Alan Oliver

Stevie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've just read one of the Oliver articles today, and it's becoming more and more apparent, that he's abusing his position, by using it as a mouth piece for FFS. 

If you speak to anybody in Newcastle, they will tell you 100 things about Freddie Shepherd, a majority of them bad, yet I can't remember the last anti-FFS article in the Chronicle, it's always promoting the good he's done, surely that's not right?

FFS has done lots of good for the club as well that can't be disregarded, but newspapers, and especially in the Evening Chronicle should remain neutral, and report NEWS, not bollocks that's been dictated by FFS like "one thing is for certain United fans must get behind the new manager 100%."  << that has come direct from Freddie Shepherd, yet Oliver puts his name to it.  "Sources close to the club" that's always FFS, I know that for a fact. 

The Chronicle whether we like it or not is the main media scource in this city, and I honestly feel Oliver should fuck off and cover cricket or something and get someone else who could give a more balanced account of NUFC and FFS.

Not that it will do any good, I'm sending a few points to the editor of the EC (email address below), suggesting it's about time someone else was given the opportunity to report on the toon, and I invite you all to do the same.

[email protected]

Guest Gemmill

You would think Alan Oliver wouldn't be able to look at himself in the mirror - not just for aesthetic reasons, but because he must know that he is just Shepherd's puppet.  The bloke's job is to report facts to the people of Newcastle about what's going on at NUFC, and yet he has sidled up to Shepherd and the pair of them have established a relationship which makes it impossible for Oliver to remain objective in his reporting of NUFC.

It's a disgrace that that's been allowed to happen at all, but even worse is the fact that his bosses at the Chronicle are allowing him to get away with it.  He should have been done away with a LONG time ago.

You would think Alan Oliver wouldn't be able to look at himself in the mirror - not just for aesthetic reasons, but because he must know that he is just Shepherd's puppet.  The bloke's job is to report facts to the people of Newcastle about what's going on at NUFC, and yet he has sidled up to Shepherd and the pair of them have established a relationship which makes it impossible for Oliver to remain objective in his reporting of NUFC.

It's a disgrace that that's been allowed to happen at all, but even worse is the fact that his bosses at the Chronicle are allowing him to get away with it.  He should have been done away with a LONG time ago.

Spot on.  It is a disgrace.  I tell you something though, I bet he reads this poll.  Aye you, ye ugly prick sort it oot!

Guest graemeh72

He's a tinpot twobob local journo

without the talent or balls to make it in London

instead prefering to lord it up in Newcastle

he gives the shite stories to Lee Ryder and then dodges the issue and hides behind anonomity with other articles (i.e. The ones written by "The Evening Chronicle")

If Newcastle were ever taken over and FFS booted out.... Within months Oliver would be out on his arse without a job or anywhere to go.

Cunt

Guest Darth Toon

A decent potential side-effect of Big Sam getting our job is that I can't imagine him giving this twat the time of day - especially if he sees of some of the stuff Oliver has written in the past slagging him off.

Rarely bother reading his "articles" any more because they're just so crammed with cliches and club PR bollocks.

Not that it will do any good, I'm sending a few points to the editor of the EC (email address below), suggesting it's about time someone else was given the opportunity to report on the toon, and I invite you all to do the same.

[email protected]

Is he the bloke who went on that icnewcastle forum and said (paraphrasing here) there was no conflict of interest with Oliver being paid by the club for writing in the match-day programme and writing for the Chron?

Guest johnson293

Yep

[email protected]

Is he the bloke who went on that icnewcastle forum and said (paraphrasing here) there was no conflict of interest with Oliver being paid by the club for writing in the match-day programme and writing for the Chron?

Yep, thats him - in responding to questions posted on that messageboard, he basically brushed off any questioning or criticism of Olivers articles as simply a reporter giving his opinion, just like any fan.

Thats fine, but not every fan claim to be the 'voice of the supporters'!!

Come on Alan.

Come out, come out wherever you are.

No fucker else would vote "No - your doing alright in your role" unless they are either blind or......have the surname Shepherd.

Come on Alan.

Come out, come out wherever you are.

No fucker else would vote "No - your doing alright in your role" unless they are either blind or......have the surname Shepherd.

I'll second that

Can the admins/mods see who voted for what? We need to out this fucker!

I've never know a journalist that puts himself in articles like he does.

Its pathetic.

How on earth his tripe gets past the editor and to print i do not know.

I'm guessing he must have dirty pics of him at the office party screwing his PA or something.

Guest toon tone rudeboy

I've never know a journalist that puts himself in articles like he does.

I have thought that for a quite a while now... it just isn't professional.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/oct2006/8/5/757007ED-D629-5A34-8348FBCAF7188334.jpg

His little titbits on a Saturday are the most cringeworthy, slagging Boro's gates etc... you know his section (usualy three little pieces on a Saturday).  He likes to bring it to people's attention that he's quite well known in football circles.  "Was at the awards ceremony the other night, and who should I bump in to but only my old mate Pele, he downed 2 pints in 30 seconds, he's still the same 25 years after the first time we met!"

I can see the back page snippet in para 8, line 5 tomorrow night.................

"and, with my popularity on Tyneside soaring after a Newcastle-Online website poll, its' clear that, like Glenn Roeder was, I am the fans choice for this position with a whopping 1.9% of the vote".

Alan Oliver is on the SJP payroll - ABSOLUTE FACT.

Yet his emloyers at The Chronic allow him to be the main reporter on all things B&W. The Editor of the Chronic even said that it is none of his business if Oliver is being paid by NUFC.

It's a disgrace.

edit.

Paul Robertson said/wrote;

Alan’s programme notes do nothing other than chronicle the exploits of people in the media who cover Newcastle United.

As the main NUFC writer it is hardly surprising he has profile in the club programme but it in no way conflicts with his job of covering the club.

We advertise in the club programme and Alan’s contribution is to maintain our profile without commenting on club affairs.

Whether he is paid or not is his business.

Guest johnson293

How old is oliver?

In fact how long before he pops his clogs or retires?

Doesn't matter when he retires - the new Alan Oliver is already working alongside him ready to take over.... Lee Ryder.

His reporting is just as spineless. No doubt he will take over the matchday programme column as well!!

Anyone else think one of the editors or other highly placed people at The Chronicle have had a word with him in past few weeks? He Just seems to have backed down slightly from some of his own thoughts in recently I've noticed.

The Shepherd/Oliver situation is just another example of something that makes our club a joke - it's just as well more people don't know about the goings on nationally.

Do any other clubs have these journalist parasites?

Guest Strunz

Finally registered - 1st post

It clearly damages what little integrity the Chronicle has to have such poor writing.  

When you rely on the national press (when it can be bothered) to provide a decent critique of life at SJP, you know you're in trouble.

I'm hoping for the Observer's excellent Said and Done section to let people know just how badly run our club is.