Butt wants sorting out, pronto

Guest pistonism

Guest pistonism

By Tom Collomosse, PA Sport

Nicky Butt has claimed some of his Newcastle team-mates do not care about the club - and insisted the new manager must solve the problem immediately. Sam Allardyce is expected to be named Glenn Roeder's successor this week, and Butt indicated that the players would welcome the arrival of the former Bolton boss. But Butt, 32, believes the new chief's first task must be to bring unity to an unsettled dressing room.

"We haven't been told anything yet, but we have heard the speculation about Sam, and everyone seems confident it is going to be him," said Butt.

"Hopefully, he will be brought into the club and sort a few things out.

"The majority of the players in the changing room work hard and are good professionals.

"But there are a few who, generally, don't want to play for the club. The sooner that is sorted out, the better.

"I am not one to criticise my team-mates, but there are genuinely one or two players who don't want to be here. There are some players who have bad spells, but they give 100% in every game.

"But when there are other people who have the ability to do well, yet don't always want to do well, that is wrong."

There were more rumours of unrest at Newcastle during the build-up to their 1-1 draw at Watford yesterday. Winger Charles N'Zogbia was understood to have left the ground after learning he would only be among the substitutes for the final game of the season at Vicarage Road. Forward Obafemi Martins, meanwhile, declared himself unfit to play the day before the game with a knee injury. While Butt stopped short of admitting that Allardyce would be appointed, the former Manchester United player spoke warmly about the 52-year-old, indicating he would be a popular choice with the Magpies squad.

Butt continued: "He is definitely a no-nonsense man. He comes across as being an honest manager, and that is all you can ask for as a player.

"I know everyone has the highest respect for him as a coach, with all the new things he has brought into the game.

"He was at Bolton for eight years and got them high up the table - maybe higher than they should have been.

"Only time will tell if he does come, but, if he does, then all well and good.

"When a new manager comes in, you have to start from scratch, and every player is in the same boat.

"Hopefully, he will come in and sort one or two out."

Should Allardyce be appointed, resolving the situation of Michael Owen will be one of his principal jobs. United chairman Freddy Shepherd called for the England striker - who has been restricted by injury to just 14 appearances for the club since his move from Real Madrid in August 2005 - to pledge his future to the Tyneside outfit. Butt played for England with Owen at the 2002 World Cup, and added: "First and foremost, Michael is a footballer, and he wants to play at the highest level.

"It is up to Michael and the people at the club to work it out.

"I know when Michael is playing for Newcastle, he gives his all, and he proved that at Watford."

Owen was carried off with mild concussion at Vicarage Road after colliding with team-mate Matthew Pattison, but it is not expected to affect the 27-year-old's participation in the England B international against Albania at Burnley on May 25.

I  knew it.

Confirms what alot of us have suspected. Which players do you think he is talking about?

N'Zogbia, Dyer, Luque, Baba, Bramble would be my guess.

Add Moore for starters, then Carr...  hardly a revelation Luque doesnt want to be there, similar case to N'Zogbia.

I don't rate Butt as highly as some of you lot do, BUTT give him credit, he knows a winning dressing room, he has played for a team that could make a 0-1 scorline at 88mins become 2-1 at the end of 98mins (O0).  The likes of Shearer, Given , Speed have said fuck all about the wankers even directly or indirectly at the club. What Butt has said has touch of Keane, remember this from Roy:

"Some players were getting away with murder. Glory, believing the publicity, had cost us. Rolex watches, garages full of cars, mansions, set up for life - then they forgot about the game and lost the hunger that got the Rolex, the cars and the mansion."

Fair play to Nicky, he's not a certainty to be here next season himself but to be fair over the season he has been very committed to the cause and given his best along with many a fine preformance! Well said. Get the wasers out even if they are stars.

Why is everyone thinking Luque is one of them, ffs he never gets picked anyway :lol:

Earlier in the season, Nobby Solano and Albert Luque had been ordered by Roeder to board the team bus going to Middlesbrough after they found out they were not in the manager's starting line-up.

In addition, Craig Moore has been conspicuous by his absence lately because United felt he was spending too much time in Glasgow.

Why is everyone thinking Luque is one of them, ffs he never gets picked anyway :lol:

Earlier in the season, Nobby Solano and Albert Luque had been ordered by Roeder to board the team bus going to Middlesbrough after they found out they were not in the manager's starting line-up.

In addition, Craig Moore has been conspicuous by his absence lately because United felt he was spending too much time in Glasgow.

I'll be honest,if all the stuff written in todays news papers (though i assume they only wrote it to make up for a lack of news in the first few month in the summer), then that will mean our players were the ones that got Roeder sacked

Good job lads..

Guest Guinness

No shock there, hopefully Allardyce can come in and sort it out. If players don't want to play for the club they should be sold, especially if its the likes of Carr and Babayaro he's referring to.

No shock there, hopefully Allardyce can come in and sort it out. If players don't want to play for the club they should be sold, especially if its the likes of Carr and Babayaro he's referring to.

Tbh, anyone who doesn't want to play for the club should be sold.

Tbh, anyone who doesn't want to play for the club should be sold.

That wil leave us with Pattison and Carroll :lol: