Next season - my views, expectations etc. (chip in with yours)

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Now that we have appointed Big Sam as our new manager I have 100% faith in his abilities to successfuly manage our football club and while I don't quite know to which extent we'll be successful, I really do believe he will get us back into the top 6 in the long term and maybe even win us a trophy (Bolton have came close more than we have over the years to both - top 6 and a trophy) which I would consider very successful given where we will have had to come from which goes without saying is the mess of Souness and Roeder (you can't get too much lower than that aside from relegation).

And, depending on funding, a bit of luck and whether the board allow him to run every aspect of the club how he sees fit (within reason) or not, well the sky could be the limit really as he is a very ambitious man and has already stated his intentions long term - top four, Title challenge and Champions League football. Given our resources why not. (I'm not saying he will achieve these things BTW, he will, however, go for these things - his words)

That is long-term, in between he will obviously need time and patience as this isn't just about correcting the first-team and football side of things but off the pitch he has to create a whole new system, implement it and getting it to work which is as big a task as any and will not be something that can be done over night.

Now because I regard the entire structure of the club to be of more importance than results on it or rather the football team, I personally will give Sam all the time it takes as for my money he is the right man and someone I trust and have beleif in to do the job I am looking for him to do (top 6, cup run, lay foundations off it etc.) as already covered above. This means I will even accept two shit seasons (ala Sir Bobby Robson's first two) from him if that is what it will take which I think it could well do.

Therefore my expectations next season, despite my jubilation at his appointment, are pretty realistic I think and maybe even a tad low. In short I will be happy with a top 10 finish and expect a similar season to the one Villa have had. Disappointing in the main but with clear signs that we are heading in the right direction. Anything above and beyond the top 10 would be classed as a bonus by me.

Despite Big Sam's abilities and the few decent players we already have not to mention the promise of more yet to be signed, I think the whole club needs shaken up and basically to start from scratch. I look at Newcastle as a club and see a whole load of mess that will take years to sweep away in my opinion, regardless of manager. The fact we now have a good one now means the clean up jobe will get done so to speak and that alone will make me happy, never mind on field results.

Coaching, diet, fitness, training all that is now covered and will be taken care of by Big Sam and whoever he employs as part of his backroom staff, for once these thinsg will not worry me or have me hoping or looking at as things we could badly do with because I now know they're coming and once there will not be overseen by idiots like Terry Mac but skilled people. If allowed to impliment his system there won't be a club in the country with our kind of structure, well, maybe Bolton. (This will all take time of course)

So safe in the knowledge that off the pitch is now being covered, worked on and will in time be "sorted" under Big Sam I turn to the team itself and this is what I'll be looking for from that...

Unity, team spirit, shape, organisation, discipline, work ethic, well drilled, hard to beat, going places.

I'm not too bothered about results or league position so long as the players on the pitch show all of the above and I can see at least some kind of light at the end of what will I feel, be a very long tunnel.

That's me, that's my thoughts on Big Sam, next season and my expectations.

I now implore every Toon fan to bite their lip whenever - as the man himself says - a sticky patch arises because there will be a few, football doesn't work any other way. If we do that I think at the end of it all we'll be celebrating Big Sam, our team and more importantly our club. With Roeder and Souness a sticky patch wasn't no "swings and roundabouts" it was a sign of trouble, big trouble as it turned out. Under Sam it will be a blip, a set back, a minor hicup on the road to success all clubs go through, especially successful ones.

If we don't and Big Sam goes the way of others we won't deserve to see any success here and nor will we see it because you can't chop and change your manager everytime we hit a bump in the road and we now need to give this man who remember is the right man (on paper anway) as long as it takes, just like Sir Bobby. For he is no Roeder, Gullit, Souness or Dalglish. In fact I predict he'll be to this Newcastle what KK was to the '92 Newcastle, a catalyst who will drag this club up by its bootstraps and reverse the mismanagement and failures that have proceeded KK (with the exception of SBR) and I really believe that. This isn't a hunch it is based on the fact that we now have a manager who is as ambitious as they come, who has all the personal skills required, who has the ability to overhaul the structure of the club, lead and motivate players, buy well and above all else - who is exactly what we need or are looking for.

Well the search is over. Bring on Big Sam and here's to better things.  :thup:

Guest posadageordie

Sticky rebuilding season but more fight and an extra ten points or so. Next year (and probably the one after) is all about getting the shit out of our club and building things up behind the scenes.

Guest andynufc84

Can't be arsed to read the OP, but it probably makes sense.

Think he'll need time, I'm hopeful-ish about the coming season

good first season top 10 finish and intertoto if possible and a clear out of dead wood over the summer

great season uefa cup spot

fantastic never going to happen finish = cup final/winning a cup

what I try not to think about is how good the league has gotten outside the top 3 I would say even the lower teams on their day can put pay to those you expect to cruise to a win, so I think our finishing depends on how well other teams progress this summer/who is taken over and massively invested in

For the first time in a while, I feel I can relax. I have faith in his judgement, and I think he has a strong enough personality to impose his ideas from top to toe of the club.

Over the last four years, I've often wondered what the hell was going on, and queried a lot of the decisions. Sam, I can trust.

For the first time in a while, I feel I can relax. I have faith in his judgement, and I think he has a strong enough personality to impose his ideas from top to toe of the club.

Over the last four years, I've often wondered what the hell was going on, and queried a lot of the decisions. Sam, I can trust.

Agree 100%.

Guest Knightrider

The league is a funny one really, we finished 14 points off 5th place and when I look at it I don't think 14 points is out of our reach should we tighten up at the back and add the goals of say a Michael Owen. However next season will be far more competitive I feel as a good number of clubs will have good money to spend, even those that usually don't spend much. West Ham, Villa, Pompey, Spurs, Reading maybe, Wigan even and the mackems will all spend money, where as your Blackburns and Boltons could easily maintain their respective positions as top 10 clubs, not to mention Everton, so things will be very tough.

Top 10 finish, 6pts from Spurs, the Scum and I'll be over the fucking Universe.  (Skipped the moon altogether)

I'd be even willing to settle with top 10 and just points from the aforementioned.  Well, at least one win from those four games. 

The best thing he can do is sort out the hangers on, get rid of all those who bring nothing to the club.  The players we have will see us through next season so he needs to sort his staff out, get it right off the field and the rest will come with a bit of work.

I really hope to see the back of people like Terry Mac, he offers nothing to the club.  I think he cares about Newcastle but that isn't enough.

Guest Knightrider

Aye, trust is something I have in him, I'm not concerned about anything now and do feel like a huge weight has been lifted, I'm gonna enjoy the summer and the madness that follows now. Every negative we can think of under Roeder now becomes a positive under Big Sam.

Taylor has potential but in Roeder and co they haven't a clue how to handle it. Changes now.

Ramage is shit and needs to go as he'll never improve. Big Sam is renowned for making average players perform above their station.

Luque is a waster - I give you Diouf

If we can keep this and that fit... We now have a fitness expert on board :D

Everything is positive.

The league is a funny one really, we finished 14 points off 5th place and when I look at it I don't think 14 points is out of our reach should we tighten up at the back and add the goals of say a Michael Owen. However next season will be far more competitive I feel as a good number of clubs will have good money to spend, even those that usually don't spend much. West Ham, Villa, Pompey, Spurs, Reading maybe, Wigan even and the mackems will all spend money, where as your Blackburns and Boltons could easily maintain their respective positions as top 10 clubs, not to mention Everton, so things will be very tough.

Tbh i think with this new money coming in clubs will get over charged for players.

Its great to see this forum in such optimistic mood i cant remember the last time it was like this. I cant wait to see a fit well organised newcastle side, I'd love to see SA bring in a nobody for pennies and after the 1st season he's worth £££, For to long we have been over charged for players who'd end up being shit for us and then down the road a team like Rovers spend £400k and get a better player, I do get angry sometimes because we go out and spend £8.5m on someone like Boumsong only to have another shit player who ends up going for less than half we paid for him.

Over the past 2-3 seasons the mood of the newcastle fans has been very pessimistic and going to the games has stop being fun but now everyone seems optimistic and with SA taking over i think next season is going to be cracking.

Guest Guinness

Agree with whats been said so far. For the first time in a while I actually have faith in the manager. Couldn't help but smile listening to the press conference today when he was talking about tackling the injury problems head on, stating that he was a firm believer in pro zone and talking about the structure of the club both on and off the pitch. Having gotten used to the ramblings of Souness and Roeder it's nice to have a manager who clearly knows his stuff. I recognise changes will take time, but I can accept that knowing I have complete faith in the man in charge. From being depressed just a few weeks ago I'm now genuinely looking forward to next season.

Guest Knightrider

OK we've discussed the positives but there are one or two things where I can see some possible problems arising from any sticky patches that crop up, namely...

The size of the backroom team - if things aren't going according to plan the board may well look to justify the cost of servicing Big Sam's backroom team which could cause problems.

OK we've discussed the positives but there are one or two things where I can see some possible problems arising from any sticky patches that crop up, namely...

The size of the backroom team - if things aren't going according to plan the board may well look to justify the cost of servicing Big Sam's backroom team which could cause problems.

Allardyce has said that his backroom staff was one of the reasons he shopped in the bargain basement so it looks as if he had the choice at Bolton so he'll probably have the same here.  I would guess that he has so much to spend and it will be up to him how he does it.

Guest Knightrider

With every thread you make expectation rises tbh...

More fool them then as I'm banging on about finishing in the top 10 as my expectations for next season :D

My Expectations (or things that must happen):

I never want to see us topping the Premiership Injury Table they way we have done every season since... well... since Gullit at least.

I do not want to see us beaten at home to a Champioship side 5-1.

I never want to see Carr play for us again.

I want a complete clearout of our staff including Clarkie and Terry Mac. Both love the club neither have any real management/coaching skills. This clearout should include our physios and conditioning coaches. (The gardener/groundsman can stay - say what you will about the ineptitude of our staff... but the pitch seems to be finally coming together.)

If Allardyce must insist on bring back people from our past to be a part of our back room staff I would only appreciate the return of: Speed or Craig. The return of Steve Clarke or John Carver would be neutral anyone else would raise some concern for me.

I want him to maintain his ruthlessly dispassionate system of team selection that would mean dropping favourites (even the likes of Owen, Solano and Given) when they fail to perform.

HTT - great post.  For the first time in...well, eons...we're all gloriously optimistic again.

I think we'll do okay(ish) next season - improving on the dreadful garbage we're been served up this season, harder to beat, players actually knowing what they're doing, etc.  Top 8 and I'll be happy, because Sam will have reversed the ominous decline of our great club.

However, it'll be (yet another) season of transition.  I'd love Sam to wave a magic wand and clear out the wasters in the next few weeks but, with most of them being on daft contracts, I wonder how long this will really take?  Seasons 2 and 3 will be the ones where it really takes off.

By getting Allardyce in, I think the board have realized the need for a monumental transition behind the scenes - it's a statement of intent that was long overdue.  Big Sam wouldn't have come here if he didn't think he could transform the shambles that had become Newcastle United. 

And that, my friends, means we're finally back on the road to being a significant force in the Premiership.

It wouldn't surprise me if Newcastle's next two windows are similar to when Arnesen went to Spurs, it seemed like a new face coming in every other day and a bit of deadwood leaving twice a week!

There is so much to do, not just playing staff, but all the backroom jobs, the training, the medical side etc, it wouldn't surprise me to see the playing side suffer in the short term.  But SA is the only English manager I would imagine taking that job on head on (Mark Hughes is the other and he is Welsh) so at the end of next season I would guess between 8th-12th with the restructuring of the club completed.

There was a lot more wrong with Spurs when Arnesen first went to WHL than is the case at SJP now, but the work to be done is pretty well the same and Spurs started 2 years earlier.  Also, all the clubs above Newcastle this season will have a lot of extra TV money to spend.  I think probably 2 years, possibly 3 years, before Newcastle  are pushing hard for a top 6 finish.

The important thing is to remember the level where SA is starting from and judge at the end of next season how much progress has been made, not simply getting despondent if Newcastle finish the season in (say) 12th place.

Guest TheOrder

It wouldn't surprise me if Newcastle's next two windows are similar to when Arnesen went to Spurs, it seemed like a new face coming in every other day and a bit of deadwood leaving twice a week!

There is so much to do, not just playing staff, but all the backroom jobs, the training, the medical side etc, it wouldn't surprise me to see the playing side suffer in the short term.  But SA is the only English manager I would imagine taking that job on head on (Mark Hughes is the other and he is Welsh) so at the end of next season I would guess between 8th-12th with the restructuring of the club completed.

There was a lot more wrong with Spurs when Arnesen first went to WHL than is the case at SJP now, but the work to be done is pretty well the same and Spurs started 2 years earlier.  Also, all the clubs above Newcastle this season will have a lot of extra TV money to spend.  I think probably 2 years, possibly 3 years, before Newcastle  are pushing hard for a top 6 finish.

The important thing is to remember the level where SA is starting from and judge at the end of next season how much progress has been made, not simply getting despondent if Newcastle finish the season in (say) 12th place.

Think you've slightly exaggerated the quality of the teams above us, and those who have finished 5th, 6th. If it takes us three seasons to compete with Spurs and Everton, I'll be very suprised.