him here.

That's why I wouldn't want him here.

I think he's learned a lot since then....especially buying in the transfer market.

Guest Knightrider

Houllier would have been a very good appointment but I'm happier with Big Sam who I consider to be a better all-round manager, although Houllier's experience and successes would have more than compensated for that.

Houllier would have been a very good appointment but I'm happier with Big Sam who I consider to be a better all-round manager, although Houllier's experience and successes would have more than compensated for that.

I think Houllier has better contacts on main land Europe but if i had the choice i'd choose SA.

Guest Knightrider

I think Houllier has better contacts on main land Europe but if i had the choice i'd choose SA.

What, because he's French? Those contacts served him well at Anfield mind... wasn't he peddled because he wasted a shit load of money on average players?

i was watching ESPN earlier today and they've said that Houllier has rubbished reports he's interested in the Newcastle job.. after that they showed SGE's agent basically saying that no contact has been made but Sven would like to come here, as it's such a "massive club with great infrastructure ( :cheesy: ) and great fans."

probably nothing new that, but i can't be arsed to check as there are too many threads about the same thing

Guest Knightrider

Why anyone would chose Allardyce over Houllier is beyond me.

That would be similar to picking Mark Hughes over Juande Ramos. Madness.

A year ago no-one had heard of Ramos, love how his name suddenly appears :lol:

I've already stated why I would rather have Allardyce over Houllier - because he's a better man manager, has more tactical acumen, hasn't wasted a shit load of money on crap players (although he hasn't had that option :D) and because he's a more suitable manager due to our finances and need to restructure. Not saying Houllier is crap BTW, he's a very good manager and I'd be very happy with him but you'd there isn't a great deal of difference between the two. I doubt Houllier could manage Bolton to the effect SA has, yet I reckon SA could have managed Liverpool to the effect Houllier did, league wise anyway.

What, because he's French? Those contacts served him well at Anfield mind... wasn't he peddled because he wasted a s*** load of money on average players?

He didn't waste as much money as Robson did here, his league record at Liverpool was better than Robson's too, add to that the trophies he won...

The fact is when you're spending big money on players you're always going to get some that flop, Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger etc have all had their fair share of big money flop signings, however that is countered by the bargain players they bring in.

Our aim should be to get back into the Champions League, surely the best way to do that is to employ a CL quality manager with a good history in European competition?

Guest TheOrder

Allardyce over Houllier for me, everyday of the week. However, in retrospect, replacing Bobby with Houllier would of been superb, but since we've had that shit bit in the middle, i'd take Allardyce now, in our current state, and what is needed at the club.

Guest Knightrider

What, because he's French? Those contacts served him well at Anfield mind... wasn't he peddled because he wasted a s*** load of money on average players?

He didn't waste as much money as Robson did here, his league record at Liverpool was better than Robson's too, add to that the trophies he won...

The fact is when you're spending big money on players you're always going to get some that flop, Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger etc have all had their fair share of big money flop signings, however that is countered by the bargain players they bring in.

Our aim should be to get back into the Champions League, surely the best way to do that is to employ a CL quality manager with a good history in European competition?

I'm just playing the devil man. Although I find it a bit piss poor of you to piss on Sir Bobby's achievements just to make a point. It would take us years BTW (IMO) to get back into CL contention, Houllier or no Houllier, Big Sam or no Big Sam  - you make it sound so simple though, just appoint a manager with a history of playing in the CL and we'll get there. Wonder why we never won a title under Dalglish...

Anyway I'd be happy with Houllier, but pointless even discussing it as it will be Big Sam ;)

I'm just playing the devil man. Although I find it a bit piss poor of you to piss on Sir Bobby's achievements just to make a point. It would take us years BTW (IMO) to get back into CL contention, Houllier or no Houllier, Big Sam or no Big Sam  - you make it sound so simple though, just appoint a manager with a history of playing in the CL and we'll get there. Wonder why we never won a title under Dalglish...

Anyway I'd be happy with Houllier, but pointless even discussing it as it will be Big Sam ;)

Why would it take us years? It took 2 new players to get us from mid table to CL in the space of a season.

I don't buy the "It didn't work for Dalglish" bollocks either, so he didn't work out for whatever reason, that doesn't mean we should abandon bringing in the best possible manager for the job because it didn't work out for Dalglish.

As I've said, our aim should be to get back into the CL so a manager with European pedigree should be a must, Allardyce had one bash at Europe and Bolton were woeful, and as for him being tactically better than Houllier. :lol:  Houllier not only put together a good defense but drilled them into a solid unit that every team struggled to break down, he's gone on from there to manage one of the best free flowing football teams in European football, it pisses all over Sam's long ball tactics.

Mind you I'm actually glad I'm not in agreement with you on this considering your opinions on the last 2 managers that we've had here.

Guest Knightrider

Why would it take us years? It took 2 new players to get us from mid table to CL in the space of a season.

That's not true, it took 2 years and 2 new players. You can't just forget his fist 2 seasons as a lot of groundwork was done in those two seasons. You name me one club that has went from finishing below mid-table straight to 4th and remained there for a number of seasons? There hasn't been one in modern English football, not since KK's Newcastle ironically who went from division one to 3rd, 6th and then 2nd. That was a long time ago though were football was more even and all about the best team on the pitch. Today it isn't about the best team on the pitch anymore, its about everything from diet to fitness to coaching to fixtures even, there are so many viarables that determine succes today.

I don't buy the "It didn't work for Dalglish" bollocks either, so he didn't work out for whatever reason, that doesn't mean we should abandon bringing in the best possible manager for the job because it didn't work out for Dalglish.

That's not the point I'm making. I'm saying forget about CVs for a moment and look beyond that. I don't pay too much attention to them myself, they are way down on the list of must haves where I'm concerned. For me man management skills, tactical acumen, motivational skills, ability to adapt, player development, coaching, ambition, commitment and philosophy among other things are all far more important than statistics on a CV. This is what determines a good manager, not a CV as Souness and Dalglish prove. They had the CVs yet lacked many of the things I identify as well, must haves. Now using this as a base to determine things, I look at Big Sam and Houllier and for me Big Sam has more plus points on the non CV must haves therefore comes out on top, although Houllier's CV is a leveller which then takes it down to personal choice and I go for Big Sam because I think he'd do a better job at Newcastle than Houllier would, especially if we have to wheel and deal due to financial issues. I also think appointing Houllier would raise expectations higher than which Allardyce's appointment would raise, which given that I think it will take years to get us back into CL contention, would serve him better than the Frenchman who because of his success and pedigree, will be expected to do this straight away, you've already said you don't think it would take so long under him, but if it did? You may give him patience but what about others?

BTW that's not to say CVs aren't important they are, but there is no point hiring a manager with a great CV if he doesn't tick the other boxes, yet going for a manager who does tick the boxes but doesn't quite have the CV will likely lead to that manager attaining the right kind of CV in the future. Big Sam will be more hungrier, more willing to adjust and adapt to win things and to acheive things where as a Houllier will stick with what has worked for him in the past, like Dalglish did.

As I've said, our aim should be to get back into the CL so a manager with European pedigree should be a must, Allardyce had one bash at Europe and Bolton were woeful, and as for him being tactically better than Houllier. :lol:  Houllier not only put together a good defense but drilled them into a solid unit that every team struggled to break down, he's gone on from there to manage one of the best free flowing football teams in European football, it pisses all over Sam's long ball tactics.

We went out in the 2nd round in KK's first bash at Europe, these things are like CVs, they can play tricks on you.  On the other hand, Roeder got us to the QFs and had us unbeaten up until Alkmaar....

Mind you I'm actually glad I'm not in agreement with you on this considering your opinions on the last 2 managers that we've had here.

Ouch :lol:

That would be two managers I correctly stated would take us nowhere and that it would all end in tears then, when they got the jobs. Don't mistake me supporting them or sticking up for them as something other when there are plenty of quotes dotted all over this site here on the forum and the main site to back me up.

I'll state here and now though, I think long-term we'd have a big chance of competing for CL places under Big Sam if he was given the time and freedom to run the club as he saw fit.