I can't really think of another club that will make a challenge on the top 4.

Parky

Let's take stock of where we are.  :lol:  (Won't hurt I promise).

We have have had some very dissapointing recent seasons and at times the club has been in total dissarray regarding directon on and off the pitch....But here we are, even at our worse we are only 3/4 wins away from clubs that have apparently made huge strides, the likes of Spurs and Bolton (who have been in or made a serious push for top 4). I don't really count Everton as imo they are pretty much at full capacity regarding potential and they will continue with good and badish seasons.

Aston Villa are gathering steam and we will get an idea of how serious they are after the summer spend (expect £20/25m). Lucky for us I think MON is a good manager, but not a visionary manager (he is not as good as Big Sam) and light years away from the top 4. This aside I beleive they will be much stronger next year and will be next years Bolton (who will start to decline).

We have a good set up regarding training ground and stadium expansion and guaranteed fanatical support. And once things have settled down we can outspend most. Once new management and new coaching  is in place and the required players come in, it can only really be between us and Spurs (Villa will need 2 yrs IMO) to push for 4th. I also suspect Arsenal have begun a small decline, but for the last few games Bolton nearly made it even with a terrible end of season run. Spurs missed it last year by a whisker and a dodgy Lasagne. :lol:

So cheer up you bastards and add some positive ideas and feelings to this board. :D

What do think our strengths are?

Personally I don't see next season as one to get into the top 4.

Both ourselves nd Spurs (and Villa even perhaps) need to build a team and squad that comfortably reaches top 6 and is not a double figures gap from the top 4.

The season after next could be interesting though as I expect Wenger to leave Arsenal next summer and they may struggle for a year or two when his replacement comes in.

Thats the window of opportunity for me, and one that somebody will take advantage of. The next question is then can they consolidate it or do an Everton?

We have have had some very dissapointing recent seasons and at times the club has been in total dissarray regarding directon on and off the pitch....But here we are, even at our worse we are only 3/4 wins away from clubs that have apparently made huge strides, the likes of Spurs and Bolton (who have been in or made a serious push for top 4). I don't really count Everton as imo they are pretty much at full capacity regarding potential and they will continue with good and badish seasons.

Aston Villa are gathering steam and we will get an idea of how serious they are after the summer spend (expect £20/25m). Lucky for us I think MON is a good manager, but not a visionary manager (he is not as good as Big Sam) and light years away from the top 4. This aside I beleive they will be much stronger next year and will be next years Bolton (who will start to decline).

We have a good set up regarding training ground and stadium expansion and guaranteed fanatical support. And once things have settled down we can outspend most. Once new management and new coaching  is in place and the required players come in, it can only really be between us and Spurs (Villa will need 2 yrs IMO) to push for 4th. I also suspect Arsenal have begun a small decline, but for the last few games Bolton nearly made it even with a terrible end of season run. Spurs missed it last year by a whisker and a dodgy Lasagne. :lol:

So cheer up you bastards and add some positive ideas and feelings to this board. :D

aye, not dreary enough by far, as you say in your next post parky.

Fact is, the clubs with the best managers - and the backing of their boards - will be the top 4, it changes and will change again. There's no reason whatsoever why we can't appoint a good manager and Arsenal, ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool fcuk up with their next ones [although the spending power of ManU and Chelsea is a different kettle of fish in the long term]

Guest kingdawson

I think O'Neil is twice the manager Allardyce is tbh.

aye, not dreary enough by far, as you say in your next post parky.

Fact is, the clubs with the best managers - and the backing of their boards - will be the top 4, it changes and will change again. There's no reason whatsoever why we can't appoint a good manager and Arsenal, ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool fcuk up with their next ones [although the spending power of ManU and Chelsea is a different kettle of fish in the long term]

Totally agree and it mystifyies me how people don't see that. Football goes in cycles and for various factors sides decline or improve, all you can really do is guard against violent changes of fortune with a diligent approach. The top 4 don't have a god given right to stay there and they won't.

Yeah, well we definitely have something to build on.

I'm worried about our spending power, however. There doesn't seem to be much in the coffers and the first batch of new Premiership money may just disappear to deal with debt. And then we're competing with various clubs with renewed investment – Villa, maybe Man City, maybe Sunderland, Portsmouth etc. If not handled carefully we could fall further behind in the next couple of seasons. We'll see. I'm curious to see how much we spend this summer.

I don't expect immediate fireworks from Allardyce, if that's who we're going to get, and I hope no one else does either, but I do think he's capable of building things – both solidifying the squad and introducing some much-needed fresh thinking in various areas of the club. So if he's properly backed, there are grounds for cautious optimism -- but I was worried by one story I read today, which implied that Shepherd was arguing with Allardyce over the number of staff he wants.

We need to take a deep breath, start passing the ball around a bit at the back, get comfortable in possession, and then try to build a move over the next two or three seasons.

I agree. And i also think Jenas is twice the player Kaka is...

I think O'Neill is three times the manager Martin Jol is TBH.

Cobblers he's not even better than Jol.  :lol: ;)

Top four won't change next season, maybe the order they finish in but the clubs will be the same. I expect Arsenal to take the league by storm next season once Hnery is back.

Top four won't change next season, maybe the order they finish in but the clubs will be the same. I expect Arsenal to take the league by storm next season once Hnery is back.

Crystal ball? :cheesy:

Come on Skirge what are our positives?

Crystal ball? :cheesy:

Na my balls are flesh :D

At the moment, I would say the Spurs have the best shot of breaking the top four. They'll also be looking for defenders in the summer, and if they get them, they'll have a shot. Truthfully, I think we have a long way to go to get into the Champion's League. If we can get a 6th-7th place finish next year, I will consider that a huge success; then go from there.

At the moment, I would say the Spurs have the best shot of breaking the top four. They'll also be looking for defenders in the summer, and if they get them, they'll have a shot. Truthfully, I think we have a long way to go to get into the Champion's League. If we can get a 6th-7th place finish next year, I will consider that a huge success; then go from there.

We got to 7th under Roeder with a totally demoralised side in danger of relegation. There is no reason we can't challenge for top 4 next year.

Agreed Spurs in all reality are our nearest competition for top 4 challenge next year.

We got to 7th under Roeder with a totally demoralised side in danger of relegation. There is no reason we can't challenge for top 4 next year.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I was just assuming that we're going to have a couple years of rebuilding ahead of us.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I was just assuming that we're going to have a couple years of rebuilding ahead of us.

All this stuff about re-building is oft regurgitated on here and yes it has its place....Tell me how much rebuilding had Pompey done when they were 4th in the first 1/3 of the season? None.

I think Henry is past his prime. Van Persie has alot more to come though.

Liverpool have a pretty decent squad imo. Could improve alot with the CL money from this year.

Man U & Chelsea are miles away.

We could be in with a shout for the top 6 but it does depend on who the manager is and if he's allowed to do it his own way. Big variables tbh.

Given

Taylor

Butt

Milner

N'Zogbia (Souness form)

Martins

They're the only players who are worth a toss out of our squad.

Lot of work to be done for the new guy.

I think Henry is past his prime. Van Persie has alot more to come though.

Liverpool have a pretty decent squad imo. Could improve alot with the CL money from this year.

Man U & Chelsea are miles away.

We could be in with a shout for the top 6 but it does depend on who the manager is and if he's allowed to do it his own way. Big variables tbh.

Given

Taylor

Butt

Milner

N'Zogbia (Souness form)

Martins

They're the only players who are worth a toss out of our squad.

Lot of work to be done for the new guy.

We beat top four sides this year with the blind leading the blind.

Is there anybody on this board that can take some postives for us? :footy:

We beat top four sides this year with the blind leading the blind.

We beat Liverpool, drew some and got generally raped in the other games.  Its a myth we done well against the top 4.