Gullit sticking oar in today

Guest johnson293

Guest johnson293

Just heard comment on Five Live news from Ruud Gullit (haven't found them in print yet).

Claims that we (Newcastle) cannot attract top players, and players only join us when they have no other option.

OOOOHHHH!!!!

One suspects he's still a little bitter????

MJ

Strange, what I caught of him on SSN he sounded alright;

Said the fans are great.

Club is a sleeping giant

Sam is the right man for the job.

Sam had big personality and is what NUFC needs.

Some dressing rooms problems but Sam can sort them out.

Won't turn it around stright away, will take time.

Guest johnson293

Its in this article, in a few more words...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6654121.stm

Former Newcastle manager Ruud Gullit wished Allardyce well in his new job.

He told the BBC: "I hope he will succeed because Newcastle is like a big giant that wants to wake up.

"The fans are great, the people are great there and I hope they can do it.

"The difficulty for them is to get the right players there because most players who want to come to England want to play for Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United or Liverpool - the big clubs. So for them it is difficult to get the right players.

"Sometimes players go there who maybe didn't want to but had no other choice.

"There are some outstanding players there but it hasn't been a team for one reason or another so I hope he will make a team. Team spirit will be the most important thing."

Seems Five Live news picked out the 'meaty' bits, without the context.

MJ

Strange, what I caught of him on SSN he sounded alright;

Said the fans are great.

Club is a sleeping giant

Sam is the right man for the job.

Sam had big personality and is what NUFC needs.

Some dressing rooms problems but Sam can sort them out.

Won't turn it around stright away, will take time.

What i saw as well.

Its in this article, in a few more words...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6654121.stm

Former Newcastle manager Ruud Gullit wished Allardyce well in his new job.

He told the BBC: "I hope he will succeed because Newcastle is like a big giant that wants to wake up.

"The fans are great, the people are great there and I hope they can do it.

"The difficulty for them is to get the right players there because most players who want to come to England want to play for Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United or Liverpool - the big clubs. So for them it is difficult to get the right players.

"Sometimes players go there who maybe didn't want to but had no other choice.

"There are some outstanding players there but it hasn't been a team for one reason or another so I hope he will make a team. Team spirit will be the most important thing."

MJ

The guy is simply lying through his teeth isn't he?  :lol:

I don't like him at all, but he's not said anything that isn't true.

Shearer, Tino, Bellamy, Owen, Albert, Given - not top players?

I wouldn't take much notice of a yeti who has been sacked from every coaching job he's ever had.

Well, in recent days the only real top player who signed for Newcastle was Michael Owen - and he really fits into Gullit's analysis tbh.

We signed Shearer & Asprilla when we were one of the big two, Albert signed after we'd just finished 3rd, and what big clubs were even going to touch Given & Bellamy before we signed them? Only Owen is the exception to the rule tbh.

Fair enough, but nothing ever stays constant, and if we can't attract the top top players now, why can't we in the future as we have before.  Saying they can't is final, full stop.

Guest gggg
Emre and Parker could have signed for Everton

Duff could have gone to Tottenham

Villa were more than happy to keep Solano

He said top players.

I guess Emre and Parker both do get much more money at Newcastle than they would at Everton. Same is likely to apply for Duff.

Anyway, Gullit's point was about top players from abroad and the big clubs and not mediocre players with interest from other mid-table clubs.

Guest Knightrider

Just heard comment on Five Live news from Ruud Gullit (haven't found them in print yet).

Claims that we (Newcastle) cannot attract top players, and players only join us when they have no other option.

OOOOHHHH!!!!

One suspects he's still a little bitter????

MJ

You have to read between the lines, what he's saying is that we don't atract the winners who want to win things here but players bought for big money and handed silly money and of course he's absolutely spot on. Say what you will about Gullit but he's a top man, he waved any right to compensation or a payoff when he left and was more than decent enough to hold his hands up and say he didn't do a good job. He has never ever said a bad word about us and my mate met him a few years back and considered him a top bloke and my mate fucking hated him for years.

I guess Emre and Parker both do get much more money at Newcastle than they would at Everton. Same is likely to apply for Duff.

Anyway, Gullit's point was about top players from abroad and the big clubs and not mediocre players with interest from other mid-table clubs.

Just watched the interview on BBC News. He only said that players would want to sign for the top four ahead of us, which isn't what I thought he said.

He also said that Allardyce was a good coach and he hoped he would succeed because we are a good club.

Guest Douga

Only manager to stand up to shearer and the club and try to sortt out the problem.

Shepherd did not like this so booted him

It went against the family morals of The Family newcastle

E.g Clark,Mcdermott, Shearer, Shepherd and many more

Alladyce also didnt stand for this after wlaking out of the meeting room for managers job a few years back for a player being in the room.

Only manager to stand up to shearer and the club and try to sortt out the problem.

Shepherd did not like this so booted him

It went against the family morals of The Family newcastle

E.g Clark,Mcdermott, Shearer, Shepherd and many more

Alladyce also didnt stand for this after wlaking out of the meeting room for managers job a few years back for a player being in the room.

typical anti board rubbish that has been spouted over the past few years. I have said it was rubbish, and todays events prove that it was, there is no way in the world any manager with the standards of Allardyce would ever have came back if that had been true.

Gullit had lost the plot and the players BTW, he knows it himself and admitted it