Milner Through The Middle

Shak

Presuming Allardyce gets the job (which isn't by any means near certain) I would imagine that more often than not we'll be utilising the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation.

Losing Owen looks more and more likely, he's only got two years left on his deal and we'll be losing him for nothing then, so I'd assume we'll be looking at spending the money we get from him on a focal point for our attack, ala Drogba or Kevin Davies.

After that, it'll be key we get someone to play in the hole just off our target man, as Lampard does at Chelsea.

However, could this be a role which Milner might be better suited to? In a 4-5-1 you look for your wingers to be very pacey so they can get at the full-backs 1 on 1. I think Milner could be effective in one of those roles, probably on the left as it happens due to his lack of pace and how good a shot he has cutting inside.

But he may be better through the middle. He's direct, can run at defences and has an ever improving shot. With a role in the middle you can definitely see him hitting double figures for goals.

His first touch is good and he's quite a smart player as well so it could definitely be an option.

Or should we leave him on the wings?

If we are planning on playing that system, then he would be perfect for one of the wide men in a three pronged attack.

He would have to beef up in order to play through the middle, can't fault his workrate though.

Guest smoggeordie

his crossing is exellent with both feet, so i'd play him on the wing, but with the opportunity to get into the middle to shoot once in a while

No it isn't.

Guest teepee

his crossing is exellent with both feet, so i'd play him on the wing, but with the opportunity to get into the middle to shoot once in a while

No it isn't.

he's right - it really isnt.

but i wouldn't play him through the middle anyway - he is a winger

The only good thing about having him in the middle - he wouldn't let the ball run out of play!  It's so frustrating when he does that - can't he see the line?!!

Definitely keep him out on the wing.  His crossing is improving and his trickery can pose problems to defences - as long as he doesn't try to beat his man 3 times over.

Guest Ridzuan

Ive seen some instances where he gets in the middle and I think he is not bad playing in that role.However,I think he is more suited to play on the wide areas.He just needs to improve on his crosses a little bit and he will be fine.

Milner isn't fast enough to be playing out wide in that formation.

I agree about him playing through the middle, when you look at his weaknesses as a player you think lack of pace and his crossing isn't always up to standard, both wouldn't matter if he played through the middle.

He was always said to favour playing in the middle and was tipped to end up playing there so it wouldnt be a suprise.

His versatility is an asset, but he might find himself employed in that role this coming Sunday now Parker and Emre are out.

No it isn't.

he's right - it really isnt.

but i wouldn't play him through the middle anyway - he is a winger

Exactly right. Swapping people round where they aren't suited is how we end up with mediocre players like Dyer being played on the left and doing badly.

Milner gives a 100% all the time & is starting to add a few tricks to his game but lets not carried  away about his crossing & shooting, they are improving but for me they are average'ish.

I would be willing to play him through the middle he has played their lots of times for Peter Tayor when he was in charge of the U21's

Guest posadageordie

Flog him, it shows how desperate our season is when a bloke who can't beat his man or cross can be lauded to high heaven simply because he's young and tries quite hard.

Flog him, it shows how desperate our season is when a bloke who can't beat his man or cross can be lauded to high heaven simply because he's young and tries quite hard.

Can't beat his man?

That's complete and utter rubbish tbh.

Guest Knightrider

Not see him against Chelsea then?

His crossing is a bit hit and miss like but he does send in some good ones that never get picked up on. IMO it is down to the striker more than the man on the ball to make a half decent cross a telling one which Shearer was an expert at making such crosses look much better than they were.

Guest posadageordie

So who else would you flog from midfield?

Who would I sell from midfield? Dyer, Parker, Emre and Zico Martin for a start.

Guest posadageordie

Yes, he worked hard and had a good game for a change.

His crossing was utter dross, as ever though.

Guest Knightrider

Still sent in one or two tasty ones, all it takes is for one to go in - just a shame we don't have anyone that can anticipate a cross or make good use of it. Perhaps with Owen now back, that might change?

Shearer was an expert at making such crosses look much better than they were.

That being one of the major problems, they are still crossing for Shearer rather than playing through balls on the deck or doing them 'Arsenal' type slide back across the box passes . Crossing it in the air against centre backs like Nelson & Samba is a waste of time as far as I am concerned when Micky O & Oba are our front two.

Guest Knightrider

Shearer was an expert at making such crosses look much better than they were.

That being one of the major problems, they are still crossing for Shearer rather than playing through balls on the deck or doing them 'Arsenal' type slide across back across the box passes . Crossing it in the air against centre backs like Nelson & Samba is a waste of time as far as I am concerned me when Micky O & Oba are our front two.

Aye have to agree, that's where a quality coach comes in...

At Least Big Sam will sort that side of our game out.

Guest posadageordie

Still sent in one or two tasty ones, all it takes is for one to go in - just a shame we don't have anyone that can anticipate a cross or make good use of it. Perhaps with Owen now back, that might change?

Aye, having two forwards under 5 foot 9, one of which will be playing elsewhere next year will turn Milner into Chrissy Waddle in next to no time.

Claiming Milner can't beat a man is just stupid, its one of his biggest assets! As said, his crossing can be hit and miss but he has a good number of assists this season and has put in a few quality balls which we have failed to get on the end of. Can't be entirely blamed on Milner when only one player has managed to get themselves into the box half the time!