Premiership Referees: Who's the Biggest Tosser?

Guest Geordiesned

I forgot another absolute c***.  BRIAN CODDINGTON, SHEFFIELD.  All those who were at the Baseball Ground 1992 know why.

3 sent off iirc?  :rant:

Aye Midds, and Terry Mac sent to the stand.   We hand on heart were the better team when we had 9 men, we were 2-0 doon and came back to 2-1 with 9 and looked like we could get a draw, then he sent O'Brien off, c***.  I've got his address off www.b4usearch.com think he might have a fragrant christmas card with a Newcastle postmark on it this year.

Hell hath no fury like a West-End lad scorned!  :lol:

You know it hehehe.   Tell you what though, that day was comfortably my proudest as a toon fan.  Pisses me off when people slag our support in the early 90's because our fans that were there were fucking great.   That season, and we were absolute and utter shite, we'd regularly take 4 and 5,000 away, arguably the best away support in the country alongside Leeds and Man Utd at the time, only difference was they were at the top of the first and we were at the bottom of the second.   I remember being at Southend NYD and we must've had nearly 2,000 fans there on NYD, bottom of the league, every cunt with hangovers, 12 lunchtime kick off, to see us lose 4-0.

Anyway best referees I can remember were Roger Milford (RIP) and George Courtney, who despite being from Durham refereed the two play off games between Sunderland and The Toon, and did very well.

Roger Milford was the best i've seen,when did he die,Stevie?

Mike Riley for me,when he wouldnt give us that pen for the Howeard assault on Shearer at Old Trafford,i felt then and now he'd been slipped a few quid,biggest stick on pen ive seen.

That was Paul Durkin.  A great referee who's much missed.  Despite that decision which he came out on TV and admitted he'd got wrong, which was very good of him IMO.  Disallowed a Man Utd goal for nothing in the 2nd half aswell.

IIRC Bennett is FA Cup final ref too!

He is indeed.

Come on Paul, give your opinion. I'm sure you've said as much before but I can't remember who you named.

If you insist.  I'm not a big Uriah fan either, don't think anybody is.  Poll gets a lot of unfair stick, he's not as bad as most claim (in spite of a certain World Cup incident).  Riley, Styles and Bennett are 3 I'm not massive fans of.  The arrogance they all have is a feature I think you perhaps need to have at the top level.

Webb, Clattenburg and Atkinson, the stars of the future per se, are my favourites, as they just get on with the job with minimal fuss, and are bloody good with it.

Mike Riley for me,when he wouldnt give us that pen for the Howeard assault on Shearer at Old Trafford,i felt then and now he'd been slipped a few quid,biggest stick on pen ive seen.

That was Paul Durkin.  A great referee who's much missed.  Despite that decision which he came out on TV and admitted he'd got wrong, which was very good of him IMO.  Disallowed a Man Utd goal for nothing in the 2nd half aswell.

IIRC Bennett is FA Cup final ref too!

He is indeed.

Come on Paul, give your opinion. I'm sure you've said as much before but I can't remember who you named.

If you insist.  I'm not a big Uriah fan either, don't think anybody is.  Poll gets a lot of unfair stick, he's not as bad as most claim (in spite of a certain World Cup incident).  Riley, Styles and Bennett are 3 I'm not massive fans of.  The arrogance they all have is a feature I think you perhaps need to have at the top level.

Webb, Clattenburg and Atkinson, the stars of the future per se, are my favourites, as they just get on with the job with minimal fuss, and are bloody good with it.

Yeah you are right mate,ginger bloke as i recall now.What did Riley do to us then?

I forgot another absolute c***.  BRIAN CODDINGTON, SHEFFIELD.  All those who were at the Baseball Ground 1992 know why.

Aye Midds, and Terry Mac sent to the stand.   We hand on heart were the better team when we had 9 men, we were 2-0 doon and came back to 2-1 with 9 and looked like we could get a draw, then he sent O'Brien off, c***.  I've got his address off www.b4usearch.com think he might have a fragrant christmas card with a Newcastle postmark on it this year.

You know it hehehe.   Tell you what though, that day was comfortably my proudest as a toon fan.  Pisses me off when people slag our support in the early 90's because our fans that were there were f****** great.   That season, and we were absolute and utter s****, we'd regularly take 4 and 5,000 away, arguably the best away support in the country alongside Leeds and Man Utd at the time, only difference was they were at the top of the first and we were at the bottom of the second.   I remember being at Southend NYD and we must've had nearly 2,000 fans there on NYD, bottom of the league, every c*** with hangovers, 12 lunchtime kick off, to see us lose 4-0.

Anyway best referees I can remember were Roger Milford (RIP) and George Courtney, who despite being from Durham refereed the two play off games between Sunderland and The Toon, and did very well.

I've got in my head he died, but I don't know when it was or how he died.  If he's alive I apologise, but I'm sure he's dead.

Aye Midds, and Terry Mac sent to the stand.  We hand on heart were the better team when we had 9 men, we were 2-0 doon and came back to 2-1 with 9 and looked like we could get a draw, then he sent O'Brien off, c***.  I've got his address off www.b4usearch.com think he might have a fragrant christmas card with a Newcastle postmark on it this year.

You know it hehehe.  Tell you what though, that day was comfortably my proudest as a toon fan.  Pisses me off when people slag our support in the early 90's because our fans that were there were f****** great.  That season, and we were absolute and utter s****, we'd regularly take 4 and 5,000 away, arguably the best away support in the country alongside Leeds and Man Utd at the time, only difference was they were at the top of the first and we were at the bottom of the second.  I remember being at Southend NYD and we must've had nearly 2,000 fans there on NYD, bottom of the league, every c*** with hangovers, 12 lunchtime kick off, to see us lose 4-0.

I've got in my head he died, but I don't know when it was or how he died.  If he's alive I apologise, but I'm sure he's dead.

Not sure, Stevie.  I know Gerald Ashby died of a heart attack a few years ago, but not sure about Roger Milford.

Heres some shite refs-Paul Danson

Jeff Winter

Clive Thomas

Rob Styles

Anders Frisk

Kiom Milton Nielsen

Lester Shapter

But rate or rated Roger Milford

Mark Clattenburg

Dermot Gallagher

Jack Taylor

and who remembers Roger Kirkpatrick.

To be quite frank with all you Newcastle Onliners, I genuinely think Mike Riley is the biggest c*** referee that has ever lived, not just as a referee, as a bloke as well he's c***.  That sending off of Robert against Arsenal the arsehole, spoiled the game and was completely unnecessary, there are many, many other examples of his utter foolishness and bastardisation of the laws of the game, particularly where the toon are involved.

A'ye and he looks like a sickly boy from victorian times! Big nosed cunt

We'll see if its true or not.  I feel quite sorry for the guy, the stick and abuse he gets is untoward, so I wouldn't blame him if he did hang up the whistle.

99.99% he brings upon himself.

I'm of the opinion that most of the stick referees get is unwarranted...most get continually slated by anyone and everyone but I'm of the opinion that they are hindered by the masses of spineless, incompetent linesmen we seem to have in this country.

However, Mike Riley and Rob Styles are both tossers of the highest order.

I think he's by and large a good ref, the abuse he gets is magnified by the fact he is the only ref I can think of, who has a song of abuse sung purely for him.  In this respect he's just unlucky POLL rhymes with ARSEHOLE.

George Courtney is a fantastic bloke, he's still refereeing now for free on Sunday league games just because he loves the game!

That'll be nothing to do with him getting you into the derby for nowt last year then? ;)

Seriously, great that he's still doing it at what must be about bus pass age.

I hated Trelford Mills, does anybody remember Michael Peck?  These are probably the two worst Ref's I've ever seen at St James, I'd find it hard to split the two for which was worse.