Young players you loved who turned out to be utter sh*t

Guest posadageordie

Ian Bogie (Next Gazza)

Chris Holland (One night @ Ikon)

Paul Stephenson

Paul Bryson

I thought Stephenson was a cracking player to start with, could dribble, cross and beat his man. Went on to do a canny job at Hartlepool mind, but didn't fulfill his promise.

Agreed - Stephenson WOULD have been a great winger, but he got a bad ankle injury from a tackle by Dorigo when we played Villa in Spring 86 - he had already made his mark with a fine debut at Liverpool, with even Bob Paisley drooling over his talent - speed, dribbling skills, eye for goal and a good crosser of the ball. A crying shame that he never recovered from that injury(bit like Kewell really).

Was 18 when he made his debut in 85, so could still have been playing in KKs team in 95.

Geoff Allen was another - late developer who was that rarity, a great Left winger.Took Van Der Hyde(Feyenoord's Right Back) to the cleaners in our first Fairs Cup game at SJP, and we won 4-0.

Suffered Cruciate Ligament injury at Notts Forest(again, a bad tackle, this time by Hindley), and in those days, that was curtains..

Would probably have played for England.

How about young players you didn't rate but have turned out to be pretty good?

Joe Cole - at West Ham, thought he'd always just be a show-pony.

Michael Carrick - at West Ham he didn't seem to have much at all. I also thought Cole was a show-pony and Carrick was just pony.

• 1 year later...
Guest Heneage

My dad was friends with a lad who he said could have played for England had he not been so lazy, was on our books and everything.

Guest Heneage

My dad was friends with a lad who he said could have played for England had he not been so lazy, was on our books and everything.

Shola? ;)

Why yes, yes it was. :p

Marc Walton was always highly regarded.