Michael Owen will not leave Newcastle United - Shearer

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Owen will not move on - Shearer

Shearer was key to Owen signing for Newcastle in 2005

Michael Owen will still be a Newcastle player next season, according to his former team-mate Alan Shearer.

Asked on BBC One's Inside Sport programme if striker Owen would still be at Newcastle for the start of the next campaign, Shearer said: "Yes."

He added that Owen feels guilty about the knee injury that kept him out for much of last season and is "frustrated" about reports that he wants to move on.

"He wants to get back playing and scoring goals for Newcastle," he added.

Injuries have limited Owen to just 14 games for the Magpies since his £17m move from Real Madrid in 2005.

Reports have suggested he has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for as little as £9m - with speculation linking to a move to one of the big four clubs in England.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has called for Owen to show some loyalty to the north-east club.

The criticism that has always been aimed at Newcastle is the number of goals they concede, so I would imagine defenders are the top priority

And Shearer, who was instrumental in Owen deciding to join Newcastle in 2005, feels Owen just wants to get back to playing games for the club.

He added: "Michael is probably slightly frustrated because he has a contract with Newcastle and he feels if every time he has to come out and say something about speculation he would be in the newspapers every day trying to deny things.

"It's a different story if Manchester United are linked with Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov and Liverpool are linked with players - and you don't see those players coming out and saying: 'Yes, that's true' or, 'That's not true'."

Owen, who was stretchered off with mild concussion in Newcastle's 1-1 draw with Watford on the final day of the season, suffered the knee ligament injury playing for England in the 2006 World Cup.

It came not long after he had returned to fitness following another long absence, with a broken foot.

"I don't think anyone felt as much guilt as he did when he went down injured that day," said Shearer.

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has been widely tipped to become Newcastle manager following Glenn Roeder's resignation on 6 May.

Shearer commented: "It's a huge job and there have been so many managers - I think I went through five or six in the 10 years I was there.

"There are a lot of personalities there that need sorting out. I think a lot of players have gone stale.

"Sam is an expert at getting the best out of players. I hope dearly he goes up there and wins a trophy. It is such a huge club and they are starved of success.

"One thing we can guarantee is he will get money to spend. I think it's defenders we need more than anything.

"The criticism that has always been aimed at Newcastle is the number of goals they concede, so I would imagine defenders are his top priority."

"It's a different story if Manchester United are linked with Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov and Liverpool are linked with players - and you don't see those players coming out and saying: 'Yes, that's true' or, 'That's not true'."

Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov says he wants to remain at White Hart Lane, telling Sky Sports News he wants to help Spurs break into the top four next season.

:idiot2: