I can't really think of another club that will make a challenge on the top 4.

Parky

Guest graemeh72

I think Villa are now the 5th best team over the last decade. Can anyone confirm this? :lol:

I've just done the calculations, and can confirm that if positions stay the same, we are now JOINT with Villa for the prestigious accolade of 5th best club over the last decade.  Should Villa's position improve or ours worsten on the last day of the season, then I'm sorry to have to report that Villa will take on this important mantle, and NE5 will have to revise his copy and paste posts to reflect this change.

Ours and Villa's average position over the last 10 seasons is 9.4.  Something to be proud of, I'm sure you'll agree.  On average we finish outside of the European spots, and barely in the top 10. 

How's that for positive, Parky? :razz:

You can do better. blueyes.gif

Please can we use the all time Prem League stats

http://www.nufc.com/2006-07html/prem-all-time.html

even taking this season into account we're 5th and with a far better goal diff

Guest LUKASJJ

Tbh i cant see ne1 challenging the top four, definetly not next season. I think the following season us,spurs and possibly everton and villa cud be there. I would say though that i can see Arsenal falling soon tho!

Guest graemeh72

Tbh i cant see ne1 challenging the top four, definetly not next season. I think the following season us,spurs and possibly everton and villa cud be there. I would say though that i can see Arsenal falling soon tho!

If Stevie G did his cruciates or broke a leg then Liverpool would be fucked

Honestly that club never has serious injuries ...

then again no club can rival us on the injury front

I think Villa are now the 5th best team over the last decade. Can anyone confirm this? :lol:

I've just done the calculations, and can confirm that if positions stay the same, we are now JOINT with Villa for the prestigious accolade of 5th best club over the last decade.  Should Villa's position improve or ours worsten on the last day of the season, then I'm sorry to have to report that Villa will take on this important mantle, and NE5 will have to revise his copy and paste posts to reflect this change.

Ours and Villa's average position over the last 10 seasons is 9.4.  Something to be proud of, I'm sure you'll agree.  On average we finish outside of the European spots, and barely in the top 10. 

8)

I guess Leeds United must be fighting for a spot in the UEFA Cup, by those standards.

If Stevie G did his cruciates or broke a leg then Liverpool would be f*****

Honestly that club never has serious injuries ...

then again no club can rival us on the injury front

Cisse got off pretty lightly then did he?

Few clubs have had the injury nightmares we have had, but then few clubs have been run as shoddy as ours.

I don't really count Everton as imo they are pretty much at full capacity regarding potential and they will continue with good and badish seasons.

Any logic behind that or just taking a wild guess?

I don't really count Everton as imo they are pretty much at full capacity regarding potential and they will continue with good and badish seasons.

If it's wrong tell us why.

If it's wrong tell us why.

You said it, so the burden of proof is surely on you to prove it, not him to disprove it.

*adjusts wig, fiddles with gavel*

I like Everton for some reason, well, they just don't bother me as much as some clubs. I do think they'll always be known as "The Other Club" in Liverpool.  Which is a shame because I fuckin' hate Liverpool FC with a passion.  Similar to Citeh, I suppose.  Sorry Dr. Spectrum (I don't mind Citeh, either).

At the moment, I would say the Spurs have the best shot of breaking the top four. They'll also be looking for defenders in the summer, and if they get them, they'll have a shot. Truthfully, I think we have a long way to go to get into the Champion's League. If we can get a 6th-7th place finish next year, I will consider that a huge success; then go from there.

We got to 7th under Roeder with a totally demoralised side in danger of relegation. There is no reason we can't challenge for top 4 next year.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I was just assuming that we're going to have a couple years of rebuilding ahead of us.

All this stuff about re-building is oft regurgitated on here and yes it has its place....Tell me how much rebuilding had Pompey done when they were 4th in the first 1/3 of the season? None.

That means nothing, tbh. We were 3rd at one point and hovered around places 3-6 for a while, it means nish. The only thing that matters is the place at the end of the season.

FWIW, the top four are light years ahead of the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Everton. Spurs are closest to catching up, but i reckon it is going to take one of the top four to actively screw up and drop out as much as it is about another team stepping up.

I honestly don't see the cause for thinking Newcastle are the best placed to challenge, seems like boundless optimism to me. Certainly compared to, say, Spurs (much as i dislike the idea of bigging up Spurs), when you're on course for a bottom half of the table finish.

....and what would happen if Ronaldo or Henry or Drogba we're missing all next season?

Ring any bells?

If my granny pissed through a cock, she'd be my grandad.

And even if you'd had Owen all season, you'd have had that shite defence still.

We had to borrow a tracksuit bottomed Eastern European mentalist from Crystal Palace as we didn't have a proper goalkeeper for a chunk of this season. What if we'd had a proper goalkeeper?

If this, if that, it counts for nowt at the end of the season.

I do like a bit of optimism though so I'll bet you 50 of your English pounds that Villa finish above Newcastle again next season.

At the moment, I would say the Spurs have the best shot of breaking the top four. They'll also be looking for defenders in the summer, and if they get them, they'll have a shot. Truthfully, I think we have a long way to go to get into the Champion's League. If we can get a 6th-7th place finish next year, I will consider that a huge success; then go from there.

We got to 7th under Roeder with a totally demoralised side in danger of relegation. There is no reason we can't challenge for top 4 next year.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I was just assuming that we're going to have a couple years of rebuilding ahead of us.

All this stuff about re-building is oft regurgitated on here and yes it has its place....Tell me how much rebuilding had Pompey done when they were 4th in the first 1/3 of the season? None.

That means nothing, tbh. We were 3rd at one point and hovered around places 3-6 for a while, it means nish. The only thing that matters is the place at the end of the season.

FWIW, the top four are light years ahead of the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Everton. Spurs are closest to catching up, but i reckon it is going to take one of the top four to actively screw up and drop out as much as it is about another team stepping up.

I honestly don't see the cause for thinking Newcastle are the best placed to challenge, seems like boundless optimism to me. Certainly compared to, say, Spurs (much as i dislike the idea of bigging up Spurs), when you're on course for a bottom half of the table finish.

....and what would happen if Ronaldo or Henry or Drogba we're missing all next season?

Ring any bells?

If my granny pissed through a cock, she'd be my grandad.

And even if you'd had Owen all season, you'd have had that s**** defence still.

We had to borrow a tracksuit bottomed Eastern European mentalist from Crystal Palace as we didn't have a proper goalkeeper for a chunk of this season. What if we'd had a proper goalkeeper?

If this, if that, it counts for nowt at the end of the season.

I do like a bit of optimism though so I'll bet you 50 of your English pounds that Villa finish above Newcastle again next season.

Can we wait for a few things to happen before I take that bet? 

edit for the bit in bold:  That would make her a Shemale. 

The bet is only for Parky. I'm trying to test his optimism. No matter who you appoint (and we knew this would be the case, and were proved right, when we appointed God's man on earth last summer), next season will be about getting the club in the shape he wants it, and consolidation.

It'll take time. Possibly forever if he doesn't make shipping out garbage like Bramble, Ramage and Carr, shirking piss takers like Dyer and Duff, and underachievers like Emre and Parker his first priority.

The bet is only for Parky. I'm trying to test his optimism. No matter who you appoint (and we knew this would be the case, and were proved right, when we appointed God's man on earth last summer), next season will be about getting the club in the shape he wants it, and consolidation.

It'll take time. Possibly forever if he doesn't make shipping out garbage like Bramble, Ramage and Carr, shirking piss takers like Dyer and Duff, and underachievers like Emre and Parker his first priority.

Ok £50 it is.  :banana: :banana2: :banana: :banana2:

OK, you're on.  The Bonk shall be our witness.

My word is my bond sweetie. Should be fun. :thup:

Paypal, cheque or cash is fine, in case you were wondering.

Paypal, cheque or cash is fine, in case you were wondering.

I'd rather wire it from the expense account.  :D

I'll act as witness, shall you two send post dated checks for this time next year my way?  Then I'll distribute the winnings to the appropriate party?

Cheques only valid for 6 months, innit. I trust Parky's word.

EDIT oh, hang on, post dated. I should read threads properly.

Nah, i'll accept his word of honour.

I'll act as witness, shall you two send post dated checks for this time next year my way?  Then I'll distribute the winnings to the appropriate party?

O0

*Within days of the start of the season MON gets hit by a car and the rich owner has a heart attack.* :lol:

O0

*Within days of the start of the season MON gets hit by a car and the rich owner has a heart attack.* :lol:

*Shortly after, Souness spotted at VP*