"Last English manager to win European trophy"

Optimistic Nut

Why are all the media saying it was Howard Kendall winning the Cup Winners' Cup in 1985? Does Sir Bobby winning the same competition with Barcelona in 1997 not count or something?

Cos Barcelona is in Spain Dufus.

Only joking - Sir Bob not getting credit is wrong and this is part of the FA PR machine with Mclaren which will move into effect for the next 3 months....

I suppose Alex Ferguson has lived in England looooooooooong enough to be considered as an English.

It has nothing about race. Don't forget we had the lengthy European ban due to the Heysel tradegy.

I suppose Alex Ferguson has lived in England looooooooooong enough to be considered as an English.

It has nothing about race. Don't forget we had the lengthy European ban due to the Heysel tradegy.

Not a bad point.

Not bad that even forgetting Robson, the last English manager was born in Ryton. And before McClaren ended the English jinx of no domestic trophy in over a decade, the last domestic cup winner was also a Geordie, Brian Little.

blueyes.gif

Guest Man in Black

Graham Taylor won the Intertoto Cup in 2001, that's a European trophy, as did Harry Redknapp in 1999.

as far as i was aware, you dont actually get a trophy for "winning" the inter toto

Guest kinaldo

didn't george graham win the cup winners' cup with arsenal in the early 90's? they beat parma i think (may have been the uefa cup)

didn't george graham win the cup winners' cup with arsenal in the early 90's? they beat parma i think (may have been the uefa cup)

yep. but i dont think he'll be pleased that you think he's english!

Guest kinaldo

yep. but i dont think he'll be pleased that you think he's english!

oh yeah...i'll go back to sleep now

• 6 months later...

Not bad that even forgetting Robson, the last English manager was born in Ryton. And before McClaren ended the English jinx of no domestic trophy in over a decade, the last domestic cup winner was also a Geordie, Brian Little.

blueyes.gif

So thats where Freddy is coming from....