Sanchez named as Fulham boss

Lagerstedt

Lawrie Sanchez has resigned as Northern Ireland manager to take over at Fulham.

The 47-year-old has been handed an "indefinite, rolling contract" after steering Fulham to Premiership safety following a spell as caretaker boss.

He said: "Obviously it is disappointing to not be taking Northern Ireland to the European Championships.

"But having discussed this at length with the chairman and the board, I understand the importance of focusing solely on the task ahead."

Sanchez took over from Chris Coleman for the last five games of the season, and it was initially thought he may combine managerial roles with Fulham and Northern Ireland.

But Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed wanted Sanchez to concentrate on matters at Craven Cottage.

He added: "During my last month or so at Fulham I became increasingly enthused by working daily with players on the training pitch, and the satisfaction that I felt at seeing the end result on a weekly basis.

"The club has an incredibly professional infrastructure worthy of its Premiership status and it is my aim to finish higher than we have before, and to bring the success that the chairman and the supporters deserve for their continued commitment."

Sanchez said:"I believe that the trust placed in me at this time needs to be repaid with 100% commitment.

Sanchez added: "Northern Ireland will be a great job for someone and I leave the team in good shape with them at the top of their Euro 2008 qualifying group.

"I wish them all the best for the future. They're disappointed but I hope they understand my actions."

The Irish Football Association released the following statement on their official website www.irishfa.com: "The Irish FA is obviously aware of the situation between Fulham Football Club and Lawrie Sanchez.

"And we would be the first to congratulate him on his appointment as their new manager and to recognise the outstanding job he has done for Northern Ireland football and the IFA."

We should try something like that, might save us a few quid...

Very harsh on Coleman.

Agreed.

Coleman would have "steered" them to safety too.  Fulham were always gonna stay up cos Charlton and Watford were destined for the drop and Sheff Utd, Wigan and West Ham were never gonna catch them.

I think Coleman has more in his locker than Sanchez. He accumulated a good squad there, they have had a few bad injuries. The one to Bullard being most noticeable. The lad started well for Fulham.

I don't think he will get another Premiership job at the moment but would like to see him back in football soon. He is a very young manager and one that I think will learn from the mistakes that he has made, hopefully he'll get a decent Championship team next season and brings them up to the Premiership.

I bet the Northern Irish are well f***** off with him.

Have to say I think its a bad decision on his part - he was doing really well with NI and I thought he would have had the professional decency to see the job through. Such a loyal man !!! >:(

I can seem him struggling next year.

Still. I cant help but be relieved. At the back of my head I had visions of FFS giving him a call !!!

Have to say I think its a bad decision on his part - he was doing really well with NI and I thought he would have had the professional decency to see the job through. Such a loyal man.

Still. I cant help but be relieved. At the back of my head I had visions of FFS giving him a call !!!

I am seriously pissed off at him but I always knew this was going to happen once he took the job. He was our only chance of reaching the 2008 Euros, we aren't like England in that we can throw money at another 'quality' manager we have a small budget and realisticly I don't know of anyone who can replace him.

Have to say I think its a bad decision on his part - he was doing really well with NI and I thought he would have had the professional decency to see the job through. Such a loyal man.

I am seriously pissed off at him but I always knew this was going to happen once he took the job. He was our only chance of reaching the 2008 Euros, we aren't like England in that we can throw money at another 'quality' manager we have a small budget and realisticly I don't know of anyone who can replace him.

Chris COleman needs a job.