Garth Crooks team of the Season

Martin Lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6653937.stm

BEN FOSTER (Watford)

Ben has been magnificent - just pipping David James for me - and he has shown everyone why Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United - his parent club - has invested so much faith in him.

He will soon be the number one goalkeeper in England, if he continues to progress in the way he has.

I think his season with Watford has benefited him and the club. They went down because they did not score enough goals, not because they let in too many.

EMMANUEL EBOUE (Arsenal)

Emmanuel is a prodigious talent, one of the best right-backs I have seen for some considerable time.

He is audacious in attack and uncompromising in defence. There are not many full-backs who can defend and attack with the same intensity and he has displayed that time and time again.

It is a trait of Brazilian full-backs and we are not used to seeing a player like this in the Premiership.

NICKY SHOREY (Reading)

Nicky has perhaps been the outstanding find in the Premiership this season. He has been truly magnificent.

He has been almost ever-present and his standard of football has earned his selection in the England B international later this month.

There is Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge and I think you have to now add Nicky Shorey to that list. He is very capable of stepping into the breach if needed by England.

RIO FERDINAND (Manchester United)

What can you say about Rio that has not already been said? He is the consummate defender, a player almost Alan Hansen-esque, very different to the likes of John Terry, say.

He has had an outstanding season and has held the captain's armband with distinction when Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs were not available.

For me, he has done as much as anyone else to ensure the Premiership title ended up back at Manchester United this season.

NEMANJA VIDIC (Manchester United)

I think Rio has been instrumental in bringing on his defensive partner's game this season and Vidic has all those aggressive qualities that maybe are not attributed to Ferdinand.

Vidic is the one who attacks everything, he is very committed and this partnership reminds me very much of Gary Pallister and Steve Bruce.

I think Vidic and Ferdinand have formed a relationship very quickly and they seem to complement each other very well indeed.

MICHAEL ESSIEN (Chelsea)

Michael is phenomenal. What a remarkable season he has had! He is a quietly spoken young man off the field and a pocket battleship on the field.

He has played in every position, bar that of goalkeeper, and has played in each of those roles with distinction. This kid is the closest thing I have ever seen to Bryan Robson, in terms of commitment, tackling ability and getting from box to box.

Michael is an all-round footballer, he can just do it all. He can play in any position and play there to a very high level.

STEVEN GERRARD (Liverpool)

I think Steven and Kaka are the two best midfield players in the world. When Steven is playing at his best for Liverpool or England, neither of those teams are going to lose.

I wonder sometimes why, when he is so dominant for Liverpool, he does not quite seem to be able to do the same for England as often.

Steven is such a phenomenal player, a marvellous talent. England are very lucky to have him and should be building a team around the ability of Steven Gerrard.

CRISTIANO RONALDO (Manchester United)

The Professional Footballers' Association Young Player of the Year, PFA Player of the Year, the Writers' Association Footballer of the Year - the accolades tell the story of Cristiano's season.

He is without any doubt one of the top three players in the world at the moment. What he has to do now is try to maintain his extraordinarily high level of performances.

He is at the top of his profession and what he needs to do to join the greats like Diego Maradona and Johan Cruyff is win things consistently throughout his career.

CARLOS TEVEZ (West Ham United)

The man in the headlines. Whatever you think about this situation, if you just look at his return of goals and the impact he has had on West Ham, it has just been remarkable.

Tevez, Mark Noble and Robert Green are the three reasons West Ham are staying up but Tevez's goals and his all-round inspirational performances have been extraordinary.

It is just better than fiction, this story. If you had taken this script to a film production company they would have told you this sort of thing does not happen.

DIMITAR BERBATOV (Tottenham Hotspur)

We are talking about a player who is cultured, sophisticated, a footballing artist. He is just so pleasing on the eye to football fans.

He has been magnificent and he is getting better and I believe the Spurs players have benefited from playing with him, especially the likes of Robbie Keane and Jermaine Jenas.

It will be very interesting to see if Spurs can hold on to him because I think he is the one player that all the top clubs - in England and Europe - would want to sign.

DIDIER DROGBA (Chelsea)

Last year Didier was the subject of some mirth but I always believed he was the best centre-forward in the Premiership since Alan Shearer.

He leads the line so well, never shirks his responsibility and is used as a battering ram by Chelsea, who play to him all the time and use him so relentlessly that he never gets a real rest.

Pick your Premiership team of the season on 606 

He has proved what a great goalscorer he is and he has scored some truly magnificent goals too, as well as all-but ironing out the flaw in his game where he falls over easily.

Wouldn't argue too much with that team apart from Ferdinand.  Carvalho would be my pick.

Guest smoggeordie

wouldnt have gerrard in there either

Didn't you know Gerrard gets in regardless of how he plays. Because he's Steven Gerrard.

Guest eyeball_tickler

i'd have picked lampard because he's scored 21 goals this season, 10 more than gerrard.

plus tevez didnt do anything for 25+ games this season so he probably shouldnt be in it.

I would dump the overrated Vidic for either Carvalho or Carragher.

I would put Finnan infront of Eboue.

I'm not fussed about Shorey as I don't think their has been any single outstanding LB.

The exclusion of Paul Scholes would be baffling if the team wasn't selected by a complete and utter retard. Easily ahead of Gerrard for me.

And Tevez hasn't done enough over the season, but I'm not sure who I would put there instead. An actual Left Winger? Matt Taylor for the wondergoals maybe.

I'd also change Garth Crooks for someone with more than half a brain.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

"I think Steven and Kaka are the two best midfield players in the world."

"He is at the top of his profession and what he needs to do to join the greats like Diego Maradona and Johan Cruyff is win things consistently throughout his career."

Garth, sincerely, you're a tit.

wouldnt have gerrard in there either

Didn't you know Gerrard gets in regardless of how he plays. Because he's Steven Gerrard.

Steven Gerrard always gets selected for the Best Team of the Year.

It's the law!

My best team outside the top 4.

Jaskelinian

Chimbonda    Campbell    Lescott      Shorey

Barry

Arteta                          Taylor

Berbatov          McCarthy            Viduka

Team of the season (IMO)

.........................Jaskelinian..............

Chimbonda..Carvalho...Vidic..Lescott

C.Ronaldo..Giggs..Scholes..(M)Taylor

..................Drogba...Mc Carthy.........

Benny Mc Carthy has been left out of most pundits top XI and I can't see why. Cost bugger all, second top scorer and has been pretty good in most games. Still according to my Blackburrrrn housemate "A bit lazy" but I guess he gets the goals. :)

Guest LucaAltieri

I would dump the overrated Vidic for either Carvalho or Carragher.

I would put Finnan infront of Eboue.

I'm not fussed about Shorey as I don't think their has been any single outstanding LB.

The exclusion of Paul Scholes would be baffling if the team wasn't selected by a complete and utter retard. Easily ahead of Gerrard for me.

And Tevez hasn't done enough over the season, but I'm not sure who I would put there instead. An actual Left Winger? Matt Taylor for the wondergoals maybe.

I'd also change Garth Crooks for someone with more than half a brain.

I recall Bridge being class the first half of the season.

Guest kingdawson

Foster, Eboue, Ferdinand, Gerrard and Tevez should be repalced by James, Finnan, Carvalho, Arteta and Scholes. Come to think of it, ill have Evra over Shorey to.

Foster, Eboue, Ferdinand, Gerrard and Tevez should be repalced by James, Finnan, Carvalho, Arteta and Scholes. Come to think of it, ill have Evra over Shorey to.

Spot on.

Although for the past 2 months Tevez single-handedly kept West Ham up, so it's harsh excluding him.

Guest Guinness

Good shout on Evra, completely forgot about him.