I can't really think of another club that will make a challenge on the top 4.

Parky

I'll act as witness, shall you two send post dated checks for this time next year my way?  Then I'll distribute the winnings to the appropriate party?

Cheques only valid for 6 months, innit. I trust Parky's word.

EDIT oh, hang on, post dated. I should read threads properly.

Nah, i'll accept his word of honour.

O0

*Within days of the start of the season MON gets hit by a car and the rich owner has a heart attack.* :lol:

*Shortly after, Souness spotted at VP*

mackems.gif

*With Boumsong* :lol:

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Especially Arsenal finishing 1st.They will be lucky to be in the top 4 next season.Remember my word.

It will be something like this:

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

If you think we'll finish under Everton and Spurs with Big Sam you are off your head. :)

I think he's right, they will.

We will NOT get into the top 4 next season, or the one after, or the one after.

Guest Knightrider

Getting into the top 4 isn't the issue, it is staying there and I see no-one outside of the current top 4 dislodging one or more of those clubs consistently. I think there is however room for a top 5 and maybe even a top 6, but the Arsenals, Man Utds, Liverpools and Chelseas (sheer wealth) will always be the top 4 clubs in this country and the ones that compete for all the top prizes, the rest feeding on scraps (UEFA Cup places) and the odd Cup.

Regarding Newcastle United, we have the resources and potential but it is going to take years for this club to be turned around from the shambles it is at current and even a good manager may well not be able to achieve that if those behind the scenes continue to run things in the reckless manner they have done. In short any success that does come our way will be shortlived (SBR).

I

Let's take stock of where we are.  :lol:  (Won't hurt I promise).

We have have had some very dissapointing recent seasons and at times the club has been in total dissarray regarding directon on and off the pitch....But here we are, even at our worse we are only 3/4 wins away from clubs that have apparently made huge strides, the likes of Spurs and Bolton (who have been in or made a serious push for top 4). I don't really count Everton as imo they are pretty much at full capacity regarding potential and they will continue with good and badish seasons.

Aston Villa are gathering steam and we will get an idea of how serious they are after the summer spend (expect £20/25m). Lucky for us I think MON is a good manager, but not a visionary manager (he is not as good as Big Sam) and light years away from the top 4. This aside I beleive they will be much stronger next year and will be next years Bolton (who will start to decline).

We have a good set up regarding training ground and stadium expansion and guaranteed fanatical support. And once things have settled down we can outspend most. Once new management and new coaching  is in place and the required players come in, it can only really be between us and Spurs (Villa will need 2 yrs IMO) to push for 4th. I also suspect Arsenal have begun a small decline, but for the last few games Bolton nearly made it even with a terrible end of season run. Spurs missed it last year by a whisker and a dodgy Lasagne. :lol:

So cheer up you bastards and add some positive ideas and feelings to this board. :D

What do think our strengths are?

I agree actualy.  We're so erratic.  We could well end up around the relegation zone, but i also wouldnt be totally surprised to see us just outside the top 4 with Allardyce.  We're weird.

Getting into the top 4 isn't the issue, it is staying there and I see no-one outside of the current top 4 dislodging one or more of those clubs consistently. I think there is however room for a top 5 and maybe even a top 6, but the Arsenals, Man Utds, Liverpools and Chelseas (sheer wealth) will always be the top 4 clubs in this country and the ones that compete for all the top prizes, the rest feeding on scraps (UEFA Cup places) and the odd Cup.

Regarding Newcastle United, we have the resources and potential but it is going to take years for this club to be turned around from the shambles it is at current and even a good manager may well not be able to achieve that if those behind the scenes continue to run things in the reckless manner they have done. In short any success that does come our way will be shortlived (SBR).

a good manager will achieve it without a shadow of a doubt.

He will do it because he will have the backing of the board.

A good manager with a shite board would have no chance whatsoever of doing it, but this board will back their manager.

Wont happen 100% sure.

Especially Arsenal finishing 1st.They will be lucky to be in the top 4 next season.Remember my word.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

If you think we'll finish under Everton and Spurs with Big Sam you are off your head. :)

Where we finish with regard to Everton and Spurs next season will not be relevant to the top 4!

ps I bet you thought the same thing about us breaking into the top 4 shortly before Bobby took over. I know I did. There's no way of predicting the future in football that accurately - we probably won't make it there, but it's a bit much to [seemingly] state it as fact that we won't.

Top 4 is unlikely for ANY Club outside it already(in the foreseeable future, which is not very long in Football..!)

However, I think it is possible for NUFC to make top 7 under the right manager NEXT season.

DON'T think they will finish higher than Spurs or Villa - both those clubs have more stability that NUFC, and I remain convinced that O'Neill will produce  a much better side next season.

Whether its Allardyce or anyone else, there is masses of work to do at SJP - the Bookies' odds on Relegation for the club(8/1)tell you that, and it will take the new boss a couple of years to put right even half of the damage Souness & Roeder have left(courtesy of the Chairman).

In addition, I will be surprised if we even have the 25m that the Mackems are reputedly giving Keane to spend, so getting the players the new guy will want will not be easy.

Its now the time that the Piper has to be paid, and unfortunately, it will be the fans picking up the tab...

Wont happen 100% sure.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

Where we finish with regard to Everton and Spurs next season will not be relevant to the top 4!

ps I bet you thought the same thing about us breaking into the top 4 shortly before Bobby took over. I know I did. There's no way of predicting the future in football that accurately - we probably won't make it there, but it's a bit much to [seemingly] state it as fact that we won't.

Its a statement of fact as I see it, the same as anyone else's opinion is.

You're right, there is no way of accurately predicting the future in anything, really, but IN MY OPINION, we will be nowhere near the top 4 next season (and after one game, if we beat some shite and end up top, that clearly doesn't count).  I don't see why that is such a difficult opinion to acdept someone can have,

I think Villa are now the 5th best team over the last decade. Can anyone confirm this? :lol:

I suggest you add up the figures and positions again.

Or get your accountant chum to do it for you ? You know, the bloke who said that Souness should be backed to the hilt even though he was told that the actions of booting out Bellamy and Robert and throwing money at replacements would have serious consequences for the club.

I like Everton for some reason, well, they just don't bother me as much as some clubs. I do think they'll always be known as "The Other Club" in Liverpool.  Which is a shame because I fuckin' hate Liverpool FC with a passion.  Similar to Citeh, I suppose.  Sorry Dr. Spectrum (I don't mind Citeh, either).

One club in Manchester Mr Bonk. One club in Manchester. :parky:

Wont happen 100% sure.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

Its a statement of fact as I see it, the same as anyone else's opinion is.

You're right, there is no way of accurately predicting the future in anything, really, but IN MY OPINION, we will be nowhere near the top 4 next season (and after one game, if we beat some shite and end up top, that clearly doesn't count).  I don't see why that is such a difficult opinion to acdept someone can have,

new manager mate, new standards etc etc ..... Ameobi will become a vastly different player or he'll be finished , as will Dyer, as will Bramble. That will please you ? It will me too.

Allardyce won't stand for slaphappy performances, and he'll make a better attempt at managing them as well before getting rid of them.

I agree. He'll be a much better person to sort these players out (I'd include Luque in that as well) or he'll ship them out. He's got a strong enough personality to do it imo, and has shown he is adept at getting the best out of players.

I agree. He'll be a much better person to sort these players out (I'd include Luque in that as well) or he'll ship them out. He's got a strong enough personality to do it imo, and has shown he is adept at getting the best out of players.

which is what a manager should be good at, and why he's the man for the job here at Newcastle.

which is what a manager should be good at, and why he's the man for the job here at Newcastle.

blueyes.gif

I think Villa are now the 5th best team over the last decade. Can anyone confirm this? :lol:

Or get your accountant chum to do it for you ? You know, the bloke who said that Souness should be backed to the hilt even though he was told that the actions of booting out Bellamy and Robert and throwing money at replacements would have serious consequences for the club.

If we stay where we are now after today we have an average league position of 9.4, I hope this helps.

If we stay where we are now after today we have an average league position of 9.4, I hope this helps.

Villa have to finish 5 places higher than us to have a higher average position.

Hope this helps.

The 4 clubs with higher average positions are still the only 4 clubs to have qualified for europe more too.

Go back to 1992, when the current board took over, and we are even further ahead. So whats your point ?

Still, 6th isn't so bad. Vastly superior to the years we spent in the old 2nd division, selling our best players with a board who are in your opinion "just the same". We only finished in the top 6 once in nearly 50 years with that board, who are "just the same"

Trolling aside, if anyone here actually believes we will finish in the top 4 next year I'm sure there are lots of lovely people on betfair who would be very happy to meet you.

Trolling aside, if anyone here actually believes we will finish in the top 4 next year I'm sure there are lots of lovely people on betfair who would be very happy to meet you.

indeed, but is anyone saying we will ? [i can't be arsed to look through it again ]

Guest makemeacupoftea

a good manager will achieve it without a shadow of a doubt.

He will do it because he will have the backing of the board.

A good manager with a shite board would have no chance whatsoever of doing it, but this board will back their manager.

spot on, as long as we back Allardyce, which shepherd will, i think we can become a top 5 club

• 1 year later...
Guest shearer_united

With more money to spend, i can't see why not Everton can't penetrate the "top 4"

Guest Knightrider

With more money to spend, i can't see why not Everton can't penetrate the "top 4"

They and any other team well run and with a good manager and core players can break into it, providing one of the top 4 has an off season, but to stay there is almost impossible, even (and I say this reluctantly), for a club like Newcastle which has several advantages over an Everton.

Guest shearer_united

They and any other team well run and with a good manager and core players can break into it, providing one of the top 4 has an off season, but to stay there is almost impossible, even (and I say this reluctantly), for a club like Newcastle which has several advantages over an Everton.

I agree, it will be hard for a new club to remain in the top 4, taking another club's place.

Guest ObaStar

how many negatives do u have in this sentence... what are u saying?