Gartside unsure of Toon size

Newcastle Fan

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside has questioned whether Newcastle are a bigger club than The Trotters.

Newcastle are on the lookout for a new manager following Glenn Roeder's departure and they are being tipped to move for Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce left Bolton last month following a hugely productive eight-year spell in the North West of England.

The 52-year-old's departure was hugely disappointing for Gartside who does not feel a move to Newcastle would be a step up the managerial ladder for Allardyce.

"I think you have to be careful how you define a bigger club," Gartside told The Sun. "Newcastle have under-achieved for some time.

"I agree they have a bigger fan base. But history shows Bolton and Newcastle are similar in some respects.

"It's a long time since we won anything. But I think it's the same for them.

"If you define a club as bigger because they get 50,000 every game, I can't argue with that. But there aren't many alternatives around.

"We have seven Premiership clubs round our necks, one of which, Manchester United, is the biggest in the country, if not the world."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=465836&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Gartside+unsure+of+Toon+size

What a cunt..

Guest nufc_geordie

This comes from the chairman of a club who allows music to be played when goals are scored like you are celebrating a basketball point. The same chairman who rnus a club who can't fill a 30,000 seater stadium, and the same chairman who offers no financial support to his manager.

Good Job mate  O0

We're not a big club though, big fanbase yes, big potential yes, not a big club at the moment. The only advantage we offer over other clubs is our appalling wage structure.

Guest TheOrder

We're not a big club though, big fanbase yes, big potential yes, not a big club at the moment. The only advantage we offer over other clubs is our appalling wage structure.

and our slags on the quayside :)

Can't believe people are getting upset about what Gartside thinks. Pathetic. Go get some perspective. The way some are carrying on in this thread, you'd think he'd raped your dog.

Guest Morph

It showed our head to head cup wins and all time matches in the paper this morning.  I don't need to tell you which club pissed all over the other.

Guest TheOrder

Who are you arguing with? Gartside?

You dont have to point it out to us, we already know. Well most of us.

Guest Morph

It showed our head to head cup wins and all time matches in the paper this morning.  I don't need to tell you which club pissed all over the other.

Link?

Isn't one on the site.

Who are you arguing with? Gartside?

You dont have to point it out to us, we already know. Well most of us.

Not arguing, just reiterating the stupidity of the "big club" wrongness.

in the 50s, we coudl have argued that we were successful. Now, we have a relatively big fanbase (big, one team city), are stupid with money, and have particularly blinkered fans.

Guest graemeh72

Gartside unsure of Toon size

I thought that would be obvious

Fat Fred and Big Sam

extra large please  ;D

Guest Ridzuan

He is probably just jealous because Big Sam is likely to come here and turn us into a club like what he did to Bolton.I think his main intention was to unsettle Big Sam so that he would reconsider joining us,but to be honest,I dont really care what he think of our club.

Guest TheOrder

Somebody has already said, and quoted that.

He is probably just jealous because Big Sam is likely to come here and turn us into a club like what he did to Bolton.I think his main intention was to unsettle Big Sam so that he would reconsider joining us,but to be honest,I dont really care what he think of our club.

I have to agree, I think it is also to do with the fact we are waiting until the end of the season so no compensation is payable to Bolton.

And? Its a reiteration, as discussed. Someone wants to do it, so what.

Hmm...it does appear that Phil Gartside is almost as bitter as I am? :laugh:

PS: Don't go in for all these "big club" pissing contests. To me its just ways for fans of clubs who do fuck all to argue over who is better. Completely pointless. Got totally sick of all this shite talking about a certain other football club who have won nowt in years but still have a big crowd. The term "big club" and derivatives should be stricken from the football vocabulary post-haste IMO. :hmm:

Guest TheOrder

And? Its a reiteration, as discussed. Someone wants to do it, so what.

Almost as dire as 'this' 'that' etc.

Guest optimistic nit

Hmm...it does appear that Phil Gartside is almost as bitter as I am? :laugh:

PS: Don't go in for all these "big club" pissing contests. To me its just ways for fans of clubs who do fuck all to argue over who is better. Completely pointless. Got totally sick of all this shite talking about a certain other football club who have won nowt in years but still have a big crowd. The term "big club" and derivatives should be stricken from the football vocabulary post-haste IMO. :hmm:

just because citiy are a small club :hmm: